2020 Offseason Thread

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Here are some highlights of the 1946 Georgia Tech-Navy game at Grant Field

Thanks for posting that film, I was 11 years old sitting in the north stands when right in front of me Matthews intercepted that fumble in the air and ran it back for a TD. Have often thought of that game and play since it was one of the first GTFB games I attended. First time I've seen the film since that era. GT and Navy had some outstanding games during that period. Think maybe Frank Broyles was the QB, not sure, do you know?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting that film, I was 11 years old sitting in the north stands when right in front of me Matthews intercepted that fumble in the air and ran it back for a TD. Have often thought of that game and play since it was one of the first GTFB games I attended. First time I've seen the film since that era. GT and Navy had some outstanding games during that period. Think maybe Frank Broyles was the QB, not sure, do you know?
I think Frank Broyles may have been injured and didn't play that day at QB. Really cool story,Stinger 1957!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I think Frank Broyles may have been injured and didn't play that day at QB. Really cool story,Stinger 1957!

My Dad played for Heisman so I was raised totally indoctrinated in GT, no chance I was ever going to bleed anything but gold, although I became a Razorback fan when Broyles was coach there and I lived in LR for some years. Frank used to come to my CC and play golf and i would have some visits with him.
One day I was at the club when Jack Stephens came by and said come on Ed ride a few holes with me, I have Darrel Royal and Frank playing golf with me, so i did and that was a fun experience. Frank and Royal were good friends and competitors.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
My Dad played for Heisman so I was raised totally indoctrinated in GT, no chance I was ever going to bleed anything but gold, although I became a Razorback fan when Broyles was coach there and I lived in LR for some years. Frank used to come to my CC and play golf and i would have some visits with him.
One day I was at the club when Jack Stephens came by and said come on Ed ride a few holes with me, I have Darrel Royal and Frank playing golf with me, so i did and that was a fun experience. Frank and Royal were good friends and competitors.
Coach Broyles was a great man and it's too bad he never coached at Georgia Tech(y) Your father must have had some great stories about Coach Heisman:D

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Good post.

Few of about that game -

Rice came to town assuming they would, as visitor, wear white shirts. When they found out we wear white at home they had to borrow our Blue shirts. If you look closely at the film you can sed the difference between our navy blue and their somewhat purple/blue color.

Announcer mispronounced names of Stan "the man" Gann as Cann and Mike "the bama mauler" McNames as "mac-na-mey".

And GT wearing G/W/White pants.

Good replay. Thx

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Coach Broyles was a great man and it's too bad he never coached at Georgia Tech(y) Your father must have had some great stories about Coach Heisman:D

He did, he would quote the ' die rather than lose the ball" that we see from time to time, and he called the ball itself a name, I can't at the moment recall, other than ball or FB. There were others I just can't remember, I need to get that stuff out and go through it again, might be something to share when we have another dead period. There were stories about players during that era. It's tough now, but boy was it tough back then. Of course they were not nearly as big or as fast as they are today. I was in school in the early and mid fifties and we were not near as big and as fast as they are today. But back then they had a piece of thick leather as a helmet, no webbing padding in helmet, the pads not near the protection they were many years later.
I have a picture of one of my Dad's GTFB teams ('12,'13,'14,'15) with him on the front row and John Heisman along with coach Alec on back row.
Dean George Griffin was a freshman when my Dad was an upper class man and in later years I was around them when they would 'jaw and tease" each other about those years, a lot of fun. Dean Griffin was a great friend to the student in all his years at Tech.
Thanks for letting me share, made me a little emotional, good emotion.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
He did, he would quote the ' die rather than lose the ball" that we see from time to time, and he called the ball itself a name, I can't at the moment recall, other than ball or FB. There were others I just can't remember, I need to get that stuff out and go through it again, might be something to share when we have another dead period. There were stories about players during that era. It's tough now, but boy was it tough back then. Of course they were not nearly as big or as fast as they are today. I was in school in the early and mid fifties and we were not near as big and as fast as they are today. But back then they had a piece of thick leather as a helmet, no webbing padding in helmet, the pads not near the protection they were many years later.
I have a picture of one of my Dad's GTFB teams ('12,'13,'14,'15) with him on the front row and John Heisman along with coach Alec on back row.
Dean George Griffin was a freshman when my Dad was an upper class man and in later years I was around them when they would 'jaw and tease" each other about those years, a lot of fun. Dean Griffin was a great friend to the student in all his years at Tech.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Coach Heisman called the football a prolate spheroid:cool: Wow your father played against Georgia running back Bob McWhorter:wideyed: