2018 Off Season Thread

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Looks like UGA finally admitting it :D they’re trash lol.
FE0628C1-F915-4958-9F95-494D35D3920D.png

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just saw this again today and thought I'd share it one more time. It never gets old. Funny how one of the greatest moments in recent GT football history came out of such a dismal season. Goes to show why you just never give up, now matter how bad it gets. A miracle can happen when least expected.

What a great finish. But weren't the coaches yelling from the sideline for him to just lay down on the ball? I think I read that. Don't know if it's true, but IMO you ALWAYS scoop and run back blocked kicks because aren't you essentially running against 9 offensive linemen, a holder, and a kicker? You have a really good shot at going all the way. Lance Austin.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What a great finish. But weren't the coaches yelling from the sideline for him to just lay down on the ball? I think I read that. Don't know if it's true, but IMO you ALWAYS scoop and run back blocked kicks because aren't you essentially running against 9 offensive linemen, a holder, and a kicker? You have a really good shot at going all the way. Lance Austin.
As soon as he touches it, it's a live ball that can be advanced by the kicking team. If he leaves it alone, they can't, is that right?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
As soon as he touches it, it's a live ball that can be advanced by the kicking team. If he leaves it alone, they can't, is that right?
Correct. Here's what can happen...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000146424/Leon-Lett-snow-folly

Lance didn't have anyone around him when he scooped up the ball, so in that situation it's perfect...but the offense gets a first down if you touch the ball and then they recover it. Could have led to us losing after a blocked kick...

...but it didn't, and FSU still hasn't won in BDS since 2002. There was a time when I thought we'd never beat those guys, yet we're 3-2 against them under CPJ. 2014 would have been nice...

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just saw this again today and thought I'd share it one more time. It never gets old. Funny how one of the greatest moments in recent GT football history came out of such a dismal season. Goes to show why you just never give up, now matter how bad it gets. A miracle can happen when least expected.

I STILL GET CHILLS & TEARS!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Yes, but the upside potential is great, and the downside potential is small. One should just about always scoop it in this situation because of the great advantage of running it back against a bunch of offensive lineman, IMO.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Correct. Here's what can happen...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000146424/Leon-Lett-snow-folly

Lance didn't have anyone around him when he scooped up the ball, so in that situation it's perfect...but the offense gets a first down if you touch the ball and then they recover it. Could have led to us losing after a blocked kick...

...but it didn't, and FSU still hasn't won in BDS since 2002. There was a time when I thought we'd never beat those guys, yet we're 3-2 against them under CPJ. 2014 would have been nice...

With six seconds to go, that was an extremely remote possibility.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

True if the ball crosses the LOS. If it does not cross the LOS (after the block) it is treated as a fumble and either team can advance it at first touching.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Even in that horrible season, we still had about 5 losses that we snatched from the jaws of victory in one way or another. We really weren't that far off from being a decent team that year...that FSU game wasn't as surprising as it should have been based on record (the only surprising part was that for once things broke our way).

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Former 5 star recruit Blake Barnett will be the starter for USF who is one of our opponents this year. Doesn't have much to show for his college career up to this point. 19 attempts at Alabama and 5 attempts at Arizona State. On his 3rd school. Lost the starting job everywhere else so hasn't exactly lived up to that 5 star billing