2020-2021 GT Hoops Schedule

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner was against this idea, wasn't he?
Usually when teams schedule a 2 for 1 (or home-away), there is no payment to the other team, where there is when GT schedules a one time home game with someone.

In this case, GT likely gets the revenue from the two games at home, and GA State gets it for the one game at their place. I would not be surprised if this has something to do with this being scheduled. The cost for either team to play this road game is next to nil (10 minute bus ride), plus there will be GT fans going to the game at GA State (I went when we played there over 10 years ago) and you can assume decent number of GA State fans will pay for tickets at McCamish - so likely larger crowd for both schools than for many non-conference opponents. Doing 2 for 1 is one way non P5 schools are able to get an occasional home date with a P5 school.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah. I'm shocked he agreed to this.

They've taken a modest step back with Hunter gone, but I don't think that will last at all.

@ChasonBaller - thoughts on State's long term outlook?
Another State/GT fan right here, and I've been going to GSU games since before the Hunter era. To give you some background on the outlook: This year GSU will be led by senior combo guards, Kane Williams and Corey Allen. Allen is more of an iso and outside shooter, while Kane is a better off ball/slashing type. Nelson Phillips(a junior)is a Power 5 level athlete who can play the 3 or the 4, and Justin Roberts(junior) is a solid PG who can shoot it. Jojo Toppin(UGA) and Eliel Nsoseme(Cincinnati) are guys who sat out this past year, and Toppin has 3 years left to play. Both should excel in the Sun Belt.

To the new coaching staff: Rob Lanier did fine for his first year. It was always going to be tough to replace 4 starters and key contributors, but he seemed to adjust quickly, starting off at 18-9 and looking as if we had the Sun Belt in hand. We faltered down the stretch which left a sour taste in a lot of fan's mouths, but it is still cool to see how far the program has come: 19 wins is a "down" year now when just 10 years ago that would have been incredible. Lanier doesn't roam the sidelines with the same fiery passion as Hunter did, he is a different style of coach with a different attitude. He has continued to recruit VERY well though, and as GSU keeps reloading I think at the least we will be favorites in the Sun Belt for the coming years. I hope GT doesn't take GSU lightly; I was in McCamish a few years ago when they did(albeit in an exhibition), and GSU made them pay.

Also shocked that Pastner agreed to this, and I will be very conflicted; in the exhibition game, I just cheered for whoever had the ball!:)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another State/GT fan right here, and I've been going to GSU games since before the Hunter era. To give you some background on the outlook: This year GSU will be led by senior combo guards, Kane Williams and Corey Allen. Allen is more of an iso and outside shooter, while Kane is a better off ball/slashing type. Nelson Phillips(a junior)is a Power 5 level athlete who can play the 3 or the 4, and Justin Roberts(junior) is a solid PG who can shoot it. Jojo Toppin(UGA) and Eliel Nsoseme(Cincinnati) are guys who sat out this past year, and Toppin has 3 years left to play. Both should excel in the Sun Belt.

To the new coaching staff: Rob Lanier did fine for his first year. It was always going to be tough to replace 4 starters and key contributors, but he seemed to adjust quickly, starting off at 18-9 and looking as if we had the Sun Belt in hand. We faltered down the stretch which left a sour taste in a lot of fan's mouths, but it is still cool to see how far the program has come: 19 wins is a "down" year now when just 10 years ago that would have been incredible. Lanier doesn't roam the sidelines with the same fiery passion as Hunter did, he is a different style of coach with a different attitude. He has continued to recruit VERY well though, and as GSU keeps reloading I think at the least we will be favorites in the Sun Belt for the coming years. I hope GT doesn't take GSU lightly; I was in McCamish a few years ago when they did(albeit in an exhibition), and GSU made them pay.

Also shocked that Pastner agreed to this, and I will be very conflicted; in the exhibition game, I just cheered for whoever had the ball!:)

I wasn't sure of State's current quality, but not surprised at all that they'll have a blip at most before continuing to be a strong program.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Per AJC ... this is most off the out of conference schedule with dates, less the Big 10 game (likely a road game the M/Tu/W after Thanksgiving if dates remain as in the past). Counting the 'not listed' Big 10 game - that makes 10 out of conference games ... likely room to add one more.

ACC games, from other publications - I would assume 2 (likely one home and one away), will be played before January, but not to start the season.
Four P5 teams - Georgia, Kentucky, Stanford, and TBD Big 10 team so far listed.

Georgia Tech’s non-conference schedule for the pending season includes games on Nov. 12 against Mount St. Mary’s; Nov. 16 against James Madison; Nov. 19 against Georgia; Nov. 22 against Longwood; Nov. 17 against Kentucky at State Farm Arena; Dec. 13 against Stanford in Brooklyn, N.Y.; Dec 16 against Georgia State; Dec. 18 against Florida A&M; and Dec. 20 against Delaware State,

Article also confirms no cash changing hands between GT and GA State - each team gets the revenue from their home games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
On a slightly different note, if we go by B1G Tourney seeds to identify the rankings for the ACC/B1G tourney this upcoming season, looks like we would play Iowa as the corresponding #5 seed. Even more interesting is the UNC was the #15 team in the ACC, which means they would sit out the ACC/B1G Challenge. Anyone seeing that happen? Knowing the Tobacco Road Mafia, they'd probably say the seedings for the ACC Tourney are the match-ups, thus us being the team that sits.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

Yeah that exhibition game I think josh o also ended up with a damn hand injury.

Lol posted b4 I saw the other post re the injury.

MISSOURIJACKET

Georgia Tech Fan
Per AJC ... this is most off the out of conference schedule with dates, less the Big 10 game (likely a road game the M/Tu/W after Thanksgiving if dates remain as in the past). Counting the 'not listed' Big 10 game - that makes 10 out of conference games ... likely room to add one more.

ACC games, from other publications - I would assume 2 (likely one home and one away), will be played before January, but not to start the season.
Four P5 teams - Georgia, Kentucky, Stanford, and TBD Big 10 team so far listed.

Georgia Tech’s non-conference schedule for the pending season includes games on Nov. 12 against Mount St. Mary’s; Nov. 16 against James Madison; Nov. 19 against Georgia; Nov. 22 against Longwood; Nov. 17 against Kentucky at State Farm Arena; Dec. 13 against Stanford in Brooklyn, N.Y.; Dec 16 against Georgia State; Dec. 18 against Florida A&M; and Dec. 20 against Delaware State,

Article also confirms no cash changing hands between GT and GA State - each team gets the revenue from their home games.
Generally Pastner likes to schedule a non conference game in the middle of the conference season when they will get a week of between conference games.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
Yikes...I'm worried about that. UAB is not a bad team, and is coached by Andy Kennedy now in a new arena.

Uab will be pretty bad this year, just turned over the entire roster, but andy Kennedy is a big upgrade in terms of coaching and recruiting so they will get tougher over the next 3 years for sure. They are still in their old arena, new stadium is for football in 2021

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Uab will be pretty bad this year, just turned over the entire roster, but andy Kennedy is a big upgrade in terms of coaching and recruiting so they will get tougher over the next 3 years for sure. They are still in their old arena, new stadium is for football in 2021
Agree - I have friend who went to UAB and keeps up with their basketball (has already asked if I want to come over for the game!). He thinks UAB will not be as good as last year, but dangerous. Not an NCAA Tourney team this year, stretch/hoping for NIT if things go right - but is very optimistic about what Kennedy is trying to do. His gut is that GT will be favored on the road, but will not be an easy win.

AJC confirmed what I suspected about this and the GA State games - 2 for 1's so no money changed hands (like it would if UAB just came to Atlanta), and cheap (bus ride, no need for hotel/etc) road game for each team. Article also said GT game at Ga State in 2022 will likely be the first game in their new arena. Pastner basically had a radius to work with (bus ride with no overnight stay distance) he was looking to find someone to play that was a win-win for both schools. No doubt financial considerations came into play with both of these 2 for 1's.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
point holds but i expect they have to spend the night at UAB before the game Generally the way it works