2021 ACC and Competition News

slugboy

Staff member
Don’t forget the Deacs. Nice team they got this year.
One of Wake’s RBs transferred to Mich State and ran all over Northwestern yesterday.

What happened to the experienced UNC OL? Is the VT DL really that good?

The sacks and hurries have to worry the UNC staff because that OL was supposedly the strength of the team.

My guess, after one game, it that VT’s D line is as good as advertised, and UNC’s O line either is worse or read too many of their own press clippings and didn’t take the game seriously. UNC’s O line is surely above average for the conference and for the Coastal. Who has the best D line in the Coastal is still an open question (Miami has all the high recruiting rankings), but VT definitely put their name out there yesterday.

They have a big ol’ DT who was making havoc, if I remember yesterday well.

Last edited:

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
VT definitely looked a lot tougher than i thought they'd be, especially on defense. They had a nice scripted first drive to get a TD and from then on only scored 10 even with getting 3 INTs. I imagine they'll have lots of low scoring games

UNC looks very beatable. We should stick Tre on Downs to cover him up and if our D line can harass Howell I like our chances

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
What I noticed right off the bat was VT’s strategy to shorten the game. There could have been only a few plays with more than 5 seconds left on the play clock prior to the snap. I hope our coaches will adapt when we play a high powered offense. IOW, let’s not play hurry up against Clemson.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
What I noticed right off the bat was VT’s strategy to shorten the game. There could have been only a few plays with more than 5 seconds left on the play clock prior to the snap. I hope our coaches will adapt when we play a high powered offense. IOW, let’s not play hurry up against Clemson.

I couldn't agree more. And when we play the teams who think they are the bee's knees, slow the game down. I used to play a bit of pretty competitive tennis, and the one thing you did is make sure that you control the pace of the game. It can really get into the opponent's head.

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
His lifetime record is 259-133-1 for .659 which is better than 90% of his peers. You can debate whether he's a great coach, I think he might well be, but there's no question he's a good coach.

Wish he didn't have that one tie though. That should have been another loss...
He sure **** the bed at TX in his last years there, sure he was a good coach 20-30 years ago, now he’s an old man WAY past his prime

Last edited by a moderator:

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
sure he was a good coach 20-30 years ago
He was in the national championship game 11 years ago.

Yeah he may be past his prime but i don't think you can deny he improved significantly on what Fedora left him. Not necessarily his fault the media pumped this unc team up to no. 10 preseason

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He sure **** the bed at TX in his last years there, sure he was a good coach 20-30 years ago, now he’s an old man WAY past his prime

5-7, 8-5, 9-4, and 8-5 is $***ing the bed over his last 4 years at UT? Sure, they underperformed considering their talent, but I'm not sure they earned that particular pejorative...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
VT won the trenches on both sides. Game 1 anomaly or statement? Dunno. I do expect UNC to improve.
I didn't see the first half but that wasn't true in the fourth quarter. UNC was the more talented team. The game came down to 3 INTs by Howell. If I were a future opponent I would not count on that. That stat was a Game 1 anomaly.

I wish we were playing UNC at Grant Field. I am glad we have VT there.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
When your prime is winning a national championship against what was billed as the team of the century, you can still be dang good. I thought Mac to UNC was a terrible hire, but objectively speaking, I was wrong.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
When your prime is winning a national championship against what was billed as the team of the century, you can still be dang good. I thought Mac to UNC was a terrible hire, but objectively speaking, I was wrong.
Thats still up in the air, he hasn’t done squat yet at UNC, and he buried the TX program after that natty.

slugboy

Staff member
Thats still up in the air, he hasn’t done squat yet at UNC, and he buried the TX program after that natty.
He has one of Texas’ 4 national titles, and the only one since 1970. They went back again 4 years later and lost. He coached there 16 seasons, with most of it ranked in the top 10. His last few years he had a losing season, but was usually ranked. He also faced some of the best Oklahoma teams ever.
nobody since him has come close to the standard he set. Texas also wasn’t nearly as good before they hired him.
I wouldn’t have picked this hill to die on.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He has one of Texas’ 4 national titles, and the only one since 1970. They went back again 4 years later and lost. He coached there 16 seasons, with most of it ranked in the top 10. His last few years he had a losing season, but was usually ranked. He also faced some of the best Oklahoma teams ever.
nobody since him has come close to the standard he set. Texas also wasn’t nearly as good before they hired him.
I wouldn’t have picked this hill to die on.
Fine, i still don’t like him as a coach or UNC, and i don’t think he’s a great coach anymore. Overrated old man, needs to go home or get a job on College Gameday

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm a Texas Ex, he did not bury the program.

Poor decisions by ADs after his firing hampered the program tremendously. It was time for both parties to part ways, Mac was stale and UT needed a new spark, unfortunately Teddy Bridgewater turned pro and Charlie Strong couldn't transfer him into UT. Tom Herman was the perfect hire on paper but did not live up to the hype, hopefully Sark gets it done.

But let's be clear, Augusta_Jacket only showed the last 4 years of his tenure and those still look decent. The 6 years prior he played in two national championships and 2 additional NY6 bowls, winning one championship and winning both the Fiesta and Rose Bowl. He was a really, really good coach who regressed to just being a really good coach before UT put him out to pasture.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Coastal is going to be interesting. Miami just got off to an awful start.

Unfortunately, not much to gather from this game with regard to how Miami will do this season in the ACC. I mean, there are maybe 2-3 other teams in the country that will have any shot against 'Bama. Miami is not one of them. It's going to be a LONG game for Miami...

There is one team in the ACC remotely in the neighborhood of 'Bama, and that's Clemson. Clemson and Miami do not play each other this year.