2020 ACC Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Based on the ACC statement yesterday, this is not happening with any ACC team.

“The Atlantic Coast Conference has suspended all athletic related activities including all competition, formal and organized practice, recruiting and participation in NCAA championships until further notice. The decision was made following consultation with the league’s presidents and athletic directors to mitigate the further spread of COVID-19.”

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Place this in the it'll never happen category... but if for some unlikely reason, we can get back to safe baseball in the next 4-6 weeks, maybe something like this.

Play a few weekends of already scheduled ACC series, then have 2 divisional double elimination tournaments. A 7 team double elimination tournament could be done in 6 days...Tues-Sun (length same as current ACC format). Would 12 (or 13 games) total. Each team would play a minimum of 2 games (obviously). The champion/Runner-up could play up to 7 games (as few as 4 if 4-0).

2 Division Champions emerge and meet the following week/weekend for a 3 game championship series... I'd like to see a best of 5.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
If Tech is ever to win a CWS, it will have an asterisk next to it-like 1995 with the Atlanta Braves. We just can’t have nice things.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Maybe early collegiate summer leagues if the dust settles and people can calm the hell down.
People saw too much My Big Fat Greek Wedding. There was a run on Windex at our local grocery store.....

Oh the humanity or lack there of.....

Deleted member 2897

I just think about all the different wide ranging ramifications of this. Think about the seniors who don’t really get to show out, especially the ones who are just now emerging. How does that affect their draft prospects? Do the rest of the players that are not seniors get this year back as a red shirt year? And then if so, think about all the high school players – that changes our entire class spacing and scholarship availability. Not just in baseball obviously but across all spring sports.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Duke never was any benefit to athletics other than BB. Why don't we play the baseball season form May thru August

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Yep, this is going to be an issue, for those that choose to stay.
I do think those that can, will still draft as this years juniors.

Each year is a contract.
Some might choose to stay but if they didn't deliver or whatever the previous seasons, they might not make it back for the "Corona" Extra Year....
I do think they'll tighten scholarship offers/spots going forward and those with crazy amounts are just asking for trouble (Vandy, UVA, Arkansas, TTech, etc. )
https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx

I think this will be hard as people tighten belts for the 21s, and 22s & 23s...

I do think it is an issue for people to come up with another year of tuition and such. I think realism will set in and those that won't make it to the Bigs, will opt out and graduate.

Really hope this mess is settled before Summer so summer ball can happen. This summer becomes really important to compete and improve to hold your spots.

Everyone but the 20s are on Verbals......this could really mess with those too.
upload_2020-3-13_13-39-32.png

upload_2020-3-13_13-39-51.png
upload_2020-3-13_13-40-20.png

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe early collegiate summer leagues if the dust settles and people can calm the hell down.
People saw too much My Big Fat Greek Wedding. There was a run on Windex at our local grocery store.....

Oh the humanity or lack there of.....
Doesn't it fix everything :D :D :D
Hopefully it does settle down soon. It may as long as people aren't idiots like Rudy Gobert (must be something about the name Rudy, who was offsides).

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry.. series of quite a few tweets; but interesting. This is/will be a mess.

It's probably (realistically) more than a five year issue to work out. I want to give this year's seniors an extra year but then you basically have to do it for everyone on the roster. Plus you need to allocate extra scholarships for the incoming freshman. You'll have to gradually work that down so that you don't hurt an incoming (or in-place) class. I have my doubts that the NCAA will do the right thing though. They seem intent on killing the goose.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I think you will see more guys try to draft out of high school now than deal with this mess and the extra competition and reduced playing opportunity and time.

It isn’t like the mlb isn’t going to draft this year. I think the seniors came back for a reason. They shouldn’t need another year. Juniors hoping to draft this year still have a chance to draft this or go back and draft after their senior.

How many team roster spots have seniors on them? You’re going to create a 4 year problem for the small number of seniors who also had an opportunity to draft last year but chose not to. There are still or would be workouts, etc.....

I don’t get it.... help me understand this a bit better?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Man, cancelling even practice, recruiting, etc. feel bad for the seniors, how does the MLB gonna do the draft now? Will everyone else get back a year of eligibility? Then that screws the outgoing high schoolers.

MLB should do draft as always. Based on age by signing day and "academic" completion of three years. Given the mess next year in college ball, that should tip the scales a bit to drafted players accepting the offers.

I think you will see more guys try to draft out of high school now than deal with this mess and the extra competition and reduced playing opportunity and time.

It isn’t like the mlb isn’t going to draft this year. I think the seniors came back for a reason. They shouldn’t need another year. Juniors hoping to draft this year still have a chance to draft this or go back and draft after their senior.

How many team roster spots have seniors on them? You’re going to create a 4 year problem for the small number of seniors who also had an opportunity to draft last year but chose not to. There are still or would be workouts, etc.....

I don’t get it.... help me understand this a bit better?

I can't help with understanding an irrational world.

There are so many changes here it's hard to know the interaction:
  • Article at https://d1baseball.com/stories/ncaa-clear-in-wanting-relief-for-spring-athletes/
  • Cancellation of most college seasons and practice time means slower player development in colleges in the near term
  • Increasing roster size is easy, but will scholarship limits be increased?
  • Regardless of roster size limits, there is only so much playing time to go around. That will lead to less development for the average player. As always the best players will get the most time and more players will not play.
  • What's going to happen with MLB? I expect they will have games but not allow fans for a while. Based on places with summer weather like ours (Hong Kong and South America) we should expect the virus to remain with us with smaller outbreaks until 60-70% of the people have self immunized by getting the virus.
  • Don't know what HS are doing overall, but in our area they are shut down for at least two weeks and I expect cancelled baseball given lateness of HS season. I expect summer ball will be there in some form.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I had an interesting thought this morning that maybe they could play the rest of the season in the fall. Start games August 1st and just have a 20 game conference season followed by a brief tournament. The season would be over by mid-September so it wouldn't interfere with football that much as well. I don't know how plausible this is or even how realistic, but it could solve some problems. You would let the incoming freshmen participate in practice, but not be able to play. This would count as a year of eligibility and there could be a 2nd MLB draft at the conclusion of the season for seniors. Again just a thought that I had this morning. I'm already having some withdrawals lol.