2021 ACC and Competition News

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
UVA winning was the best outcome for us. We already have a game up on them and Miami now has an ACC loss. If we can pull out the win tomorrow, some folks may consider us in the driver's seat of the coastal depending on how VA Tech looks.
After lasts nights game ESPN had a graphic with the percent chance to win the Coastal. We were currently 3rd with a 17% chance, VT was 2nd @18%, and Pitt was first having yet to play a conference game at like 36%.

I would say if we win tomorrow we would be the odds on favorite to win the division based on ESPN's calculations as VT doesn't play and we would have 2 conference wins.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
UVA winning was the best outcome for us. We already have a game up on them and Miami now has an ACC loss. If we can pull out the win tomorrow, some folks may consider us in the driver's seat of the coastal depending on how VA Tech looks.
Man, I really hope VPI loses against BYE this weekend...too bad it wouldn't be a conference loss, though.

slugboy

Staff member
Man, I really hope VPI loses against BYE this weekend...too bad it wouldn't be a conference loss, though.
I think VT’s defense will hold bye scoreless, but their offense won’t put up many points either

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding the UVA v MIA game, I saw what i saw when they played UNC. UVA Defense cant play 2 halves yet. And neither Offense looked good

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are no such things as experts in sports. It’s just opinion. That’s why I’m a huge advocate for expanded playoffs. Playing games is the only thing that is fair and as long as polls are used to determine anything then fairness doesn’t exist.
I don't want an expanded playoff until it's limited to 2 teams (max) from each conference. If you're not at least playing for the conference championship, you really have no business with a chance at the National Championship.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don't want an expanded playoff until it's limited to 2 teams (max) from each conference. If you're not at least playing for the conference championship, you really have no business with a chance at the National Championship.
I agree with this sentiment, but what makes college football the only exemption in major North American sports where you don’t deserve to win the championship if you don’t win your conference/division/region/league in the regular season?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
How many teams have a realistic shot at going undefeated? My best guess would be one from the SEC and one from the BIG. I could easily see multiple conference champions with one or more losses.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It's football. A single game is usually sufficient to determine superiority.
Last year’s New Orleans Saints team would disagree with you there. They beat the Bucs twice in the regular season by a combined score of 72-26 and won the division. In the playoffs the Bucs beat them and won the Super Bowl soundly, and yet nobody doubts them as a legit champion. It’s just weird to me that college football is the only North American sport where there’s such a debate about non conference champions being eligible for the national championship.

The Braves will likely have the lowest regular season win total in the MLB but will have a much easier path to the World Series than the 4 Wild Card teams who will have more wins than them. One of those Wild Card teams will have at least 14 more wins than the Braves. Because of the disparity of talent in college football it’s much easier to discern teams based on the eye test than most other sports. Since the playoff started it’s been very easy to spot who the 4 best teams in the country are every year. Very rarely have there been any instances of it feeling like teams got cheated. 2014 when Baylor and TCU got left out has really been the only legitimately controversial playoff decision

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree with this sentiment, but what makes college football the only exemption in major North American sports where you don’t deserve to win the championship if you don’t win your conference/division/region/league in the regular season?

It's not. Basketball, football and other sports have much larger playoff fields that are far more inclusive regardless of whether you win a conference/division/region/league in the regular season.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What is unique about FBS football is that there is no objective way to enter the championship field. The field is 100% decided by a committee of people with biases. Before people start saying that the basketball tournament field is determined by a committee, they only decide which teams failed to qualify can get into the field. They have no say in who the automatic qualifiers are. If FBS football it is entirely possible for a team to win every single game, win their conference and not be allowed into the championship field.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
It’s just weird to me that college football is the only North American sport where there’s such a debate about non conference champions being eligible for the national championship.
You are missing the point. People here are arguing—specifically in regard to expanding the college playoff to 8 or 12 teams—that the #3 team in the SEC should not make it in before one of the other P5(4) champions makes it in. The point is not that non-conference-champions get in, it’s that other conference champions are being left out in favor of a 2nd-place team (soon to be 3rd place, if the $EC gets their way) in the “superior” conference.

Would it be reasonable to you if the AFC East champion was left out of the NFL playoffs entirely, just because the “consensus” was that the #3 NFC West team was “better”?