2021 ACC and Competition News

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, not much to gather from this game with regard to how Miami will do this season in the ACC. I mean, there are maybe 2-3 other teams in the country that will have any shot against 'Bama. Miami is not one of them. It's going to be a LONG game for Miami...

There is one team in the ACC remotely in the neighborhood of 'Bama, and that's Clemson. Clemson and Miami do not play each other this year.
I guess...but gosh it looks like men and boys right now. Bama's DL is making the Thugs look like high-schoolers.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I guess...but gosh it looks like men and boys right now. Bama's DL is making the Thugs look like high-schoolers.

I take it back...after the showing Clemson had against UGA, Clemson would also get obliterated against Bama. I'm not even sure UGA blitzed against Clemson and they had like 7 sacks and a bunch of hurries.

Clemson looked AWFUL. If UGA had an offense, Clemson would have been blown out in the first half.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Anyone got any insight on if Milton plays tonight for FSU? Can't stand FSU but I'm pulling for him to succeed. Plus trying to figure out which team to put money on.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I take it back...after the showing Clemson had against UGA, Clemson would also get obliterated against Bama. I'm not even sure UGA blitzed against Clemson and they had like 7 sacks and a bunch of hurries.

Clemson looked AWFUL. If UGA had an offense, Clemson would have been blown out in the first half.
Clemson playcalling left a lot to be desired. It was clear they could not protect the qb. I'm not sure what was up with all the slow developing pass plays. The qb run was open all night. No routes to take advantage of the blitzing LBs.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
May be a little off topic but I have envy of Josh Huepel. Something tells me he will be running all over the SEC. The tempo kills and the way he switches plays with bubbles, option, etc is what I would have thought works best for GT.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
When I watch other teams play the one thing that stands out to me is how much faster everyone else seems to develop plays. This goes for offense and defense. Our zone reads seem like they take multiple seconds to develop and for our QB to make a decision, when other teams seem to do it on the fly. Other team’s linebackers are very quick to their assignments. Whether it’s dropping into coverage, hitting a gap, or playing spy. Our LBs seems like they get stuck in quicksand waiting for the play to happen and reacting to it. Everything we do on the field looks like it’s reactionary, and not proactive or attacking.

Along with the lack of preparedness that seems to trouble this team week in and week out for 3 years now, it seems like there’s a massive issue at practice. Players either don’t know their assignments well enough, or aren’t confident enough in their teammates to complete their own assignments that they get caught watching instead of playing.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
When I watch other teams play the one thing that stands out to me is how much faster everyone else seems to develop plays. This goes for offense and defense. Our zone reads seem like they take multiple seconds to develop and for our QB to make a decision, when other teams seem to do it on the fly. Other team’s linebackers are very quick to their assignments. Whether it’s dropping into coverage, hitting a gap, or playing spy. Our LBs seems like they get stuck in quicksand waiting for the play to happen and reacting to it. Everything we do on the field looks like it’s reactionary, and not proactive or attacking.

Along with the lack of preparedness that seems to trouble this team week in and week out for 3 years now, it seems like there’s a massive issue at practice. Players either don’t know their assignments well enough, or aren’t confident enough in their teammates to complete their own assignments that they get caught watching instead of playing.
Competition is King right ?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Did ND have a 1st down in the 4th quarter? Whatever they were doing in the 3rd they stppoed doing it. Or FSU made great adjustments.

And, did the ND defense look slow in the final Quarter? It could have been the heat, but their entire team seemed sluggish late.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'm a Texas Ex, he did not bury the program.

Poor decisions by ADs after his firing hampered the program tremendously. It was time for both parties to part ways, Mac was stale and UT needed a new spark, unfortunately Teddy Bridgewater turned pro and Charlie Strong couldn't transfer him into UT. Tom Herman was the perfect hire on paper but did not live up to the hype, hopefully Sark gets it done.

But let's be clear, Augusta_Jacket only showed the last 4 years of his tenure and those still look decent. The 6 years prior he played in two national championships and 2 additional NY6 bowls, winning one championship and winning both the Fiesta and Rose Bowl. He was a really, really good coach who regressed to just being a really good coach before UT put him out to pasture.
With comments like that you will never qualify for Surly Horns. Too nice, too few expletives--especially about Turtle Tom.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Putting this here because it's Louisville (ACC) related, and it's just a d@mn good play that deserves to be copied (you hear me CDP?!):

Different kind of "option" read for the QB. LB takes off with the RB, then QB can gets chunk yardage. LB releases, like he did in the video, then it's an easy pass. If defense is playing zone, you can REALLY hurt them with an over the top route and put the safety in conflict as well with a post or seam route from the slot after running this the first time.

X's and O's is fun.

slugboy

Staff member
Around the ACC on 9/11/2021 (typing that date is going to feel strange forever)

Duke 45- NCAT 17 from Friday

GT 45 - KSU 17
UVA 42 - ILL 14
Pitt 41 - Tenn 34 ($EC just means more)
Wake 41 - Norfolk State 16

In progress ~ 8 PM:
Clemson 49 - SC State 3
Miami 9 - App State 7 👀
NCST 0 - Miss St 7
Louisville 7 - E Kentucky 0
UNC 7 - Ga State 0

slugboy

Staff member
App State grad wife tells the U to be ready for a whupping.
Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by NBA

App State 14 - Miami 12. Hmmmmm

Jacksonville State looks pretty good against FSU. Their QB looks the part!!

Surprised Cat GIF

Jax State 7 - FSU Zippo. Also Hmmm.

slugboy

Staff member
Syracuse lost by 10 to Rutgers. Babers punted on a 4th down to boos from the crowd.
BC won. VT won (and are looking like a good team.
UNC is winning pretty convincingly.
App State is trailing Miami 17-19.
FSU and Jax State are tied at 7.

Miami and FSU are getting a lot more competition than they expected when they booked these games