2020-2021 NBA Season Talk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The 76ers desperately need a PG with the guts to make plays. No one does that better than Jose. Ben Simmons lost the series for Philadelphia and he will almost certainly not be the #1 option for this team in 2022.

slugboy

Staff member
When ESPN cited this stat (and I think TNT did too), I thought “that’s a jinx—no way he loses after they say that on the air”:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I liked Doc Rivers as a player and like him as a coach. Ben Simmons' flaws as a player are not Doc Rivers' fault. He has to play his #1 PG even when the guy refuses to shoot. And, in fairness to Ben, he did a decent job defending Trae. Last night it was other guys who beat the 76ers.

Edit: How many coaches have had 29 chances to clinch a playoff series? If this is an indictment it falls very short.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Simmons has a salary of over 33 m. In 2024-25 it rises to over 40 m.
A cap and dead cap hit currently both over 33 million. It’s not like they can cut him and his trade value is extremely low if almost non-existent. They would have to take on another problem, from another team. Who needs a PG that doesn’t lead or hit his charity tosses?

Doc was a fine player here in the Atl. and I like him a lot as a H.C.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Glenn Rivers is the most overrated coach in the history of competitive sports. It's takes real coaching talent to blow 3 .... 3 3-1 series leads so their collapse in this series was not only unsurprising but was expected.

Always remember, Rivers' supposed strong suit is in player relations. Yet each and every one of his teams imploded due, in large part, to interpersonal/lockerroom issues between players.

And Simmons didn't lose them this series. Hawks were just the better team. And please don't cite Embiid's injury. Guy is fine every 1st half. Dominant, eve. Since he's clearly out of shape though, his impact fades in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

It's deplorable how they're throwing Simmons under the bus. How about stop supid-fouling guys on jumpshots, Thybulle?
Maybe make an adjustment when you see Curry getting his a** spit-roasted by Heurter all game, Glenn?

How about find a treadmill in the offseason, JoeLLLL? So you can stop settling for fadeaway long 2's against guys you have a clear and obvious physical advantage over.

Oh and maybe stop turning the ball over, JoeLLLL.

It's a team game. They all contributed to the loss but found an easy scapegoat in Simmons and it's shameful.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And furthermore ...

How dare you, Glenn? How freaking dare you suggest your team can't win with Simmons as point guard.

Nothing in game 7 was new to you or anyone else who watched his career. So are you saying you didn't think you could win with him before game 7 too? What does that say about you and your game prep then?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And furtherfurthermore ...

Was is Simmons' fault you gave up an 18-pt lead AND a near 30-pt lead in two different playoff games, Glenn? In the same series?

Even if you think it was Simmons' fault, who you gonna blame for the Clippers blowing that game against a Houston team led by friggin Josh Smith and Corey Brewer after they benched James Harden a few years ago?

I'm sensing a pattern and it's got nothing to do with Simmons and his obvious limitations.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this regarding "the process". The Hawks have been to the ECF, tore it down to the studs, and are back in the ECF again since "the process" started.

Meanwhile, Philly hasn't been outta the 2nd round still. Who are they kidding?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And furtherfurthermore ...

Was is Simmons' fault you gave up an 18-pt lead AND a near 30-pt lead in two different playoff games, Glenn? In the same series?

Even if you think it was Simmons' fault, who you gonna blame for the Clippers blowing that game against a Houston team led by friggin Josh Smith and Corey Brewer after they benched James Harden a few years ago?

I'm sensing a pattern and it's got nothing to do with Simmons and his obvious limitations.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this regarding "the process". The Hawks have been to the ECF, tore it down to the studs, and are back in the ECF again since "the process" started.

Meanwhile, Philly hasn't been outta the 2nd round still. Who are they kidding?
From these last three posts I have to wonder if you live in Philadelphia??? That's brutal.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
From these last three posts I have to wonder if you live in Philadelphia??? That's brutal.

Haha, nope but I've been a staunch critic of their whole 'process' nonsense. And it just so happens I have an unnatural dislike for Glenn Rivers and his false coaching rep.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some of the 76er fans on their forum have come right out and said the Atlanta rebuild was done right and should be a model for others. But few in the media are giving the Hawks or Nate McMillan much credit. This team is deep with capable talent. With all the complaining in the media about Embiid not being 100%, people forget the Hawks were without two starters and Bogdanovic was nursing a bruised knee.

My take is that maybe the Hawks are simply a better team right now.