2020-2021 GT Hoops Schedule

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Also, this is as good of a year as any to get top teams on the road, assuming attendance is restricted. Cameron Indoor and John Paul Jones will look and feel a lot different with fewer students and fewer fans.

Conversely it sucks that we won't have a home crowd against those same squads, but it'll still most likely be a quadrant 1 win should we beat Duke or UVA (possibly Florida State) at home.

Following up on the Cameron Indoor home field advantage:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I cannot argue with 6-1 OOC, but 13-7 in the ACC will be a stretch.

It's certainly optimistic but I could see it if I'm wearing gold tinted goggles. I could see it playing out like this (This isn't a prediction just a possible scenario). Bold are the wins.

@FSU
UNC
Wake
@ND
@UL
Pitt

@NCSU
Clemson
@UVA
@Duke
FSU
ND

UVA
@Clemson
BC
@Miami
@VT
Cuse

Duke
@Wake

I think @FSU early is a big chance for being able to steal a big win. They lose a good bit and hopefully we can catch them before they have really had a chance to come together. Otherwise I think the combination of a 4 year starting PG, great overall team experience, and a recent history of strong defense sets us up pretty well to handle the current situation better than most I would guess.

Either way going 13-7 would certainly take breaks going our way. Team staying healthy, one of the bigs stepping up defensively, someone like Usher/Parham/Maxwell/Sturdivant/Moore stepping up to give us a third reliable scoring option on the perimeter. I don't think any of those things individually is all that unlikely. I think what is unlikely is most or all of them falling into place at once, but those types of seasons do happen.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Following up on the Cameron Indoor home field advantage:

The headline of that article strikes me as inaccurate, or at minimum is inconsistent, given what Duke MBB tweeted this a few hours ago i.e., it's only a moratorium on fans to start the season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's certainly optimistic but I could see it if I'm wearing gold tinted goggles. I could see it playing out like this (This isn't a prediction just a possible scenario). Bold are the wins.

@FSU
UNC
Wake
@ND
@UL
Pitt

@NCSU
Clemson
@UVA
@Duke
FSU
ND

UVA
@Clemson
BC
@Miami
@VT
Cuse

Duke
@Wake

I think @FSU early is a big chance for being able to steal a big win. They lose a good bit and hopefully we can catch them before they have really had a chance to come together. Otherwise I think the combination of a 4 year starting PG, great overall team experience, and a recent history of strong defense sets us up pretty well to handle the current situation better than most I would guess.

Either way going 13-7 would certainly take breaks going our way. Team staying healthy, one of the bigs stepping up defensively, someone like Usher/Parham/Maxwell/Sturdivant/Moore stepping up to give us a third reliable scoring option on the perimeter. I don't think any of those things individually is all that unlikely. I think what is unlikely is most or all of them falling into place at once, but those types of seasons do happen.
Your scenario is like a dream come true for me. I would love to see us win three of those seven Top 25 games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The headline of that article strikes me as inaccurate, or at minimum is inconsistent, given what Duke MBB tweeted this a few hours ago i.e., it's only a moratorium on fans to start the season.

The problem Duke has to overcome is that Cameron remains in NC and the current EO is severely limiting indoor events. Maybe they believe that will be loosened some, but it seems that medical people are leaning the other way.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Question for debate (unless someone already knows the answer):

Will the NCAA allow some teams to play home games with fans while others are restricted by Executive Orders in their state?
Tech is planning to allow 100 fans per game, plus some students, along with player families. Visiting teams will get a handful of tickets. As I understand it, some ACC schools are thinking zero fans. All supposed to be announced this week.

slugboy

Staff member

@FSU
UNC
Wake
@ND
@UL
Pitt

@NCSU
Clemson
@UVA
@Duke
FSU
ND

UVA
@Clemson
BC
@Miami
@VT
Cuse

Duke
@Wake

I haven’t gone into the individual matchups, but offhand I’d think our odds are better against Miami, Clemson, and NCST than FSU, UNC, and Louisville.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I sort of think GT goes 5-2, 11-9 - so 16-11 (15-12 wouldn't shock me in the slightest either) heading to the ACC Tourney, That would be somewhat bubbly, though likely on the right side. As i said though, you are likely to see a decent number of teams getting bids with 15-16 wins given the reduced number of games. 16 regular season wins this season is the equivalent of 19-20 regular season wins any other year.

As far as fans it is likely to start with few and go down from there. With the virus cases/positivity/hospitalizations/deaths increasing rapidly i expect them to try to keep as few people in the buildings as possible to keep the season alive. I expect however many fans are allowed at the beginning of the season is likely to be the high point. At least until maybe February.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
This guy is always fun because he's such a GT hater.

Moses should dominant this game. Joe Jones and Jalen Thomas are big bodies in the paint but they don’t play to their size. They also lack touch in the paint...Jones especially. GSU has Eliel Nsosome eligible this year as a transfer from Cincinnati who might be able to help with the toughness down there. Georgia State once again is guard heavy but not as much shooting as previous years. Justin Roberts and Corey Allen can really shoot it from deep but the roster mostly consists of athletic slashers. I’m excited to see JoJo Toppin (uga transfer from Norcross) play on the wing after having to sit out last year. Who knows with Covid but on paper, Tech should win...easily.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1605477789050.png

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Try Fox Sports Go on your tablet or phone. I was able to get Atlanta United soccer games on the app (couldn't watch on TV due to ongoing issues between Sinclair / Fox Sports and pretty much all the MVNOs)