2020 Player thoughts and impressions

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
So we soon will be wrapping up the 1st Season under the new regime and we've got to see alot of players through the year develop. I was curious to see other's thoughts on who impressed them this year and who you believe will continue to develop into quality starters/ACC players. I've got my thoughts below which I've seen several promising young players on Defense and Offense that I will major cogs to just how well this team does next year.

Defensive
Charlies Thomas OLB - Would love to see him bulk up just a little bit more to the 220 range for his role at LB he has been all over the field and he has All-ACC talent.
Ja'Quon Griffin SDE/DT - He's definitely came on as the year has progressed I've seen him get in the backfield more and more as Season's went on and he seems like a regular going forward 4-5 Sacks from him next year doesn't seem unreasonable.
Jordan Domineck WDE/OLB - Similar to Thomas would love Jordan to put on 10-15 more pounds of muscle in off-season if he can do do that he got the speed and quickness to get after some QBs on blitz packages.
Chico Bennett Jr. DE- Before the injury he was another guy that was making plays and seemed pretty strong at point of attack for his size.
J.Lee DT - I would love to see him come back healthy at about 310-315 to help the middle of this line in run packages he need all the size we can get and he's one of the few we can possible count on next year.
Tre Swilling - He's been pretty darn good this year he's plays dangerously at times and gets burnt and he's been victim at times of just ridiculous catches when he had A+ position but wouldn't be shocked if after a ever improving junior year he could be weighing Draft prospects.
*Basically most of young secondary they all have played well J.Thomas/Walton particular have continued to improve as year has went on and everyone should be happy with our starters going into next year and immediate depth

Offense
Jordan Mason - Got to start here as that guy is a bell cow running back he should easily be a 1000+ yard rusher if we continue to get better at extending drives and continued improved o-line play next few years.
Jamious Griffin - A true freshman playing well for limited amount of time seen due to poor offense not many chances. He is more of a change of pace running back compared to Mason but has ability to take it to the house if can get more clean lanes moving forward.
Zach Quinney - Pushed into starting probably a year earlier then development wise would've been ideal because he's been playing catch-up filling in that 6'6" frame would expect him to reach 305-310 by next year and with the year of experience he seems to be actually a solid Tackle.
Mikey Minihan - Probably someone you could expect to tip over the 300 mark next year and be a serviceable starter next year at guard.
William Lay III - For a walk-on who struggled badly early when pressed in starting after Coopers injury he's came along... now I really pray we get a exception for Cooper and a full year of him at Center but Lay PT at least helps in the depth area.
Carter,Brown, Sanders WRs: It will be pretty sweet to have basically your primary 3 WRs coming back all have had great moments this year Brown particularly is a guy who could develop into a Draft Pick level talent at WR, plus Ezzard and a nice group of recruits coming in
James Graham QB: I don't know if he's done enough this year to be the absolute starter next year. He will still have to earn it he's shown he has it in him to work hard and overcome challenges. He has all the ability in the world and actually deep passes he's probably top 20% in NCAA on strength and accuracy. We all have seen his lackluster short-intermediate passing which is all foot work and comfort and that's the main thing holding him back at moment from taking off....well that and a O-line that he can trust more then 33% of the time.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Ma5; I put in a thread a couple of weeks ago how much of a good change in lower class players that i have observed in the couple weeks before that post. And it just gets better! The only thing I did not name the players who I think can become all acc or better. I gave out the # of guys in each class. In the fr cl. there were 9, so cl 11, jr cl 7. Then there were 11 that I think could be good but not all acc or better. We are playing over the course of the year about 50 under classmen. We only had around 11 srs. on the whole squard. Now just 8 able to play. The way CGC has used the numbers of fr and so makes this seem like a practice season which will give us a huge boost in the next yr or 2. We will have a wonderful fun time of it within the next yr or 2!!

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So we soon will be wrapping up the 1st Season under the new regime and we've got to see alot of players through the year develop. I was curious to see other's thoughts on who impressed them this year and who you believe will continue to develop into quality starters/ACC players. I've got my thoughts below which I've seen several promising young players on Defense and Offense that I will major cogs to just how well this team does next year.

Defensive
Charlies Thomas OLB - Would love to see him bulk up just a little bit more to the 220 range for his role at LB he has been all over the field and he has All-ACC talent.
Ja'Quon Griffin SDE/DT - He's definitely came on as the year has progressed I've seen him get in the backfield more and more as Season's went on and he seems like a regular going forward 4-5 Sacks from him next year doesn't seem unreasonable.
Jordan Domineck WDE/OLB - Similar to Thomas would love Jordan to put on 10-15 more pounds of muscle in off-season if he can do do that he got the speed and quickness to get after some QBs on blitz packages.
Chico Bennett Jr. DE- Before the injury he was another guy that was making plays and seemed pretty strong at point of attack for his size.
J.Lee DT - I would love to see him come back healthy at about 310-315 to help the middle of this line in run packages he need all the size we can get and he's one of the few we can possible count on next year.
Tre Swilling - He's been pretty darn good this year he's plays dangerously at times and gets burnt and he's been victim at times of just ridiculous catches when he had A+ position but wouldn't be shocked if after a ever improving junior year he could be weighing Draft prospects.
*Basically most of young secondary they all have played well J.Thomas/Walton particular have continued to improve as year has went on and everyone should be happy with our starters going into next year and immediate depth

Offense
Jordan Mason - Got to start here as that guy is a bell cow running back he should easily be a 1000+ yard rusher if we continue to get better at extending drives and continued improved o-line play next few years.
Jamious Griffin - A true freshman playing well for limited amount of time seen due to poor offense not many chances. He is more of a change of pace running back compared to Mason but has ability to take it to the house if can get more clean lanes moving forward.
Zach Quinney - Pushed into starting probably a year earlier then development wise would've been ideal because he's been playing catch-up filling in that 6'6" frame would expect him to reach 305-310 by next year and with the year of experience he seems to be actually a solid Tackle.
Mikey Minihan - Probably someone you could expect to tip over the 300 mark next year and be a serviceable starter next year at guard.
William Lay III - For a walk-on who struggled badly early when pressed in starting after Coopers injury he's came along... now I really pray we get a exception for Cooper and a full year of him at Center but Lay PT at least helps in the depth area.
Carter,Brown, Sanders WRs: It will be pretty sweet to have basically your primary 3 WRs coming back all have had great moments this year Brown particularly is a guy who could develop into a Draft Pick level talent at WR, plus Ezzard and a nice group of recruits coming in
James Graham QB: I don't know if he's done enough this year to be the absolute starter next year. He will still have to earn it he's shown he has it in him to work hard and overcome challenges. He has all the ability in the world and actually deep passes he's probably top 20% in NCAA on strength and accuracy. We all have seen his lackluster short-intermediate passing which is all foot work and comfort and that's the main thing holding him back at moment from taking off....well that and a O-line that he can trust more then 33% of the time.
Also Jalen Camp on the WR’s - should be a solid group

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

Defensive

Offense
I also give you MUCH praise for this post!!!!

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Awfully glowing reviews for our worst team in 25 years. Reality is that we have a long way to go at nearly every position. Outside of 3 and 10 nobody has really played at a high level. A few other guys have been solid but I wouldn’t consider great, 2, 6 and 27. Just my honest assessment.

Roster and ATL chart will look entirely different next year.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Awfully glowing reviews for our worst team in 25 years. Reality is that we have a long way to go at nearly every position. Outside of 3 and 10 nobody has really played at a high level. A few other guys have been solid but I wouldn’t consider great, 2, 6 and 27. Just my honest assessment.

Are you noticing the #'s on the back of the jerseys after nearly every play? There are a lot of them that could become all acc or better! But you need to look at every play on a dvr replay!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I see evidence of coaching up quite a lot of guys. You can see Key's influence on the OL, Choice's influence at RB, Dixon at WR, to name a few. The players are LEARNING and APPLYING good coaching, because I think they believe in CGC and his staff. They exhibit a positive vibe. Like I said several times in years past , the team eventually reflects the personality of the HC and staff. I have seen more proof of that in 11 games this year than I saw in the last 4 years or so.
IMO, next year they will get about 3 more wins and possibly go to an obscure bowl. But in 2021 we should challenge for the division.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I see evidence of coaching up quite a lot of guys. You can see Key's influence on the OL, Choice's influence at RB, Dixon at WR, to name a few. The players are LEARNING and APPLYING good coaching, because I think they believe in CGC and his staff. They exhibit a positive vibe. Like I said several times in years past , the team eventually reflects the personality of the HC and staff. I have seen more proof of that in 11 games this year than I saw in the last 4 years or so.
IMO, next year they will get about 3 more wins and possibly go to an obscure bowl. But in 2021 we should challenge for the division.
Love this reply!!!

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Just my opinion. Take it or leave it. We play hard. We’ve improved. But we are very small, and lack mediocre ACC caliber talent in a least a dozen positions (4 DL, 3 OL, TE, 2 WR, QB, K)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I have been beating the drum about talent deficiencies, too. But you have to recognize the potential in some of these guys. A bunch of players will move on, but the others will have to be bridge guys until the Collins recruits are fully in.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Hope someone steps up at LB. Curry is the most average decent LB you could think of and he does the job but we haven’t had a playmaker at the Position since 2014.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
May be observation bias, but I noticed the blitz packages seemed to simplify as the year went on. I'm wondering how much of that was injuries limiting what we could effectively implement.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If Gibbs signs we’re about to get awful crowded in the backfield. Think he might take over by 2021. He’s a stud who’s just perfect for a spread.
Remember you are only see him on high school tapes. You have seen Mason and Griffin going against teams we play. Hard to judge on high school tapes.