2021 G1 NIU ATL Depth Chart

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Completion percentage, yards per attempt, and TD/INT are pretty standard statistics to measure a QBs performance. I'm not sure why you think they are cherry picking. Either way, all I was saying is that he has to improve his accuracy. He was a 51% passer as a Senior in HS, and then 55% his first year in college. I would hope we agree that has to get better. If it does, then there really isn't anything holding him back.

So a kid that completed 51% of his passes as a senior in HS, moves onto a P5 conference against a higher level of competition and against better far better athletes and IMPROVES his completion % doesn't make you feel better? Oh, he did that as a true freshmen with an abbreviated fall camp and with one of the worst OLs in all of college football.

Statistics matter. Context also matters.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Last year, a kick from 30 yard was risky.
With four kickers, we should be able to score from 120 yards!
#DoTheMath
calculating the hangover GIF
Figure It Out What GIF by CBC
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Consulted with the uGa math department.. This checks out.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So are we judging kids before they even start their freshman seasons? What about the rest of the true freshmen who aren't ATL?
I have no idea what’s going on, but the optics are seemingly poor. You recruit a kid that’s supposed to come in and compete, then he’s no where to be found. I didn’t expect him to knock off Sims as the opening day starter but damn he’s not even on the radar as far as getting a single garbage snap at the end of a a game where we’re scheduled to play a patsy. Our elite high profile recruits should be able to sniff out some playing time playing the maximum they can without burning what should be a redshirt year. Other team’s elite recruits manage to do just that, hell some even play meaningful minutes when games are out of reach. I’m hoping he had the sniffles and had to be held out of practice not he isn’t really what he’s hyped to be.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what’s going on, but the optics are seemingly poor. You recruit a kid that’s supposed to come in and compete, then he’s no where to be found. I didn’t expect him to knock off Sims as the opening day starter but damn he’s not even on the radar as far as getting a single garbage snap at the end of a a game where we’re scheduled to play a patsy. Our elite high profile recruits should be able to sniff out some playing time playing the maximum they can without burning what should be a redshirt year. Other team’s elite recruits manage to do just that, hell some even play meaningful minutes when games are out of reach. I’m hoping he had the sniffles and had to be held out of practice not he isn’t really what he’s hyped to be.
Who says he’s not going to get playing time? He’s most likely #4 right now and that’s perfectly fine. I wouldn’t even come close to considering him a elite high profile recruit like you think he is.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
1) He was a 3 star QB, you are acting like he was a Top 100 guy. The optics don't matter because nobody is looking at this and expecting anything except you.

2)There could be a dozen reasons he isn't on the preliminary ATL chart that aren't being a dud.

3)Being on the ATL chart or not doesn't mean you will or won't play. This has happened numerous times.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Really? Calm down.

95% of the GT fan base couldn't name a single recruit from last years class. The optics on this are zero except for the few members here.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

You're off base man. He's a true Fr QB. I'm sure he'll get his 4 games in during the season for RS purposes, but by no means was he a Justin Fields type coming in expecting to get anything on the field handed to him or having a unique skill to be used for gadget plays. I am real excited about Peery's future, and him not being ATL game 1 changes that exactly zero.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So a kid that completed 51% of his passes as a senior in HS, moves onto a P5 conference against a higher level of competition and against better far better athletes and IMPROVES his completion % doesn't make you feel better? Oh, he did that as a true freshmen with an abbreviated fall camp and with one of the worst OLs in all of college football.

Statistics matter. Context also matters.
Context does matter but just saying his accuracy numbers were caused directly by a shortened spring and a bad OL is more of a hope than anything at this point. Ken Seals, a true freshman at Vandy had the same issues to deal with (and probably more) and he completed 65% of his passes. I'm not sure why this is bothering you so much. Different players have their own strengths and weaknesses. It's ok to say there are some things Sims needs to work on.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand comments like this. To me, these expectations are extreme for a true freshman, especially when you have two guys 3 years in and a third guy a 2nd-year starter. And this is just the preliminary first above-the-line list (and we all know that players play even when they're not listed ATL).

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Context does matter but just saying his accuracy numbers were caused directly by a shortened spring and a bad OL is more of a hope than anything at this point. Ken Seals, a true freshman at Vandy had the same issues to deal with (and probably more) and he completed 65% of his passes. I'm not sure why this is bothering you so much. Different players have their own strengths and weaknesses. It's ok to say there are some things Sims needs to work on
Seals had 12TDs to 10INTs compared to Sims’ 13 & 13. Seals has also accounted for -52 (yes, that’s negative 52) rushing yards on the year, compared to Sims’ 492.

Seals completed 186 of 288 passes for 1928 yards. Sims completed 141 of 257 passes for 1881 yards. That means Seals completed 45 more passes than Sims but only gained 47 more yards through the air. When you compare that to Sims’ rushing advantage on Seals, Sims still accounted for 445 more yards than Seals last year, and 7 more touchdowns.

Completion percentage is about like batting average. Sure it paints a decent picture about how good a QB is, but it doesn’t come close to telling the full story. Completion percentage is no where close to being the end-all-be-all stat for QBs. 55% isn’t a great completion rate, but it’s far from bad. Given Sims’ dual-threat ability if he gets to 60% this year it will likely be more than enough to keep defenses honest.

Just for the record, Lamar Jackson never had a season with a 60% completion rate. And his freshman year he went 135-247 for 1840 yards (55%) with 12 TDS and 8 INTs.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t worry too much about Peery. You should have known what the game plan was when we moved Knight over in the spring: we don’t want him to lose his shirt this year unless forced.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Seals had 12TDs to 10INTs compared to Sims’ 13 & 13. Seals has also accounted for -52 (yes, that’s negative 52) rushing yards on the year, compared to Sims’ 492.

Seals completed 186 of 288 passes for 1928 yards. Sims completed 141 of 257 passes for 1881 yards. That means Seals completed 45 more passes than Sims but only gained 47 more yards through the air. When you compare that to Sims’ rushing advantage on Seals, Sims still accounted for 445 more yards than Seals last year, and 7 more touchdowns.

Completion percentage is about like batting average. Sure it paints a decent picture about how good a QB is, but it doesn’t come close to telling the full story. Completion percentage is no where close to being the end-all-be-all stat for QBs. 55% isn’t a great completion rate, but it’s far from bad. Given Sims’ dual-threat ability if he gets to 60% this year it will likely be more than enough to keep defenses honest.

Just for the record, Lamar Jackson never had a season with a 60% completion rate. And his freshman year he went 135-247 for 1840 yards (55%) with 12 TDS and 8 INTs.
I'm not trying to discount Sims other abilities or say Seals is better than him, just that having a bad OL and less prep time doesn't necessarily make a QB inaccurate by default. There is room to grow there. I would disagree about 55% not being bad. Being 94th in the country and behind Jordan Travis at FSU in accuracy isn't good. Now if we are going to use him as basically a hybrid RB/QB like Louisville did with Lamar Jackson then sure, there would be less emphasis on most passing stats in general.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Completion percentage must be given in context of range imho (ball in the air range, not yards gained.)

55% completion in the <5 yard range is really bad. 55% completion in the >20 yard range is not that bad.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Context does matter but just saying his accuracy numbers were caused directly by a shortened spring and a bad OL is more of a hope than anything at this point. Ken Seals, a true freshman at Vandy had the same issues to deal with (and probably more) and he completed 65% of his passes. I'm not sure why this is bothering you so much. Different players have their own strengths and weaknesses. It's ok to say there are some things Sims needs to work on.

It's clear you don't understand the point I'm making.

Let's review:

1. Sims completed 51% of his passes as a HS senior.
2. Sims went on to a P5 program and played against higher level athletes, playing behind a bad OL, in an abbreviated Fall Camp for preparation...and he IMPROVED his completion %. Oh, let's also add he had to learn a P5 level playbook and apply it to P5 level defenses.

The point I'm making isn't that I'm making excuses for his "poor" completion %, it's pointing out that with all of those factors working against Sims, he IMPROVED his passing on a Power 5 college football level. It's an illustration that Sims is most certainly capable of improving his play on this level because he did exactly that going from a SR in HS to a true freshmen in college.

It's not bothering me that you say Sims needs work...no one is arguing that. In fact, that's the whole point of this discussion. It bothers me because you seem to be taking away from his accomplishments and ability.