2020 Offseason Thread

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Look at your figures. The teams you listed grabbed 60 of the 75 best players; competition is as great as I said it was. It is true we did ok this year for the whole state. If Tech can get on a roll winning for the next few years we might sustain that. What I should have said is that I don't think we can succeed consistently as well down in south Florida. I don't think we can do more then occasionally cherry-pick a great athlete from down there. And then we usually have to take a risk; think William Bell as an example.

But this is a long-term project. If the coaches want to spend the money and time to try and make it work, more power to them.

According to that list, we did more than “ok” in Florida. After the in state schools, only uga and Clemson had more than us (and only 1 more at that). I’d say we did pretty damn well in Florida.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Dodd used to get a few good athletes from Florida every year; he'd target them specially for attention. This usually didn't work - he wanted Emmitt Smith in the worst way - but sometimes it did and it paid off. If Tech has the money and the time, going down there makes sense. But I wouldn't take any heavy bets on this working even sometimes; too much competition for the athletes. If we get a Joe Auer once in awhile, however, it would sure help.
I think Dodd stopped coaching before before Emmitt Smith was born and retied as AD before he entered high school. He might have wanted him to come to GT, but it wasn’t in an official capacity.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think Dodds last year as AD was 1976 and Smith was born in 1969 so he would have been 7 .
I missed Dodd’s tenure and I became an acquaintance of Emmitt many years ago so I knew he was probably a decade younger than me. I was still almost fast enough to outrun him about 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I had lost my top end speed 5-10 years earlier as I was more well rounded and couldn’t pull it off.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I missed Dodd’s tenure and I became an acquaintance of Emmitt many years ago so I knew he was probably a decade younger than me. I was still almost fast enough to outrun him about 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I had lost my top end speed 5-10 years earlier as I was more well rounded and couldn’t pull it off.
His son EJ Smith was also a good player not sure who he signed with think it was a team out west

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
We have always done well in Florida. Our coaching staff has ties to Florida. It is one of the most talent rich states in the country. Why would we not recruit Florida? If there are elite recruits with top academics I would go anywhere to recruit them. You cannot win if you do not enter the race.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
“Blue-chips” are 4 and 5 star recruits. But yes, tell me again how Tech shouldn’t recruit Florida because “there’s too much competition.”

Psst. He’s never wrong... Don’t bother.

The rest of us know we can, have and will continue to recruit FL well. Heck, our first commit of the 2021 class is from FL and blowing up. Highly likely to be a top 75 guy in the state and potential 4 star as well.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
According to that list, we did more than “ok” in Florida. After the in state schools, only uga and Clemson had more than us (and only 1 more at that). I’d say we did pretty damn well in Florida.

The guy obviously has an agenda to downplay the monumental shift from not respected patsy to legitimate playoff contender.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The guy obviously has an agenda to downplay the monumental shift from not respected patsy to legitimate playoff contender.

Just FYI, I don’t think you can claim someone else has an agenda when you’re describing a team that was nearly always in prime contention for the division championship and got to 2 Orange Bowls in a decade as a “not respected patsy”. Come on, bruh.