2021 Recruiting Class & Transfers In

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You are correct. My mistake. I was looking at the wrong years. Nevertheless, he was no more successful than Chan when you look at his whole body of work, and he left the program in worse shape than Chan-- as we have seen the last 2 years.

It would have been in great shape for a 3O coach. That was the ADs decision to switch. Not that that's a wrong decision, but it does need to be factored in.

herb

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. My mistake. I was looking at the wrong years. Nevertheless, he was no more successful than Chan when you look at his whole body of work, and he left the program in worse shape than Chan-- as we have seen the last 2 years.
He was a whole lot more successful than Chan

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are pretty much right where I am on this. We will never be able to recruit against Alabama, UGA etc. We just need to find a couple of really good players, develop some guys and find a scheme that can cover our deficiency. And pray we have limited injuries. You are correct that CPJ and his offense will not return, but there are offensive schemes out there we should be running other than the vanilla scheme, which is really a Texas High School scheme, we run today. I look at Coastal Carolina and Georgia Southern and believe we need this scheme.

Because what many fail to see is our recruiting issue is not impacting offense, it is impacting the other side of the ball. We have never been able to recruit numbers of D- lineman and linebackers and as such our defense has always been our problem. CPJ recognized this and that is why when you run his offense you limit the other team to 9-10 possessions. For most teams that score at some where around 40%, that means 28-24 points. Then you just need to score at 45%. Yes Clemson is an exception but it wasn't always that way. When you run an offense like we do going three and out and giving the other team 18-20 possessions....well that is anywhere between 49 and 70 points you have to overcome. Sounds a lot like our scores this year.

I believe CGC has a very big challenge ahead of him but frankly it is a lot of his own making. He will need to change is Offense in order to get back to 6-7 wins and I hope he sees this. And as for Tech being able to recruit at the levels some believe, they point to O'leary and his tenure but lest we forget, when George left we were only graduating about 40% and went on probation. Under todays APR we would be losing numerous scholarships.
Man, can’t disagree with any of this. You are probably a little more hopeful than me, but I think this is pretty much spot on. CGC must do 2 things for sure, assuming he can “head coach”, and those are get an innovative offense & recruit like a madman to the front 7 on D, especially the middle of that front 7. Oh yeah, did I mention he has to coach ‘em up as well? 😃

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
he had 5 seasons out of 11 where the team won over 7 games. So that’s 6 seasons of mediocre or worse football. He was no Bear Bryant. Hell he wasn’t Mark Richt.
Nobody said he was Bear Bryant or Marky Mark, how did you come to that conclusion from my or anyone else's post?

Losing seasons and mediocre seasons are not the same, you understand that right? Although by your standard CGC has 3 of his 4 seasons at HC as "mediocre or worse" (hint: they are worse), and his best season ever a single win over "mediocre or worse". Hell if CGC can manage a "mediocre" 7-win season half the people on this board would want to crown him king and give him a lifelong contract.

Now this is the part where you start making excuses.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes, unless you're UGa, then you can have the State build a "livestock exhibit hall" which you will use as a basketball coliseum. In fairness, they did use it once a year for livestock exhibition.
Checked a little further into this and discovered the intricacies of funding college athletics is beyond my pay grade. I will trust those who’ve studied this in detail to alert us if anything changes on how Tech athletics gets or does not get support from the administration.

Since only 20% of college athletic programs make money I wonder what creative things are being done at some schools. Ohio State built some athletic buildings awhile back and then rented them to the athletic department. That was the most creative thing I saw. But I will move on from this subset of the larger discussion.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
he had 5 seasons out of 11 where the team won over 7 games. So that’s 6 seasons of mediocre or worse football. He was no Bear Bryant. Hell he wasn’t Mark Richt.

But only 3 where he won less than 7, and only 2 losing seasons. CGC has already tied that last mark in his first two tries. We could keep playing this game, but in all reality, we just need to hope that CGC can get us to mediocre in the next couple of years. It will be at least two more years before we have a realistic shot at 8-9 wins again.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody said he was Bear Bryant or Marky Mark, how did you come to that conclusion from my or anyone else's post?

Losing seasons and mediocre seasons are not the same, you understand that right? Although by your standard CGC has 3 of his 4 seasons at HC as "mediocre or worse" (hint: they are worse), and his best season ever a single win over "mediocre or worse". Hell if CGC can manage a "mediocre" 7-win season half the people on this board would want to crown him king and give him a lifelong contract.

Now this is the part where you start making excuses.
Don’t bring up CGC. Their contention that the first two years should be attributed to the prior coach and definitions of a “mediocre” season immediately bring into question the reasoning behind CGC’s hiring. They don’t like that.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
For the most part, this I can agree with. The factories will probably pick up some transfers after the late signing period, as they always do. They have to wait for the blue chip holdouts to commit on the Feb NSD. For the most part, they were ahead of us in the rankings. Auburn was the only one below us. The real question is going to be will classes in the 30-35 range get us where we want to be, or is this year a one off? If CGC gets us back into the top 25 routinely with occasional top 20, then I think we have a chance.
Even that's not enough to get us where he has promised us. In order to be in the acc championship and playoff (what coach has promised) top 25 here and there, occasional top 20'ish likely won't cut it with what we have.

ScGold

Banned
fpr recruits we have 17. Transfers....who know what they are. The best supposedly is a 2 star fro ODU. We also lost 2 4 stars. AB and James Graham were big losses. But again who cares. Give me a team of 3 stars that win 11 games.....
How is Graham a big loss? He wasn't going to play Qb, wr, rb or any other position. He wasnt the 2nd best qb. How is a often injured disgruntled ab a loss? He has been easily replaced.

ScGold

Banned
Nowhere have I said that taking these transfers was a mistake. I was simply pointing out that we aren't the only school getting transfers. FWIW, I think CGC has definitely moved the needle on recruiting far beyond what I expected in year 1. That year 2 was a drop off I can accept when all that happened this year is factored in. The question remains to be answered is has he moved the needle enough for GT to compete with peers who recruit in the same neighborhood as us. We will know in years 4-6.
Find another school that took as many 4yr eligible players as tech did? The 4 players that transfered are essentially fr coming in. We would have24 recruits. Where is the disconnect?

ScGold

Banned
1. I am not complaining. Just pointing out the assertion you made 30 minutes ago is false.
2. And your initial reaction to that was one word: "false"
3. Who knows, because you've obstinately refused to admit you posted false information.

I don't need to analyze the data to know we don't have the 15th best recruiting class in the nation.
Data is like the weather or seafood market changes constantly. Lay off with the constant challenges. Seems u keep poking for the enjoyment of it. If so, ur wrong.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Even that's not enough to get us where he has promised us. In order to be in the acc championship and playoff (what coach has promised) top 25 here and there, occasional top 20'ish likely won't cut it with what we have.
The question of for those who expected for us to be there in year 2? That’s on them for having ridiculous expectations and projecting from that. The idea is to improve recruiting, start to show that in on field results and to keep improving in both. It’s not a quick fix but over time build then program do that level. Anyone who thinks this is only a 5 year vision isn’t paying attention.

Last edited: