2020 Offseason Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I still think there will be a 2020 college football season and i'm going to keep optimistically thinking that way. This is the only message board i post on where the posters think there will be no 2020 season. The Volnation message board i also post on everyone thinks there will be a 2020 college football season.
There may be a semblance of a college football season, but the schedule would definitely be cut down from 12 games to possibly just 8 or 9 conference games, and it definitely won’t start on Thursday September 3 for Tech, or Saturday the 5th for everyone else. There won’t be a college football game played until at least October, if they play one at all.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
There may be a semblance of a college football season, but the schedule would definitely be cut down from 12 games to possibly just 8 or 9 conference games, and it definitely won’t start on Thursday September 3 for Tech, or Saturday the 5th for everyone else. There won’t be a college football game played until at least October, if they play one at all.
If this happens, that would be two games in a row with UCF cancelled.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not at the point of saying no football, but I am at the point that there will not be a full season. Due to the revenue involved schools will try really hard to get as much of the season in as they can, but my gut is it won't be a full season.

Teams are going to be starting behind and late with limited to no spring practice and no summer workouts. You can't just show up at school in the fall and expect to play football in a couple of weeks.

More importantly, look at what happened in March. I am assuming any sporting events are going to require every player to be tested for COVID19 before the game - likely the day before.
If any test comes back positive then I expect every league college and professional will be shut down within 24 hours.

I'm not surprised the VolBoard thinks they will get a whole season in. Every SEC board i've visited that is the belief. But that is due largely to the fact that none of them right now can even consider a world where there is no college football. All it will take is one positive test. If there is one positive test of a college football player, it will all get shut down.

FWIW, I think a partial college football season is more likely than a partial college basketball season. College basketball is during a time frame that is normally a high time for flu ti begin with and are played indoors. If college football is shut down at any point in the fall I think college basketball will end up completely off the table.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Red, I love your posts and respect the hell out of you. I have decided to respectfully disagree with some of your reasoning here, though. Please respect my decision. I think that your comment and some other related comments are missing the point for why society is doing the whole social distancing thing. Remember, we are trying to flatten the curve to help the healthcare system avoid being completely overwhelmed. In the scenario of a flattened curve we all still get exposed to the virus - it just occurs at a slower pace so that the healthcare system has a better chance to keep up. With the incredibly rare exception of individuals who truly go off the grid and manage to avoid any human interaction including touching the same things other humans have touched, there isn't a situation where we don't all get exposed. It's super contagious. Except, again, for a very small few of the most vulnerable of us, we aren't going to avoid being exposed until a vaccine or proven treatment is out. By the time the vaccine is out, we will just be attempting to boost immunity for most of us and protect those few most vulnerable who haven't been exposed. By the fall, I would bet that entire team and staff will have been exposed to COVID-19 and Lord willing, none of them will have been severely ill. Youth is certainly in their favor save a few members of the staff. All this to say, I really think experts are not going to be advising isolation by this fall, and the fall football season is very unlikely to be cancelled.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Red, I love your posts and respect the hell out of you. I have decided to respectfully disagree with some of your reasoning here, though. Please respect my decision. I think that your comment and some other related comments are missing the point for why society is doing the whole social distancing thing. Remember, we are trying to flatten the curve to help the healthcare system avoid being completely overwhelmed. In the scenario of a flattened curve we all still get exposed to the virus - it just occurs at a slower pace so that the healthcare system has a better chance to keep up. With the incredibly rare exception of individuals who truly go off the grid and manage to avoid any human interaction including touching the same things other humans have touched, there isn't a situation where we don't all get exposed. It's super contagious. Except, again, for a very small few of the most vulnerable of us, we aren't going to avoid being exposed until a vaccine or proven treatment is out. By the time the vaccine is out, we will just be attempting to boost immunity for most of us and protect those few most vulnerable who haven't been exposed. By the fall, I would bet that entire team and staff will have been exposed to COVID-19 and Lord willing, none of them will have been severely ill. Youth is certainly in their favor save a few members of the staff. All this to say, I really think experts are not going to be advising isolation by this fall, and the fall football season is very unlikely to be cancelled.
You just listed a ton of reasons why the college football season might get cancelled in an attempt to say it’s unlikely it will get cancelled. There’s barely any science about the future of this virus. There’s no indication about how it reacts in a dormant state for people who have contracted and recovered from the disease. It might retain its full contagion abilities, it could have a form similar to shingles and chicken pox. Personally I don’t believe there’s any way a full 12 game college football season is played, and I also believe it’s unlikely fans will be allowed at any sporting event or live event in general conducted for the remainder of 2020, or until there is a reliable vaccine.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I definitely respect your opinion 05. It is not an unreasonable one.
I think it is a legitimate take.
My opinion is based largely on 2 factors. One, epidimiologists expect there to be multiple waves and have stated they expect us to be able to relax mitigation measures at times, but then have to re-implement them at future points. So I am expecting a future point in time where a recommendation where be made by the health professionals to tighten up restrictions again,

Second, my other belief are that University President's are generally very conservative creatures and will err on the side of caution in terms of isolating people.

I'll add straight out, all of this is just my opinion. Which frankly doesn't mean crap because right now none of us really know what things are going to be like in 4-5 months. I'm hoping for a best case scenario (my parents are in their late 70's and my mother in law is 91 - so i really want to keep them protected as best I can), but preparing for a worst case scenario.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
If kids aren’t in camp by June expect at minimum a delay. If the outbreak in Michigan, Louisiana, NY, California, or any other state remains consistent or worsens expect an even further delay. If a new outbreak happens during the course of the year season is over. The NCAA can’t risk exposing students or student athletes.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
If kids aren’t in camp by June expect at minimum a delay. If the outbreak in Michigan, Louisiana, NY, California, or any other state remains consistent or worsens expect an even further delay. If a new outbreak happens during the course of the year season is over. The NCAA can’t risk exposing students or student athletes.
I thought camp stated about August 1st usually

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I think the season looks less likely by the week. Certainly the idea of a full season, and possibly even a partial season,

NBA is now starting to give up on the idea of resuming this season and instead is working with the Players Union to try to figure out a way to best plan for hopefully having a season next year.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...lan-for-possible-canceled-season-report-says/

Big issue is testing. Unless you can test everyone with immediate results before every game, it doesn't work from a health perspective.
This is also where I think University President's will likely land. Unless you can test everyone, every game and have it not impact testing to the general public - it is going to be hard to move forward.

Keep in mind just this week Wimbeldon has been cancelled, the USGA has moved the US Women's Open from June to December and the Chinese Basketball Association has indefinitely suspended resumption of their season after hoping to restart in May.

the Chinese Basketball Association is one to watch as a marker because alot of leagues are watching it as many feel China being the first country to have the virus will be the first country to have sports again.

China attempted to open movie theaters a couple of weeks ago and shut them down again after a week.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MLB is looking into possibly trying to quarantine players and anyone else needed to play a game and have games at spring training sites with no fans. They are not anywhere close though to working out the details where they could restart.

Also, from the SEC today
The SEC has announced that all in-person athletic activities are suspended through at least the end of May. The conference is allowing virtual film review for a maximum of four hours per week beginning April 6.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I spoke with a contractor I know who has a son the plays football at eastern Michigan. I asked him what have you guys heard from the staff/school. He said they’re telling the kids to be prepared for a July camp and a first week of August start. I’m sure it’s worst case scenario but it’s a contingency plan if need be. The reasoning is the possibility of it returning late fall. And they’re possibly thinking 9 games. 8 conference and 1 OOC if possible.
I’m not taking anything he’s says as facts but it was a good perspective from someone who has a kid playing a fall sport.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ole Miss has cancelled all in person camps, conferences and classes through Aug 1.

The State of Arkansas cancelled all college summer camps and in person classes yesterday.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
L'ville's 4 highest paid coaches have agreed to take 10% pay cuts this year.
Second school to publicly announce coaching pay cuts - there will likely be many more.

ACC schools are expected to lose $3M in revenue from loss of ACC and NCAA tourney.