2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Nat'l Seed Watch

Deleted member 2897

I’m surprised, but I can justify that seed. Most of the teams above us in RPI have #100-200 non conference strength of schedules. We could be 47-11 right now if we only played pansies. We went 12-2 this year in weekend series. The only teams we lost to all year were UCLA and at Miami (in a B9 comeback).

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
So I assume this means that if we win the regionals this weekend we host the super-regionals. Is that correct?

Yeah. That’s why it was so important to get Top 8. Radcliff goes from an average hitter to one the most dangerous in our lineup with the wind carrying line drives over the RF wall in the Rusty C. Our entire lineup is so scary. Waddell /Guldberg/McCann are all .400+ OBP. And if you want to pitch around McCann you’ve got the hottest hitter in the conference behind him. And if you want to pitch around him you’ve got Radcliff pulling bombs over RF.

Deleted member 2897

Yeah. That’s why it was so important to get Top 8. Radcliff goes from an average hitter to one the most dangerous in our lineup with the wind carrying line drives over the RF wall in the Rusty C. Our entire lineup is so scary. Waddell /Guldberg/McCann are all .400+ OBP. And if you want to pitch around McCann you’ve got the hottest hitter in the conference behind him. And if you want to pitch around him you’ve got Radcliff pulling bombs over RF.

The last time I looked, 7 of our starters were > 0.400 on base percentage.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any reports on X? {rhetorical}

3 seed is great, but what have we won today or yesterday?

Looking at history, I think we were only seeded higher once, in 2005 (#2). In 2000 we were seeded 3 and 2004 seeded 4th. All three times we lost in the Super Regional.

Of course in 2006 we were seeded 8th and came in 7th in the CWS.

So it's time for Omaha. (Why? Make up your own reason.)

I'm never comfortable, it's like L............ I guess I won't go there in respect for Peanuts allergies on the board.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking at history, I think we were only seeded higher once, in 2005 (#2). In 2000 we were seeded 3 and 2004 seeded 4th. All three times we lost in the Super Regional.

Of course in 2006 we were seeded 8th and came in 7th in the CWS.
History is not with us, and hopefully this team is different. I did spend 12 hours in a car yesterday to watch us get drilled though. It's baseball. Watching GT in Omaha has been on the bucket list since I could not go in 2006. Maybe this is the year. uncheat looked good yesterday. I'm sure Auburn or CC can look the same.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have no expectations since we have obviously lost our (arguably) best starting pitcher to TJ surgery and our Friday starter is still MIA...I have hopes, but no expectations. Frankly, with our depeleted pitching, we would have every reason in the world to NOT make it to Omaha. But I will be there rooting as long as we are in the tournament, including going to Omaha if we make it. My 2006 CWS T-shirt has faded very badly now and I need a new one!

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
History doesn’t have a damn thing to do with this team. Let them make their statement on the field. Hopefully they advance, but not a single person on here had this team projected as an overall 3 seed in preseason. At least wait on misery to happen, before you waller in it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
History doesn’t have a damn thing to do with this team. Let them make their statement on the field. Hopefully they advance, but not a single person on here had this team projected as an overall 3 seed in preseason. At least wait on misery to happen, before you waller in it.
No wallerin' allowed 'round here!

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
D1baseball, in it's analysis of seeding and the regionals, printed a metric suggested by a reader to rank the difficulty of each regional. They took the RPI of the 3 non host teams and combined them. The lowest score representing the toughest for the host to get through. Toughest regional by this theory: Louisville regional with a score of 74. Easiest: Atlanta with 311.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
D1baseball, in it's analysis of seeding and the regionals, printed a metric suggested by a reader to rank the difficulty of each regional. They took the RPI of the 3 non host teams and combined them. The lowest score representing the toughest for the host to get through. Toughest regional by this theory: Louisville regional with a score of 74. Easiest: Atlanta with 311.
Well, that is skewed by Florida A&M which has a terrible RPI I think I read somewhere. That is a very simplistic way of looking at strength of the various regionals.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but Florida A&Ms RPI on its own is 235.

Auburn + Coastal Carolina's RPI combined is 76

Also, idk how they got 74 for the Louisville region...
Illinois St RPI: 26
Indiana RPI:36
UIC RPI: 189

That totals 251

Last edited: