2021 ACC and Competition News

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC lost a lot at the skill positions. The replacements don't look ready for prime time. VT was getting pressure on Howell as well.
I missed the first half but this was not my observation at all, WR #0 was pretty good and WR Josh Downs #11 was killing it (except for blocking, he was real bad on that). Meanwhile, Howell was getting some serious pressure like you noted, but he just wasn't getting it done.

I definitely feel better about Mayhem and Mercedes Benz though.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
UNC lost a lot at the skill positions. The replacements don't look ready for prime time. VT was getting pressure on Howell as well.
I was just telling a coworker today, with coastal chaos still a thing, either Miami or UNC would be 6/7 win team, not top 15. It was a matter of which would collapse. Money was on Miami because they are overrated every year. Not ready to call it UNC after one game but needle is pointing that way.

Either way, everyone saying we had “5 loses” before the season started, were clearly wrong. We have 9 winnable with 3 big upsets on the schedule. Do I think we win all 9, no, but we should fairly close in all 9. And the upset games, I bet it’s a game at least through halftime in all three.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
How can UNC be THAT over-rated year after year after year? Reminds me of another big "State Name" school.

VT's defense is either "elite" or UNC's line is extremely bad. Howell didn't have time to clench his sphincter before he was being hit. And that did not look like a Heisman candidate, even given the ridiculous pressure. But the announcers just couldn't change the narrative. I almost made it a drinking game, but realized I needed to keep my liver in game-day shape for tonight.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, UNC is clearly not #10, but Mack Brown is a good coach and some of the problems VT revealed will be fixed. Also, VT is certainly better than I thought. The Coastal should be very interesting again this year.