2019 ACC Baseball Tourney

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I know, but they couldn't correct it since it was something not reviewable. As mentioned by @wgardiner3, the HP ump blew that one. I don't know how he didn't hear two different sounds.
The call should have been corrected, didn't need video replay to get it right. Initial call was it hit the bat and was a fair ball when it was obvious by the sound and the player on the ground that it also hit him. This could be confirmed by first and third base umpires. Review showed the ball hit the bat first and then the player. When a batted ball hits a player in the batter's box, it is a foul ball. This was clearly a wrong call against the rules which should have been corrected by umpire consultation. It was a rules violation. Just glad it was of no consequence. Great game by our kids, and special hats off to Gibson and Hughes!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, game time noon. At least it won't be delayed.

In summary for yesterday's game, I think the baseball Gods took revenge on NC State for not honoring the game the night before. I can understand not putting your best pitchers out there (that would be stupid), but not bothering to hit? 1 hit in 7 innings before they were mercy ruled out of the game. Pitiful. Last night against us, NC State left 10 on and only scored twice. The epitome was Gibson walking the first two in the 2nd and NC State not scoring. They probably should have bunted? (shameless trolling).

You can bet I'm going to give my NC State friend trouble about that.

Today's game is a great chance to keep the momentum going. The last year we won an ACC tourney game(2016), we won the tourney. Seems like compelling logic for a win to me.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Today's game is a great chance to keep the momentum going. The last year we won an ACC tourney game(2016), we won the tourney. Seems like compelling logic for a win to me.

Actually....we beat BC in the play-in game in 2016, then lost all 3 pool play games. But we lost to NCST that year in a fluky way, this year there was no fluke vs NCST, so I’m all in on a W today!!

Couple of highlights from last nights postgame interviews:
Q. I want to go back to the senior class for a minute. Michael, I’m curious from your perspective as an under classman how much the leadership of that senior class has meant. Seems like this team has a vibe about it right now. How much comes from those guys in that senior class?
MICHAEL GULDBERG: A lot of it. The leadership on this team is really, really good, all the young guys, myself, the freshmen, we look up to them. There’s a lot of energy and we’re just having a great time.

Q. Jonathan and Michael, what would it mean to win it all and be the ACC Champions?
JONATHAN HUGHES: Well, it’s been a long time running, four years has been a long time. Like he said, the senior class hasn’t won a game here at all. Every single time we go back disappointed, but I think this group of guys just really came together and worked hard, and we don’t want to end it here. We didn’t want to end it.

We want to keep playing, so Tristin preached early in the game, right before the game was saying, hey, we’re only guaranteed next game, let’s play and get another one. We want to play with each other. This is a great group of guys, we want to keep going, so I think that that means a lot.

MICHAEL GULDBERG: I mean, just exactly what he said there, you know, the more games we win, the more we get to play together and we’re just thrilled to be playing together.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
The call should have been corrected, didn't need video replay to get it right. Initial call was it hit the bat and was a fair ball when it was obvious by the sound and the player on the ground that it also hit him. This could be confirmed by first and third base umpires. Review showed the ball hit the bat first and then the player. When a batted ball hits a player in the batter's box, it is a foul ball. This was clearly a wrong call against the rules which should have been corrected by umpire consultation. It was a rules violation. Just glad it was of no consequence. Great game by our kids, and special hats off to Gibson and Hughes!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Then my TV lied to me. The ball hit the helmet first, then the bat, then the helmet a second time. Several of my friends saw the same thing.

LibertyTurns

Banned
A huge shout out to Gibson and Hughes! 2 guys that some on here said should never take the mound again, just think about that. GO JACKETS
Not defending the attacks which have been apologized for already, but you haven’t been a GT fan long if you haven’t said to yourself no not him or please take the walk & don’t swing, etc followed by a no, no, no, no, no, YESSSSS!!! YESSSSS!!! YESSSSS!!!

Eating a huge slab of crow is one of being a GT fan’s greatest pleasures.

I for one was rooting for Hughes to be put in. I in no way expected 5 fantastic innings, but yesterday just felt like the right time for Hughes.

I said earlier in the year this Team was special because they know how to win. They just have IT and that can take you a long way.

Deleted member 2897

North Carolina played Wednesday, Friday, Saturday just like we did. Not sure what their pitching situation looks like, but I would assume today’s game prediction would be a coin toss. Probably the first team to 8 runs wins.

My caveat to a coin flip prediction is if X is healthy enough to throw some. If Roedig can go 4-5 and X can throw 2-3, I’d give us a higher chance to win.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Don't know about rest of you but I am glad to see a venue change and hope it is someplace that doesn't give such a home field advantage for 4 teams even though WF is 70 miles away and not a huge following. We are playing 2 away games with NCSU and UNC. Swafford will probably try to put it in Greensboro next year to favor UNC. I would favor Charlotte but they are AAA like Durham and can no longer block out part of their minor league schedule. Guess it about attendance but it does favor the local teams a lot.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Don't know about rest of you but I am glad to see a venue change and hope it is someplace that doesn't give such a home field advantage for 4 teams even though WF is 70 miles away and not a huge following. We are playing 2 away games with NCSU and UNC. Swafford will probably try to put it in Greensboro next year to favor UNC. I would favor Charlotte but they are AAA like Durham and can no longer block out part of their minor league schedule. Guess it about attendance but it does favor the local teams a lot.
My hunch is you are correct.... Geensboro in NC. Or Greenville or Myrtle Beach in SC.... insert Clemson home advantage. ...but closer to Atlanta. Maybe Jacksonville in FL. Will be interesting.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Don’t forget Duke. Every single game with meaning in the tournament for us has been as the “home” team against a NC school that packs the stands. Huge disadvantage and shows just how good this team is.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Don’t forget Duke. Every single game with meaning in the tournament for us has been as the “home” team against a NC school that packs the stands. Huge disadvantage and shows just how good this team is.
Home field advantage only works until the home team gets kicked in the nutsack. At that point the oxygen goes out of the stadium and the home team suffocates.

GT22

Georgia Tech Fan
Living in NC and being envious of the ones that get to go to the Rusty C, I am biased in enjoying the tournament in Greensboro or Durham. But I fully understand the point of the home field advantage. Will be a lot more crowded today than when they won in Greensboro against Maryland. Hopefully just a lot more disappointed fans leaving the stadium this time! Go Jackets!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
My hunch is you are correct.... Geensboro in NC. Or Greenville or Myrtle Beach in SC.... insert Clemson home advantage. ...but closer to Atlanta. Maybe Jacksonville in FL. Will be interesting.
I would like Greenville. Would definitely be close enough to have a good number of Tech fans there.