2020 Player thoughts and impressions

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It’s not hyperbole. Rivals hasnt re-rated him yet. He’ll be a Top 10 RB composite after they do.

Thread was about 2020 players and Gibbs might be one of those. You’re the one calling Griffin (92 yards, 3.0 ypc) a beast solely off his HS film/rating. Because we’ve hardly seen him this year.

All I’m trying to say is our RB depth chart should be very crowded assuming Gibbs signs. Great problem to have. I’d bet on Gibbs getting the lion share by 2021. Which is saying something given how hard Mason has run this year.

Probably the 2nd best position group entering 2020 behind DBs which will be absurdly ahead of every other group on the team.
I like Gibbs film as much as the next guy, but remember who he's playing against. If he was putting numbers like this at, say, Parkview, then I'd agree that he's a really special talent. But, as is, I doubt he'll move into 5 star territory, even when re-rated.

Not that that matters too much. He's got real talent and, if he comes to Tech, he'll contend at RB quickly. Mason will start and probably excel, then the crowd scene at RB will sort itself out. With any kind of luck, we'll be able to shirt Gibbs - I think he'll need that - and get some real work out of him come 2021.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Mason is only solid? Sheesh I’d like to see a RB that impresses you.

Considering the line he’s running behind, I think he may be one of the best backs in the whole damn country and I don’t think I’m being that biased. Kirby praised the hell out of him and not just in the usual “praise your opponent opening statement” kind of way. Jordan is a stud.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Considering the line he’s running behind, I think he may be one of the best backs in the whole damn country and I don’t think I’m being that biased. Kirby praised the hell out of him and not just in the usual “praise your opponent opening statement” kind of way. Jordan is a stud.
Imagine if he had even a halfway decent line in front of him. His YAC numbers are insane. He single handedly held on the the NC St. game. He was getting hit at or behind the LOS and was breaking off runs for 4+ the entire last drive.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I will save my thoughts till after COFH since a win could drastically change my mind, but so far I think CGC looks more like Bill Lewis than George Oleary and I am concerned that the program might be set back years after all this hype and no substance....But Hey a win at home against the Mutts and he is looking like the next Bobby Dodd!! #THWG

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Y'all have got to realize that we are playing a LOT of young guys! If you don't realize this I have news for you! We only have 8 SENIORS ON THE whole team!!! We started out with only 11. # got hurt and 3 others do not get much playing time! Now think what that means for the future. It may take 2 years, but I think there is a chance next year. Now I mean a bowl game not a final 4 !

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I will save my thoughts till after COFH since a win could drastically change my mind, but so far I think CGC looks more like Bill Lewis than George Oleary and I am concerned that the program might be set back years after all this hype and no substance....But Hey a win at home against the Mutts and he is looking like the next Bobby Dodd!! #THWG
You do understand that no time in history has an unranked Tech team beat a uga team ranked in the top 25 .

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You do understand that no time in history has an unranked Tech team beat a uga team ranked in the top 25 .
The guy has no understanding for what’s actually on the field at Tech right now. Anybody ready to throw in the towel after this year is insane. Youngest team in P5, starting 4 walk-ons on the lines, freshmen everywhere. Pair that with the best recruiting class GT has seen in over a decade. The potential for a very bright future is there, should see sparks of it next year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
...i mean yeah. That’s the nature of recruiting. You see them play against HS. :LOL:

Gibbs’s tape reminds me of Tuitt’s film before he blew up. Where one of the first few plays was him chasing down a RB from behind at 270 lbs and you think “this guy is one of the best in the country” and then he ended up a 5*. Assuming he signs Gibbs is gonna end up being the highest rated RB recruit we’ve gotten since they started publicly rating them. The only film that comes close to comparing since I started following Tech in ‘05 is Dwyer’s. Different running styles but the same “wow, this guy is on another level.”
The only player I recall seeing in my own amateur way who can cut and change direction instantly at top speed is the McCaffrey kid at Charlotte. I know there are plenty of others but those two just make magic cutting into a gap nobody else sees. McCaffrey not winning the Heisman at Stanford was criminal.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
For me it's going to be interesting to see which RBs fair well in our new offense with new type OLs. I think it could make a difference, I'm guessing we're recruiting with some ideas in mind as to what we want to do.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
For me it's going to be interesting to see which RBs fair well in our new offense with new type OLs. I think it could make a difference, I'm guessing we're recruiting with some ideas in mind as to what we want to do.
Well, I should hope so.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The guy has no understanding for what’s actually on the field at Tech right now. Anybody ready to throw in the towel after this year is insane. Youngest team in P5, starting 4 walk-ons on the lines, freshmen everywhere. Pair that with the best recruiting class GT has seen in over a decade. The potential for a very bright future is there, should see sparks of it next year.
Hope you're right, but a big part of me wonders where the Koolaid barrel is.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Mason is only solid? Sheesh I’d like to see a RB that impresses you.

“Solid” isn’t a negative. He’s a very good ACC back. He isn’t a first team all ACC guy and I don’t see him as an NFL guy. It’s my objective viewpoint. Dragging NC State defenders doesn’t vault him into being a first round pick. Some of you guys are rediculous.