2020 MLB Draft

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I watched much of the broadcast of the draft last night. I thought ESPN did a great job. It was informative and entertaining. I am not someone who typically watches any draft live; but with nothing better to do... I watched.

Thanks @GTJon. The AJC piece re Baron was indeed telling. It definitely sounded like he is going to be drafted; and therefore, gone. What could have been... I really wonder how his season would have progressed. I wonder that about every player...actually. Missed/Missing GT baseball.

Tangent...As they were showing highlights of some of the players drafted last night... some from CWS action. It hit me... there is a group of players... a college team out there that would be about 2 weeks from being crowned 2020 NCAA champions later this month. We'll never know who that would have been; but a team would have... and they'll never experience that. Just sucks. Nobody's fault... just hit me and bummed me out a little bit.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Depending on the slot it may be interesting to see who goes and doesn't.
What did Baron turn down to got to GT and he definitely got better while he has been here.
Another do over year and there 2 eligible, is still some leverage.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks @GTJon. The AJC piece re Baron was indeed telling. It definitely sounded like he is going to be drafted; and therefore, gone. What could have been... I really wonder how his season would have progressed. I wonder that about every player...actually. Missed/Missing GT baseball. ........

Agree Baron probably expects to go. But we'll see.

The reason I say that is the first round had more HS players than I expected. So there are less college slots available. Maybe that will change in rounds 2-5 tonight.

Specifically, round 1 had about 1/3 (12 of 37) HS players. The attached article has historical HS picks at 1/5 for all 40 rounds or 1/4 for top 10 rounds. https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/draft-system-has-pushed-teams-to-pick-more-college-players/

I can only assume that scouts talking with a player and his family will be as positive as possible. These discussions would establish a player's $ number to sign for the teams. In Baron's case, this may be able to be met if there are still college slots available.

The flip side is that with more HS players being signed, there is more "risk" that Parada, DeLeo and/or Grissom will be drafted.

But I'll stick with Waddell and Parada tonight since I'm stubborn, not because I really know.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Did we lose anybody in Round 2? UGA's Wilcox went at number 80 in round 3.
No current players or recruits yet. Have to believe that is a good sign for Parada since he was routinely ranked as a top 50 prospect. Can't imagine he'd be willing to take slot value at any point from here so it would have to be a team who really was willing to go low on their first rounder to pay Parada enough.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. I thought that if Parada fell below 75 or so it was a sign that he was a difficult signee. Good for us.
Now let's get Waddell drafted!

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
If we return majority of last years roster, I think it will be very difficult to find these incoming freshmen playing time. I have personally watched many of our 2020 recruits and they’re some absolute studs!

example:

Parada: Do you Guys think he beats out holland for the catching position next year!

Jake Deleo: amazing overall player, that can play multiple positions in the outfield. I would expect coaches will try anyway to get him on the field.

John Anderson and Brad Grenkoski are studs. Both batted in the 2 and 3 hole on ecb astros for multiple years. Also, I have seen grenkoski on the mound throwing mid 90’s.

marquis Grissom jr: He’s going to be an elite pitcher for us in years to come.

tervell Johnson. Underrated in this class, but I think he will bring a lot of good things to the program. He can play a lot of different positions, and his bat is legit!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Well.... Guldberg’s pick shows how much I know about baseball lol. I didn’t think Tech would have anybody go in the top 100 picks, and I thought Guldberg was the least likely to get picked at all among the 3 biggest prospects.

With that being said, Guldy is a fantastic dude. Quite the definition of a Tech man. Also happens to be one of the best pure hitters I’ve seen come through Tech in a while. Him being picked as an outfielder is a little surprising to me though. He doesn’t put up the power numbers expected out of a typical corner outfielder, and while I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play CF, I don’t think he’s quite the top level outfielder expected out of most CF prospects. I was thinking he’d project out better as a 2B more so than an outfielder, but maybe his versatility is a big reason the liked him enough to take him in the 3rd round.

And @gtrower I originally thought it very unlikely for anybody selected in the draft not to sign. In a normal draft year I’d say the Guldberg pick would be a money saving pick, but Guldy is worth a lot more than other typical money saving picks because of his leverage. If they felt good enough about him to take him in the 3rd, I’m sure they’re going to offer him at least close to slot value. At this point I’m as lost as anybody.