2018 ACC Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
A few teams asserting themselves this weekend. A lot of series complete. I think the Ga Tech @ Pitt & Duke @ FSU games are only conference games left today.

Wake gets road sweep at BC. Same for Louisville at VT. Miami takes road series 2-1 at Clemson.

Duke could get road sweep at FSU today too.

All the more critical we take this one today for our 1st road series win.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
A few teams asserting themselves this weekend. A lot of series complete. I think the Ga Tech @ Pitt & Duke @ FSU games are only conference games left today.

Wake gets road sweep at BC. Same for Louisville at VT. Miami takes road series 2-1 at Clemson.

Duke could get road sweep at FSU today too.

All the more critical we take this one today for our 1st road series win.
Who cares as long as the top 4 are NC schools. :shifty:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Despite "tenuous" indications otherwise after going 5-1 at home v Miami & FSU...
...this team is quite average.

That's 7-2 in 3 home series wins & 2-7 in 3 road series defeats.

The final 4 ACC weekends will be interesting. Can the offensive production pick up enough to keep us in top half of conference? Would be nice.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
FYI... UNC and NC State play tonight (Tues, 4/17) in Durham. The game does NOT count toward any ACC record/standing for either team. Their weekend series scheduled for April 27-29 in Raleigh will be only games that count toward ACC standings.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 Baseball put out their first NCAA projection today. GT is not in it.

Here are the current RPIs of our ACC foes remaining and my guess at wins (rounded to nearest .5 wins)
@UNC 8RPI - .5 wins
Wake 94 RPI - 2 wins
@UVa 114 RPI - 1.5 wins
Duke 22 RPI - 1 win.

Nets out to 5 wins and 7 losses. End up the year -2 below 500 ACC. We really needed to get some more ACC wins this last weekend. I think getting only 1 from Pitt was worse than being swept @ Clemson. Just an opinion.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Here are the current RPIs of our ACC foes remaining and my guess at wins (rounded to nearest .5 wins)
@UNC 8RPI - .5 wins
Wake 94 RPI - 2 wins
@UVa 114 RPI - 1.5 wins
Duke 22 RPI - 1 win.

Nets out to 5 wins and 7 losses. End up the year -2 below 500 ACC. We really needed to get some more ACC wins this last weekend. I think getting only 1 from Pitt was worse than being swept @ Clemson. Just an opinion.
Well... if we're picking worst ACC weekends... I chose both (a tie) Clemson & Pitt.

Your 5-7 finish seems logically computed. Perhaps we're still due for a crazy (undeserving) win... vice loss. Make that a greater than .500 record. I think we're all still unaccustomed to having 3 Grade A weekend starters that can keep opponents at bay for more than half a game. With that... stealing wins is "more" likely.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's no skin of my back.. but Duke's situation is going to be weird should they host. They deserve it if their trajectory continues. However... they play nearly all of their home games at Durham Bulls Athletic Park (DBAP). DBAP is not available the weekend of the regionals (the AAA club is using it). By my count, they will have played only 7 home games on campus by season's end... and only ONE ACC series there. I think the venue has been recently renovated... but there has to be a reason they choose to play off-campus at the AAA facility when able.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This projection has 7 ACC teams in the field. I have to believe that will be the number barring any crazy underdog winning ACC title AND not simply replacing the 7th place ACC team. So.. top half of conference is the goal. Currently... there is a clogged up "middle" of ACC:

WF (10-8) - OUT in this projection
GT (9-9) - IN
MIA (9-9) - OUT
LOU (9-9) - IN
FSU (8-9) - IN
PITT (8-10) - OUT

These 4 teams are already comfortably in NCAA field (barring some colossal fall): NCST, DUKE, UNC, CLEM. Leaves 3 of the 6 above to get to top half of ACC...preferably at or above .500.

Ga Tech needs to stay ahead of Pitt and Miami and pass Wake Forest. Also would be nice for Clemson and NC State to win most of their remaining games...after losing both series to them.. it does us no good for them to lose... and they play several teams Ga Tech needs to separate from or catch.

Louisville will be fine. They are good and with their easy schedule ahead, should easily ascend to 4th or 5th in the conference.

Miami has a pretty easy schedule going forward. Ga Tech swept them (owns 2-team tiebreaker with them). Good.

Wake's RPI remains low compared to their standing in the ACC. Wakes remaining schedule is pretty tough and Ga Tech plays them in 2 weeks at Russ Chandler. Controlling own destiny...that's good.

FSU? Hmmmm.. they have a more difficult schedule ahead. Assuming they don't struggle @BC this weekend (Wake didn't last weekend)... they should be fine.. plus they are FSU and will take a lot of failure to NOT get into NCAA tournament. However, if they are still below .500 after this weekend, they are looking ahead to 6 of 9 remaining games against Clemson and NC State...making for an interesting decision for committee if FSU is 8th in ACC at say a 13-16 (or 14-15) ACC record.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

@UNC 8RPI - .5 wins
Wake 94 RPI - 2 wins
@UVa 114 RPI - 1.5 wins
Duke 22 RPI - 1 win.

I think we either “get right” (loosely defined as good starting pitching continues & we return to better offense, especially with RISP) or we completely collapse. I don’t think there will be an in between where we are 6-6 the rest of the way and wringing our hands about if we get in.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we either “get right” (loosely defined as good starting pitching continues & we return to better offense, especially with RISP) or we completely collapse. I don’t think there will be an in between where we are 6-6 the rest of the way and wringing our hands about if we get in.

I don't know. I could see us muddling through in ACC play but losing a couple to low RPI teams (KSU, Radford, UVa/WF), giving us a near-.500 ACC record but RPI in the low 40s-50s. I don't think the strength of the ACC would be enough this year to get us in at that point.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Week 7 should be a good weekend of ACC play. Lots of series can swing things in Tech's favor. There's a flip side to that...though.

GT (9-9) @ UNC (12-6) - Tech winning solves the "problem" of relying on other teams. Just win.
NCST (13-5) @ DUKE (12-5) - Division leaders match up. Should be interesting. Go Pack!
CLEM (11-7) @ WF (10-8) - Would be nice for WF to arrive in Atlanta next weekend in a spot where Tech can pass or extend lead on them in standings. Go Tigers!
PITT (8-10) @ MIA (9-9) - 3 wins & 3 losses to distribute here. Can't think of an ideal outcome without knowing future outcomes.
UVA (7-11) @ LOU (9-9) - I've punted on hopes of out-running Louisville in standings. Their remaining schedule is way too easy. I have a hard time pulling FOR them & a hard time pulling against UVA (just my problem)... But Ga Tech needs UVA to be out of confidence in a few weeks when we travel up there. So... with nose held... Go Cards!
FSU (8-9) @ BC (5-13) - Need BC to keep FSU behind us. Go Eagles!
VT (6-12) @ ND (6-12) - If either of these teams factors into Ga Tech's position in conference, something bad has happened. Go Whoever!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Week 7 should be a good weekend of ACC play. Lots of series can swing things in Tech's favor. There's a flip side to that...though.

GT (9-9) @ UNC (12-6) - Tech winning solves the "problem" of relying on other teams. Just win.
NCST (13-5) @ DUKE (12-5) - Division leaders match up. Should be interesting. Go Pack!
CLEM (11-7) @ WF (10-8) - Would be nice for WF to arrive in Atlanta next weekend in a spot where Tech can pass or extend lead on them in standings. Go Tigers!
PITT (8-10) @ MIA (9-9) - 3 wins & 3 losses to distribute here. Can't think of an ideal outcome without knowing future outcomes.
UVA (7-11) @ LOU (9-9) - I've punted on hopes of out-running Louisville in standings. Their remaining schedule is way too easy. I have a hard time pulling FOR them & a hard time pulling against UVA (just my problem)... But Ga Tech needs UVA to be out of confidence in a few weeks when we travel up there. So... with nose held... Go Cards!
FSU (8-9) @ BC (5-13) - Need BC to keep FSU behind us. Go Eagles!
VT (6-12) @ ND (6-12) - If either of these teams factors into Ga Tech's position in conference, something bad has happened. Go Whoever!
I would rather have Miami win 2/3 since we have the tiebreaker over them.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Clem 7 WF 5 (Prefer Clem sweep)
FSU 13 BC 12 (Prefer BC win next 2)
NCST 9 Duke 2 (Prefer NCST sweep)
Lville 5 UVA 4 (Prefer UL sweep)
VT 9 ND 1 (split next 2 or VT sweep?)
Pitt 2 Miami 1 (Prefer MIA win next 2)
UNC 9 GT 3 (take a guess (y))

NCST 14-5
UNC 13-6
Duke 12-6
Clem 12-7
Lville 10-9
WF 10-9
FSU 9-9
Pitt 9-10
GT 9-10
Miami 9-10
UVA 7-12
VT 7-12
————— Bottom 2 don’t make ACCT
ND 6-13
BC 5-14

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
I know this may make me the worst kind of fan ...... IF we had missed the ACC Tour. last season we would not have had a losing season for the first time in near 40 years. Back to back losing seasons would have been unthinkable just a short while ago. While I don't think it's probable, it is possible that we find our self in the same type of ....................Amazing how we are 5 games above .500 at this point, and I'm still sweating a winning season.