2020 Offseason Thread

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It could have been mentioned in another thread, but what is the 404 to 305 blitz our coaches have been tweeting about?

It is similar to the 404 takeover they do from time to time here in Atlanta. Basically, they pick a fertile recruiting territory and just travel there as a group and look at/visit a whole bunch of kids. This time, they are trying to strengthen the pipeline down there in Miami-Dade. Publicizing it on twitter creates some buzz.

The NCAA instituted a new dead period after the February signing day this year, so there will be a lot of activity leading up to that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It is similar to the 404 takeover they do from time to time here in Atlanta. Basically, they pick a fertile recruiting territory and just travel there as a group and look at/visit a whole bunch of kids. This time, they are trying to strengthen the pipeline down there in Miami-Dade. Publicizing it on twitter creates some buzz.

The NCAA instituted a new dead period after the February signing day this year, so there will be a lot of activity leading up to that.
Dodd used to get a few good athletes from Florida every year; he'd target them specially for attention. This usually didn't work - he wanted Emmitt Smith in the worst way - but sometimes it did and it paid off. If Tech has the money and the time, going down there makes sense. But I wouldn't take any heavy bets on this working even sometimes; too much competition for the athletes. If we get a Joe Auer once in awhile, however, it would sure help.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Dodd used to get a few good athletes from Florida every year; he'd target them specially for attention. This usually didn't work - he wanted Emmitt Smith in the worst way - but sometimes it did and it paid off. If Tech has the money and the time, going down there makes sense. But I wouldn't take any heavy bets on it playing off. If we get a Joe Auer once in awhile, however, it would sure help.
Did you mean Larry Smith who played running back and quarterback for Florida from 1966-1968?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Dodd used to get a few good athletes from Florida every year; he'd target them specially for attention. This usually didn't work - he wanted Emmitt Smith in the worst way - but sometimes it did and it paid off. If Tech has the money and the time, going down there makes sense. But I wouldn't take any heavy bets on this working even sometimes; too much competition for the athletes. If we get a Joe Auer once in awhile, however, it would sure help.

We have been doing really well in Florida for awhile, even under the old staff. Just this year, we got Brooks, Gleason, Wright, Gowdy (RIP) and Boyd, probably some I am forgetting.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What do you mean you don’t see it working? Tech signed 4 of the top 75 recruits in Florida this year (Bryce Gowdy is included in that group). Here’s how many Florida recruits some other notable programs have out of the top 75:
  • Florida: 15
  • Florida State: 10
  • Miami: 10
  • Georgia: 5
  • Clemson: 5
  • Nebraska: 4
  • LSU: 3
  • Alabama: 3
  • Auburn: 2
  • Penn State: 2
  • Ohio State, Stanford, UNC, Oklahoma: 1
Tech got more top Florida recruits than a lot of the “elites.” There’s no reason to think recruiting Florida won’t work. That’s like saying we should stop recruiting Georgia because there’s too much competition. If you want good players, you’re going to have to compete with factories to get them.

Last edited:

BeeStorm

Banned
If you guys followed Corey Dennis while he was here, nothing new with this. Would love to see him back here one day either as an OC or Head Coach:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...-impressions-on-coaches-teammates-and-players

Seems like an awesome guy. Would need to prove himself outside of the shell of where he's been comfortable for us to bring him back. We shouldn't just hire because "Tech Man".

Plus I like my OCs to have actually played QB or OL. Also, OCs that know the mechanics of throwing a football. You'd be surprised how few know how to teach throwing a football properly. Just preferences.

Good luck to Corey!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seems like an awesome guy. Would need to prove himself outside of the shell of where he's been comfortable for us to bring him back. We shouldn't just hire because "Tech Man".

Plus I like my OCs to have actually played QB or OL. Also, OCs that know the mechanics of throwing a football. You'd be surprised how few know how to teach throwing a football properly. Just preferences.

Good luck to Corey!

Neither CPJ or Mike Leach played college football. I think both did OK as offensive geniuses.

If you count HS experience, then Corey Dennis played QB in HS. That was the only experience Leach and CPJ had in terms of playing. Corey played P5 football, and was brought up under Urban Meyer and Ryan Day, and he's been the pseudo QB coach for some of the best QBs that have played the last few years.

I think Dennis is doing more than OK towards working up a good resume for future OC and HC.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Chase Brice is looking at possible transfer to Duke. They have no experience at that position coming back. Would be a good pick up for them. I hope he goes elsewhere.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What do you mean you don’t see it working? Tech signed 4 of the top 75 recruits in Florida this year (Bryce Gowdy is included in that group). Here’s how many Florida recruits some other notable programs have out of the top 75:
  • Florida: 15
  • Florida State: 10
  • Miami: 10
  • Georgia: 5
  • Clemson: 5
  • Nebraska: 4
  • LSU: 3
  • Alabama: 3
  • Auburn: 2
  • Penn State: 2
  • Ohio State, Stanford, UNC, Oklahoma: 1
Tech got more top Florida recruits than a lot of the “elites.” There’s no reason to think recruiting Florida won’t work. That’s like saying we should stop recruiting Georgia because there’s too much competition. If you want good players, you’re going to have to compete with factories to get them.
Look at your figures. The teams you listed grabbed 60 of the 75 best players; competition is as great as I said it was. It is true we did ok this year for the whole state. If Tech can get on a roll winning for the next few years we might sustain that. What I should have said is that I don't think we can succeed consistently as well down in south Florida. I don't think we can do more then occasionally cherry-pick a great athlete from down there. And then we usually have to take a risk; think William Bell as an example.

But this is a long-term project. If the coaches want to spend the money and time to try and make it work, more power to them.