2021 G1 NIU ATL Depth Chart

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Nobody has mentioned Peery.Is he now 4th string QB ? hmmm I know the guys in front have more exp, but that's surprising a tad...
Not really. He is 4th string. Beatty being ahead of him is not a big shocker. He knows the offense well, the coaches and is a experienced guy.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Nobody has mentioned Peery.Is he now 4th string QB ? hmmm I know the guys in front have more exp, but that's surprising a tad...
Thought he’s compete right away, but relegated to the pines. Interesting.

Blackstrain’s also missing. Wonder what happened to him?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our starting safeties (Juanyeh and Tariq) are as big as our LBs.

Not really many surprises on the ATL. As we all know, just because someone isn't listed ATL doesn't mean they won't play.

Gotta like how 2020 "Covid year" meant a lot of our guys got a "free" development year. It's going help down the road with our guys in the trenches. Look at the difference between what a year did for a guy like Jordan Williams and Jared Ivey.

That runningback group is murderous. Have fun LBs and DBs.

Speaking of DBs, this is probably the first time in a long time I can remember our DB 2 deep without someone under 6ft.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Blackstrain is out for the year. Injury
Man, both top WRs are injured. First Blackburn and now Blackstrain. We haven’t even made it to the first snap and they’re dropping like flies. Worried about Blackstrain, he was coming off an injury his Junior year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I know that what with the COVID year the class status is skewed, but, Laws, our DL is young. If I had my druthers, I'd see more youth (but not much more) on the OL and less on the DL. I hope that we age quickly over there; the talent is present, if we can hold the first for a few games.

Other then that, no real surprises for me. I particularly wasn't surprised to see Tatum show up.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Thought he’s compete right away, but relegated to the pines. Interesting.

Blackstrain’s also missing. Wonder what happened to him?
WR is a pretty deep room. Not a big surprise. Harris, Carter, King, Norris, McGowan, Boyd, Sanders, Rutherford, McCollum are all ahead of him. You don’t need a ton of receivers to be ATL and not a big shocker for James since he’s coming off his torn ACL and conditioning and the weight room will be big for him coming off of that.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
WR is a pretty deep room. Not a big surprise. Harris, Carter, King, Norris, McGowan, Boyd, Sanders, Rutherford, McCollum are all ahead of him. You don’t need a ton of receivers to be ATL and not a big shocker for James since he’s coming off his torn ACL and conditioning and the weight room will be big for him coming off of that.
I wouldn’t call WR deep. It’s a weak point from a playmaker perspective. We really need a difference maker to emerge there

slugboy

Staff member
The quotes here should be in some of the coaches’ press conference videos, but there are a few tidbits:

7 things to note in Georgia Tech's first 'Above the Line' chart of season

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...e-chart-of-season/DWWWGRBCJFFFVDZ3XNYFHDWCUY/

(Via AJC News)

• Out of the 10 OL on the ATL chart, expect to see some rotation. Patenaude said “6 or 7”, but that’s just subbing in one or two players. We’ll probably see some heavy rotation.
  • Look for Kevin Harris getting time at DE
  • We have experience, but not a lot of seniors.
  • Just because a player didn’t make the ATL doesn’t mean that they’re not good. There are a few players out for injury, but prior to the first game is about as healthy as the roster is going to be in a season. Some players will come on as they get healthy, and others will come off (hopefully temporarily) as they need to heal up.
JMHO, but if this is a good game for us, I would expect to see a lot of rotation. I’d expect a mix of getting starters used to playing with each other and communicating with each other at game speeds, mixing in other players to keep everyone fresh and healthy, and getting some game reps in for players who haven’t had much of them. As many injuries as we’ve had over the last couple of years, I think the big majority of our players have had real game experience.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see healthy players not on the ATL get in, if everything goes well Saturday.

Last edited: