2020 MLB Draft

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
We're going to be in town 6/22-25 and it sucks that campus/tours/Barnes and Noble is closed :(. Will still drive/walk the family around the flats. We'll go check out the construction from behind the fences if we can.

I think both Goldberg and Radcliff could do very well with another year and continued growth and domination. They have 2 years eligible so they have leverage. and could cut their draft picks in half in '22 with a real season and more looks and bombs! Next season is going to be off the charts!! They could leverage that for an extra $1M-$500K in slot value, looking at the chart and making a wild guess.

Next season and keeping the recruiting class in tact is going to be some SERIOUSLY good baseball!!!!! Can't wait.

Deleted member 2897

Thank you everyone for all the info posted here over the last week. I've been busy and unable to keep up with the new recruits and draft. In about 15 minutes on this one thread I was able to catch all the way up. Thank you!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From D1, big winners from the draft:

Florida - #1 preseason didn't lose anyone
TCU, Miami (despite losses still getting four top 50 recruits according to Prep Baseball Report, and nine in the top 300) , USCe, Arizona

Big losers:
Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Arizona State, UNC (lost Sabato and two stud LHP commits)

Before the draft, we had the 16th ranked PG class https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx .
We had a total of 95 points and no losses. looking at the numbers for other teams and not going too deep, I don't think we'll get to #10 (105 points) but will probably move up to like 12th or 13th or so.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...... Will be curious what you find @GTNavyNuke for 5 rounds of picks regarding HS guys taken. It was the fewest ever in the top 100 picks.

My reaction that 35% was a lot of HS players taken was from the Baseball America link I posted showing HS and college players drafted as a % over 10 rounds (25%) and all 40 rounds (20%). Seems that HS players are a much higher % of the first couple rounds than later rounds. https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/draft-system-has-pushed-teams-to-pick-more-college-players/

Here's what D1 said "– Surprisingly, 47 preps were selected in the five rounds which totaled 160 picks. This number of preps is identical to the number taken in the top five rounds in 2019, but trailing 2018 (52) and 2017 (66). Additionally, five junior college prospects and 108 four-year college prospects were selected with four seniors among the 108 college picks. "

So I was rong again, but learned something figuring out why.;)

And then for a summary:
"– Of the 108 four-year college players, 105 came from the Division I ranks. Here’s how they broke down by conference: SEC (26), ACC (20), Pac-12 (12), Big 12 (nine), Big Ten (six). That adds up to 73 players from the Power Five conferences, compared with 32 from all of the other conferences.

– Arizona State led all college teams with five players drafted, followed by Michigan, Oklahoma and Vanderbilt with four apiece. Louisville, Miami, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Texas A&M had three players drafted apiece.
"

Concerning the number of players drafted by team, some are so overstocked (Vandy, Miami, L'Ville) it doesn't matter much. Probably did them a favor by not have draft quality players that they couldn't get into their starting group (tic somewhat).

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
From D1, big winners from the draft:

Florida - #1 preseason didn't lose anyone
TCU, Miami (despite losses still getting four top 50 recruits according to Prep Baseball Report, and nine in the top 300) , USCe, Arizona

Big losers:
Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Arizona State, UNC (lost Sabato and two stud LHP commits)

Before the draft, we had the 16th ranked PG class https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx .
We had a total of 95 points and no losses. looking at the numbers for other teams and not going too deep, I don't think we'll get to #10 (105 points) but will probably move up to like 12th or 13th or so.
Math never being my strong suit, I’m pretty sure after Perfect Game re-ranks the recruiting classes, GT would pass the following schools: UCLA, Texas, Arizona, Mississippi State, TCU, and North Carolina. Thereby making GT’s 2020 class a top ten class.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Math never being my strong suit, I’m pretty sure after Perfect Game re-ranks the recruiting classes, GT would pass the following schools: UCLA, Texas, Arizona, Mississippi State, TCU, and North Carolina. Thereby making GT’s 2020 class a top ten class.

We have to see who signs before Perfect Game can adjust the rankings. You may be right; there is a mathematical way someone who cared more than I could do the math at this time :)

BTW, you are newish to the site (welcome) and I was wondering if you had a baseball background. Many here, like myself don't, and speculate without that experience.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We have to see who signs before Perfect Game can adjust the rankings. You may be right; there is a mathematical way someone who cared more than I could do the math at this time :)

BTW, you are newish to the site (welcome) and I was wondering if you had a baseball background. Many here, like myself don't, and speculate without that experience.
Thank you for the welcome! Been following this chat for awhile now and decided to jump in because this community is great! I’ve been in and around this game for a long time, so I thought I can also add some perspective as well as continue to get some. This game is always teaching us. Thanks again.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So... how will this work? Is it as much of a free for all as it seems it'l be. A guy like Hughes? Is it likely nearly every team has contacted him and all willing to give him the 20k (max allowed) bonus...or very close. And he can just PICK the organization he wants to sign with? ...or will teams apply pressure somehow... not really allowing him to 'shop' like that?

Edit: Sorry... I just posted this tweet to highlight the start of all this is officially underway. I have not read the article. No idea if any of our guys on are the top 25 list or not.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So... how will this work? Is it as much of a free for all as it seems it'l be. A guy like Hughes? Is it likely nearly every team has contacted him and all willing to give him the 20k (max allowed) bonus...or very close. And he can just PICK the organization he wants to sign with? ...or will teams apply pressure somehow... not really allowing him to 'shop' like that?

Edit: Sorry... I just posted this tweet to highlight the start of all this is officially underway. I have not read the article. No idea if any of our guys on are the top 25 list or not.

Hughes is on the top 25 list and no doubt will garner multiple offers. Because teams are limited to offering a maximum of $20k, players will have some leverage as to what team they ultimately sign with in the case they have multiple offers. MLB has set strict rules relative to adding other benefits in order to persuade a player to sign with their organization to try to keep all of the teams on an equal playing field. However, it’s clear which teams treat their minor leaguers better than others. Some teams charge less than others to house and feed their players. Some teams like Toronto pay their guys better. And anyone can see that teams like Oakland, who had indicated they were going to stop paying their minor leaguers and only reversed course after taking a major PR hit, may not be so attractive to sign with. The Yankees just cut 45 players, while the Royals cut no players and will pay them until the end of the non existent minor league season. Keep in mind some teams are on the verge of slashing their scouting departments and furloughing employees. There may not be as many signings as people think there may be, and not every player who signs will get the maximum permitted. Some of these players may end taking substantially less for the dream of playing professional baseball.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
CDH says in this interview the advice he's giving his undrafted juniors (including his own son) is come back to school.
Paraphrasing....Assume there will be no minor league baseball at all this year. Turn down the $20k bonus (or less), come back, help GT achieve big goals... & if you aren't drafted next year then it probably was not meant to be. I wonder if he meant juniors (and anyone with eligibility)? I know it is different... leverage-wise.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CDH says in this interview the advice he's giving his undrafted juniors (including his own son) is come back to school.
Paraphrasing....Assume there will be no minor league baseball at all this year. Turn down the $20k bonus (or less), come back, help GT achieve big goals... & if you aren't drafted next year then it probably was not meant to be. I wonder if he meant juniors (and anyone with eligibility)? I know it is different... leverage-wise.

I agree. The MLB business model may never be the same or as lucrative. Or it may come back 90%. Who knows really? I'd counsel working on other life options too.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-recent-72-game-season-offer-will-not-counter

Even for Hughes, staying at GT may be better. I wish him the best regardless of which way he takes his life.