2021 G1 NIU ATL Depth Chart

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Ryan King looked pretty good at the open practice, wouldn’t be surprised to see him play a bunch Saturday. No Norris is surprising. No Keion is to be expected. Thought Leftwich would be on here too though.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Just noticed this says “projected ATL and a final ATL chart will be released on Thursday”.

Random speculation:

Coach is trying to motivate a couple of guys who will be on the list but need to sharpen up a bit.

Generally looks good and not surprising except at WR to me. However, there are plenty who can suit up and play on game day anyway. I am not surprised though that Carter, Sanders, and Harris are holding their spots from last year. We'll probably flex McGowan outside a few snaps a game, too.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know how much to take from this. In addition to what others have mentioned, I noticed no Keion White at DE. Wing Green and Weston Franklin being ATL is a good sign. Some of those weights can’t be right, so I definitely think this chart should be taken with a grain of salt.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know how much to take from this. In addition to what others have mentioned, I noticed no Keion White at DE. Wing Green and Weston Franklin being ATL is a good sign. Some of those weights can’t be right, so I definitely think this chart should be taken with a grain of salt.
White is expected. Has been trying to get back into the grove of things since he hasn’t played in a while and had a ankle injury in the spring

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
So.

What is a "4-2-5 Effort-based" defense and how does it differ from a normal 4-2-5? Do most 4-2-5's work best when you don't try hard? Seriously. What the crap does that mean?

I like CGC and think he'll be good. But that kind of stuff just baffles me.
I think it means exactly what it says... the players above the lines are the ones who work hardest in practice, the weight room, and know the playbook vs the ones who might have the highest potential or athleticism but don't necessarily put it all together day to day.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So.

What is a "4-2-5 Effort-based" defense and how does it differ from a normal 4-2-5? Do most 4-2-5's work best when you don't try hard? Seriously. What the crap does that mean?

I agree with everything you wrote. Regarding effort, I fall into Yoda's camp on this topic, "There is no try, just do or do not". Or WTTE. So let's shift from "effort based" to "results oriented" this year!!! ;)

Of course, I do get and understand who these guys are trying to reach with their relentless marketing and slogans and have no issues at all with it. I do expect to see a sharp uptick on performance across the board this fall.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Only surprises is no ezzard (was battling injury from last season), Rutherford only being 138 LBS, no miles brooks, no Akelo stone, no Boyd but he’s always dinged up. Also, players who aren’t on ATL chart also might play, happened in 2020 a lot.
Rutherford is listed at 165 on the official GT website. I would think 138 has to be a misprint.

slugboy

Staff member
So.

I haven’t seen anyone else call it “effort-based”, but at least one 4-2-5 philosophy is based on quick reads, quick commitments, and speed. If you have a choice between two reads, the best option is to make the right read and get there at 100% speed. The next best option is to make the wrong read, but get there at 100% speed. It’s not GOOD to make the wrong read, but not committing quickly leaves you in no-man’s-land where you can’t get anything done.
{not a 4-2-5 expert, but trying to pick it up as I go along}

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t seen anyone else call it “effort-based”, but at least one 4-2-5 philosophy is based on quick reads, quick commitments, and speed. If you have a choice between two reads, the best option is to make the right read and get there at 100% speed. The next best option is to make the wrong read, but get there at 100% speed. It’s not GOOD to make the wrong read, but not committing quickly leaves you in no-man’s-land where you can’t get anything done.
{not a 4-2-5 expert, but trying to pick it up as I go along}

Thanks all. I was seriously wondering if the Effort-based was a new type of defense. In comparison to the "Spread Option Pro Style" for offense, it just seemed...weird. But I think you guys nailed it. They meant that the ATL chart on defense is based on effort not...something else I guess. Hmm. I'm with @4shotB on this one...I can understand qualifying players to maybe get in the game based on effort, but I hope the ones who play most of the snaps are the ones who produce the best results!

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
The OL size sticks out to me as well as JPM being a junior As well as Juanyeh. Those guys can come back next year? That’s awesome to know. I hope that Mason balls out and heads to the NFL. Hopefully juanyeh will stick around to play with little bro.

the other thing that sticks out is how young we are. Littered with Freshman and Redshirt freshman. Barely any sophomores. The majority of seniors are the guys that transferred in. Anyone that expects us to be better than 6-6 or 7-5 please tell me why.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
the other thing that sticks out is how young we are. Littered with Freshman and Redshirt freshman. Barely any sophomores. The majority of seniors are the guys that transferred in. Anyone that expects us to be better than 6-6 or 7-5 please tell me why.
Academically, most of the freshman are sophmores and most of the redshirt freshman are juniors, so its not like these are all new guys who haven't been around at all.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
2 seniors in the front 7 ATL, good for next year.

Beatty at number 3 is good for class separation at QB.

I like the names at KR/PR. Get those guys some extra touches (McGowin, Dontae, McCollum)