2021 Recruiting Class & Transfers In

Apples and oranges. Two of Chan's 6 years Tech played an 11 game schedule--not 12. Chan's teams played 3 1-AA/FCS schools in 6 years. Johnson's teams played 13 FCS/I-AA schools in 11 years. Johnson had more chances to get to 9 wins.

And 2 of the 4 9 win seasons you refer to under Johnson were due to Chan's recruiting--and recruiting is a big part of a head coach's job, even though some on this board won't recognize it.

Chan never had fewer than 7 wins, while Johnson had losing seasons almost half the time, and more than half the time after he ran out of Chan's recruits.

Then he left behind the worst talent situation since Pepper--who also ran the TO.

Why some people are so in love with the mediocrity we experienced from 2010 -2018--and it was getting worse--is beyond me.
So Chan's first two years were with O'leary players...he won 7 and then 6 games. CPJ won 9 and then 11...with players that came from a 7 win season the year before.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Apples and oranges. Two of Chan's 6 years Tech played an 11 game schedule--not 12. Chan's teams played 3 1-AA/FCS schools in 6 years. Johnson's teams played 13 FCS/I-AA schools in 11 years. Johnson had more chances to get to 9 wins.

And 2 of the 4 9 win seasons you refer to under Johnson were due to Chan's recruiting--and recruiting is a big part of a head coach's job, even though some on this board won't recognize it.

Chan never had fewer than 7 wins, while Johnson had losing seasons almost half the time, and more than half the time after he ran out of Chan's recruits.

Then he left behind the worst talent situation since Pepper--who also ran the TO.

Why some people are so in love with the mediocrity we experienced from 2010 -2018--and it was getting worse--is beyond me.
Some of us enjoyed beating UGA every once in a while and going to Orange Bowls. Here's hoping Collins can get us back to that.

Deleted member 2897

CPJ's ACC opponents also had 22 bye weeks before playing us in his 11 years (not to mention other scheduling garbage). We lost about 1 win per year because of that, when you look at what our win percentage was against teams coming off a bye week versus not. We can go back and forth on these all day long.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Has transferring changed things that dramatically? The top 10 teams in the recruiting rankings took 3 incoming transfers total. Most programs dont take more than 2-3 transfers and most top programs take zero. Im not sure recruiting services need to put in effort to rerank middle to lower tier teams just because they went the transfer route instead of the recruiting route. Like you said, properly doing this is not a trivial task. You would have to rerank every player, every year. Even reranking them is difficult. How do you rerank a guy who was ranked high out of HS but couldnt get on the field in college?
No room?
Many transfers couldn’t start for those teams?
Still relying on HS recruits?
Over signing?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nonsense. For years people talked about how we couldn't take transfers due to credit transfer issues and it was talked about as secondary issue (usually when people were talking about the limits the academics put on our recruiting). So why the sudden change? Lets see, a global pandemic that disrupted college football so much that the NCAA isn't counting eligibility use for this year and allowing for immediate eligibility to transfers. That alone justifies a rethinking of how to evaluate classes overall, but for a GT specific purpose, when have we ever added 8 transfers in a year, 4 of them freshmen? What reasons are there to NOT make an attempt to adjust for transfers? Laziness and not wanting to put in the legwork? Solved that issue. Only other one I can think of is a desire to depict the situation in a certain way that would be harder to do with adjusting for transfers.

Not true. We took transfers all the time under CPJ and CCG. We didn't often get JUCO guys, and we still likely won't land those guys because of credit transfer issues.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you guys don't think we had good defenses under CCG you will never be satisfied. Of course there are going to be some teams who get the better of you but that does not mean the team was not a good defensive team. The 2014 team forced a lot of turnovers but that was not a good defensive team overall.
“A lot of turnovers” meaning our turnover ratio was conference leading as I recall. Defense was average but turnover margin made up for a lot and won a lot of games for us. Georgia game comes to mind.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
At the risk of insulting and annoying people who don't like anything but the highest expectations, imagine we can never beat Clemson or uGA and can only beat Miami maybe every other year. And same with maybe a Virginia Tech/North Carolina. With bowl games and ACCCG, you're still talking a 9/10-win team if you beat everyone else.

By way of illustration, in the 2020 recruiting class, here is the number of 4-star recruits the teams had who finished ranked in the 20s: 8, 8, 9, 7, 6, 4, 4, 8, 5, 2. The point here is it doesn't take unreasonable/impossible recruiting to materially move the needle. 4-6 guys rated 4-stars each year and we're in the 20s. If you perform to how your recruits are ranked, being ranked in the 20s each year in terms of on-field performance also equates to a 9-win team most years.

I'm not trying to say we should settle for 9 wins as a goal, I'm just saying there's absolutely no reason why we can't get there. And those are very good teams. It will be a completely different fan experience compared to where we've been the last few years.

Here is where you and I are probably most in agreement. We are going to have to get used to the fact that we are probably going to be a 7-8 win team (regular season) competing for a shot at the ACCCG and hoping to tack on a win or two in the postseason. Most years we will not beat uga, and Clemson, and UNC/Miami/VT will be hard games to win as well. Lose all 5 of those and we are a 7 win team at best. The only quibble is that we are going to have to out-recruit the teams ahead of us or at least pull within range to truly compete. Right now we aren't quite there.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
“A lot of turnovers” meaning our turnover ratio was conference leading as I recall. Defense was average but turnover margin made up for a lot and won a lot of games for us. Georgia game comes to mind.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I do remember GT being known for defense in the early 2000's. May be my homer glasses getting foggy again though...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

When CPJ was coach I heard religiously the same narratives by those who did not like the spread option attack. Those narratives included “he can’t recruit” “his best teams were with Chan’s recruits” “his offensive lines were too small” “recruits don’t want to play for a triple option team” “the offense can’t play from behind” “the program doesn’t prepare people for the pros” etc. The 2014 season temporarily muted some of these narratives but they came back even stronger after that.

Some of us liked CPJ not just because we liked him or his offense. We liked him because other narratives seemed more important including, the administration does not give sufficient resources or support to the program, staff will always be underpaid or limited in numbers, academics including APR is a constant challenge to overcome and running a program with integrity is playing with one hand tied behind your back against football factories. Bobby Dodd acknowledged these narratives which is why he was always relying on what other coaches called gimmicks but which he saw as trying to find an edge.

I believe CGC also understands the need for an edge. He is going with branding, ATL and the 404. He is also arguing that Tech can be a pipeline to the NFL. He is going all out to create a new edge. I applaud that.

I remain hopeful. But the narrative that CPJ somehow ran the program in the ground strikes me as very narrow when certain things have been a challenge at Tech for a long time and will only get more challenging unless something changes.

Finally, and not to be too long winded, but CGC is the right coach for this time because he may be the perfect litmus test to tell us certain things about Tech. Can we recruit like the factories? Can we run a vanilla offense that is indistinguishable from most other college teams? Can we eliminate academic standards as the road block it is for 80% of the top recruits? Can we inspire the administration to finally make a competitive financial commitment? Can we consistently win 8-9 wins a season?

By 2022 we will know a lot more about what the narratives are that are driving Tech’s fortunes. Narratives blaming CPJ will be obsolete.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Transfers do make a huge difference sometimes .Ignoring that is dangerous. Look at the QB at miami.He made a erratic OFF team into a real threat and he's coming back.The BC QB Stepped in and led them.As did the guy at uga.
I hope that five of these transfers this yr will start by next season.In fact if they don't ,we may have a bigger problem.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
So Chan's first two years were with O'leary players...he won 7 and then 6 games. CPJ won 9 and then 11...with players that came from a 7 win season the year before.
Haven't kept up with rcruiting over those years, have you? Of course, now I understand where you are coming from. You are a UGa grad.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
GT had 3 losing seasons during CPJs 11 years. Your math is wrong.
You are correct. My mistake. I was looking at the wrong years. Nevertheless, he was no more successful than Chan when you look at his whole body of work, and he left the program in worse shape than Chan-- as we have seen the last 2 years.