2020 Offseason Thread

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is one of the place I have been excited to see changes. CGC talks a lot about how they review from the HC to the trainers and GAs every assignment by week for every player. It sounds like they are focused on making sure things don't slip through the cracks. That level of detail translates across your life (Sports included) and will benefit the players greatly both on the field and in their post GT life.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is one of the place I have been excited to see changes. CGC talks a lot about how they review from the HC to the trainers and GAs every assignment by week for every player. It sounds like they are focused on making sure things don't slip through the cracks. That level of detail translates across your life (Sports included) and will benefit the players greatly both on the field and in their post GT life.

You can't tout "40 year decision", "athletic/total person developmental program", and "family over everything" if you let the reason why kids have the opportunity to play: a good college education.

We're not giving those things lip service, and it gives our staff tangible results when they're sitting in living rooms selling GT. Seriously, our guys are making Dean's list at GT...that's not something small or easy to do regardless if they get some of the best tutoring. Hopefully, it also helps with those SAs we recruit that are hesitant given our GT's academic reputation. Academic success is not impossible...just look at the long list of SAs proving it!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This is a great sign that these guys are buying in to the "effort" culture on and off the field. Our coaches are motivators.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
69. Good number.
13xurd.jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Mason with some props. Spotlighted for being a hidden gem:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-who-are-college-footballs-hidden-offensive-gems

JORDAN MASON, RB – GEORGIA TECH

Up against many obstacles, Jordan Mason proved himself as a legit running back during a rebuild at Tech in 2019 under Geoff Collins. Mason was the lone bright spot on the offense. His overall offensive grade of 86.1 was 20 (!) points higher than the next-highest Tech player who played at least 20 snaps.

Mason led the country in missed tackles forced per attempt with 0.44 and was eighth in yards after contact per attempt with 4.4. Most of those missed tackles were forced before the line of scrimmage, as Mason played behind one of the worst offensive lines in the entire country. Not one offensive linemen — whether he played one snap or 700 — graded above 60.9. There’s bad and there’s abysmal. This was abysmal. Mason’s 5.2 rushing yards per attempt is a modern miracle. Hopefully, Tech can shore up its front lines and Mason can showcase himself more than in 2019.

BTW, if you want a neutral view of how our OL did last season, there you have it. Mason is going to LOVE running behind the new line CGC and Key put together in the offseason. Wouldn't surprise me if he's All ACC next season.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-who-are-college-footballs-hidden-offensive-gems

Up against many obstacles, Jordan Mason proved himself as a legit running back during a rebuild at Tech in 2019 under Geoff Collins. Mason was the lone bright spot on the offense. His overall offensive grade of 86.1 was 20 (!) points higher than the next-highest Tech player who played at least 20 snaps.

Mason led the country in missed tackles forced per attempt with 0.44 and was eighth in yards after contact per attempt with 4.4. Most of those missed tackles were forced before the line of scrimmage, as Mason played behind one of the worst offensive lines in the entire country. Not one offensive linemen — whether he played one snap or 700 — graded above 60.9. There’s bad and there’s abysmal. This was abysmal. Mason’s 5.2 rushing yards per attempt is a modern miracle. Hopefully, Tech can shore up its front lines and Mason can showcase himself more than in 2019.

BTW, if you want a neutral view of how our OL did last season, there you have it. Mason is going to LOVE running behind the new line CGC and Key put together in the offseason. Wouldn't surprise me if he's All ACC next season.
Mason single-handedly saved the NC State win. The entire 4th quarter he was getting blown up at the line, and continued to grind out 3, 4, 5 yard rushes at a time. If the OLine plays to even average D1 capabilities, not even average in the P5, Mason will be on some award watch lists. I really hope Tech can stay relatively healthy on the line this year, and fully utilizes the depth and skill in the backfield. If they can do that, it will take a ton of pressure off of whoever wins the QB role. Hell, everyone saw what happens when you have an average QB and one of the best backfields in the country *cough* Jake Fromm and uGA in 2017 *cough*.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I remember saying during the Pitt game that I would not trade him for any back in the country. He doesn't have great speed, but his balance and ability to cut in the hole (such as it was) is as good as any I've seen. He is just hard to bring down.