2020 ACC Baseball

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess another reason for the total cancellation is the uncertainty on how to keep players in shape, especially for baseball. If you're trying to limit spread of disease, it doesn't make sense to keep practicing. So how far in advance of restarting the season should you resume practice? How much work do pitchers need to be game ready? No matter what, it's going to take a while once you've stopped indefinitely, even in the best scenario. So then you resume for a couple of weeks in May? Hard to decide much of a champion of that limited season. But it still hurts me as a fan, can't imagine what the players and coaches are going through.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Hypothetical question to ponder.
Say the next two months are cancelled and we play one more week or four games.
We win three and end up 14-6. Is that enough work to make the NCAA 64?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Hypothetical question to ponder.
Say the next two months are cancelled and we play one more week or four games.
We win three and end up 14-6. Is that enough work to make the NCAA 64?
They cancelled the College World Series, so the whole year is shot.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
They canceled the College World Series, so the whole year is shot.

I at least hope that they start up at some point and our freshmen can get more experience. That may be where it hurts a lot of teams next year as well. This year's freshmen may play like freshmen next year too.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Nobody ever told me that there would be days like this. Heck, as a 67 year old cancer patient, I can't go to crowds, go out to eat, go to the grocery store.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
They could easily delay the CWS a month.
They're already playing after the semester any way.
Cancel the collegiate summer league (or shorten it too).
Canceling now seems premature.

Feel bad for all the students and athletes (Especially if they were a senior or drafting Junior trying to work a slot, at least they'll have their senior year, but still. SUCKS!!!).
Spring break extended and they're not returning to campus after......for remote learning.

If remote education is the way to go....going to hurt A LOT of bottom lines of prestigious universities who can't hold classes on campus....what's the point of attending certain schools if location doesn't matter.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

This is a panic decision and is extremely unfair to the student-athletes.

Delay/suspension would have been understandable. Cancellation is.....a very weak choice which shows extremely poor leadership. It sounds like a decision made by a bunch of attorneys trying to minimize legal liability, rather than balancing all the interests at stake.

I hope all the salaries of the people who made this decision are cancelled, just so they know how it feels......

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This is a panic decision and is extremely unfair to the student-athletes.

Delay/suspension would have been understandable. Cancellation is.....a very weak choice which shows extremely poor leadership. It sounds like a decision made by a bunch of attorneys trying to minimize legal liability, rather than balancing all the interests at stake.

I hope all the salaries of the people who made this decision are cancelled, just so they know how it feels......
To play devil’s advocate... cancelling this far in advance probably is in the best interest of everyone involved. There is no need to worry about scheduling, travel issues, eligibility, etc. of course it SUCKS for seniors and others who have to have to waste a year of eligibility. But it gives everyone time to assess the situation, and make decisions regarding the future that aren’t rash or appear to be rushed. Think about everyone who had booked trips to go to conference and NCAA basketball tourneys who now just have to eat that money. Cancelling the CWS this far out saves everyone that hassle, without dangling the possibility of moving dates in front of everyone. There was going to be no way the NCAA could field a legitimate field of 64 (or any other number of) teams to compete in the postseason. Dozens of games were going to be lost, and with the way baseball is, not playing dozens of games greatly affects how a team’s season looks. FSU damn sure wouldn’t have made the field of 64 at this point last year, and they ended up in Omaha. Tech wouldn’t have hosted a regional. There’s so many factors playing in to this, but I think cancelling it is probably the best overall move to make. You could always make the argument that postponement would be better, but I believe there’s too many outside factors influencing the decision outside of the virus‘a risks themselves.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It'll be really interesting to see what happens with the draft now and who comes back for next year. I think Waddell and Radcliff will still be drafted along with Hughes and maybe Archer. But I could easily see Hall and Guldberg coming back and I thought that both of them would get drafted.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The statement from NCAA was specific to "remaining winter and spring championships." Not sure why they only cancelled the postseason... but that language is clear. Anybody know why that may be? Are the regular season & conference tournaments outside NCAA's authority? I don't know.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The statement from NCAA was specific to "remaining winter and spring championships." Not sure why they only cancelled the postseason... but that language is clear. Anybody know why that may be? Are the regular season & conference tournaments outside NCAA's authority? I don't know.
I suppose if teams/conferences wanted to get together and play some games after the dust settles they would be able to. There just wouldn’t be an NCAA recognized “national champion” for the 2020 season. It’s would think it’s like everyone received a postseason ban for this year, where they’re free to play all their regular season games, just no postseason games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I suppose if teams/conferences wanted to get together and play some games after the dust settles they would be able to. There just wouldn’t be an NCAA recognized “national champion” for the 2020 season. It’s would think it’s like everyone received a postseason ban for this year, where they’re free to play all their regular season games, just no postseason games.
Ok. Cool. Let's assume the dust settles. I pray it does... quickly.

Assuming it does... maybe ACC could salvage something. Have an expanded 14 team tournament over a couple of weeks?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Assuming it does... maybe ACC could salvage something. Have an expanded 14 team tournament over a couple of weeks?

The ACC could.

Win an ACC title when it means nothing towards the College World Series. Would be typical GT.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I guess another reason for the total cancellation is the uncertainty on how to keep players in shape, especially for baseball. If you're trying to limit spread of disease, it doesn't make sense to keep practicing. So how far in advance of restarting the season should you resume practice? How much work do pitchers need to be game ready? No matter what, it's going to take a while once you've stopped indefinitely, even in the best scenario. So then you resume for a couple of weeks in May? Hard to decide much of a champion of that limited season. But it still hurts me as a fan, can't imagine what the players and coaches are going through.
These are great questions & it does sound like "officially" practices won't be happening for the foreseeable future. How (or whether) to ramp back up could be a real issue for baseball for sure.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Honestly I think it would be awesome if teams could get together and play “regional” tournaments. Would probably be extremely hard to make happen logistically though. But imagine how cool a southern “regional” tournament would be consisting of teams like
  • GT
  • UGA
  • Clemson
  • Miami
  • FSU
  • Vandy
  • Duke
  • UNC
  • Wake
  • NC St.
  • Auburn
  • Bama
  • Miss St
  • Ole Miss
  • Arkansas
  • LSU
  • Tennessee
  • Florida
  • Kentucky
  • Louisville
  • South Carolina
Play some “exhibition” games against more local teams then draw up a bracket and play at either neutral sites, or schools near the middle of a geographic region of teams. There could be “regionals” for all US regions, sorta like the Little League World Series. Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, West, Mid-Atlantic, etc. Of course this is an extreme long shot and there’s virtually no chance of it happening. Still won’t stop me from thinking about how cool it would be though.