2018 ACC Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can anyone with a subscription give a summary of what they wrote?

I have a free subscription which anyone can get by giving e-mail address. Summary:

• We did bad last year, uncharacteristically in fielding and situational hitting. Also lots of injuries. So we are practicing differently......
  • Going to more "situational" baseball. (So those who don't like bunting aren't going to be happy. I don't give a **** if we win.)
  • Carter Hall is fast again. Didn't say it but implied he could be lead off man.
  • Hall says English could be the #1 starter this year. But a lot depends on his rehab. (Some coach speak maybe?)
  • Hughes is coming back in his second year since surgery. 91 mph fastball in the fall. Hughes has good breaking ball, change-up and now maybe fastball coming back.
  • Put Curry to bullpen as reliever would allow Curry to be infielder.
  • Datoc is potential bull pen too along with Carpenter and Winborne.
  • Hurter and Chapman may do some relief and Hall hopes they won't be forced to start this year. GIbosn, Lee and Ben S may start some.
  • Kel was a disappointment hitting last year ..... had shoulder surgery this summer. But he needs to be more "consistent". (LOL not strike out so much!

I have a free subscription which anyone can get by giving e-mail address. Summary:

• We did bad last year, uncharacteristically in fielding and situational hitting. Also lots of injuries. So we are practicing differently......
  • Going to more "situational" baseball. (So those who don't like bunting aren't going to be happy. I don't give a **** if we win.)
  • Carter Hall is fast again. Didn't say it but implied he could be lead off man.
  • Hall says English could be the #1 starter this year. But a lot depends on his rehab. (Some coach speak maybe?)
  • Hughes is coming back in his second year since surgery. 91 mph fastball in the fall. Hughes has good breaking ball, change-up and now maybe fastball coming back.
  • Put Curry to bullpen as reliever would allow Curry to be infielder.
  • Datoc is potential bull pen too along with Carpenter and Winborne.
  • Hurter and Chapman may do some relief and Hall hopes they won't be forced to start this year. GIbosn, Lee and Ben S may start some.
  • Kel was a disappointment hitting last year ..... had shoulder surgery this summer. But he needs to be more "consistent". (LOL not strike out so much!
I have officially gone to prove it mode. Danny has tricked me one too many times. Tech baseball and Braves baseball get me every year. Yes I know insanity is doing the same the thing over and expecting different results. Call me crazy.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

How about Duke!? Perhaps an ACC snub from D1 Baseball? Leaving NC State and Miami out of the top 25. Goes to show...(IMO), these kinds of polls (pre-season) are not very scientific. Science is overrated anyway. ;)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you are correct on WF probably being down from last year. One team that is expected to be much better though is Duke. So in my mind, those kind of offset for us. I think we went 2-4 against those two last year.

UNC should be down from last year, but very rarely is UNC ever really “down”. Same can be said for Louisville.

FSU should be the cream of the crop based on what they have coming back.
This @RoosterJacket quote was from another thread... but he gets credit (I could not recall exactly who when I posted a few minutes ago)... credit for previously alerting me/us to Duke's favor among pollsters coming into 2018. I'll trade Duke improved for Miami scuffling. We shall see.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2018-conference-previews-acc/
They project 9 ACC teams to post-season:
Atlantic
FSU
CLEM
LOU
NCST
WF

Coastal
UVA
UNC
DUKE
MIAMI

If my memory serves on all the prognosticators... there is some debate on Miami, Wake, Duke & maybe NCST. Those 4 teams have a lot of variation in their respective predicted seasons. So... I'm comfortable saying 8-9 ACC teams will go. ...& Ga Tech is right in the mix.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Virginia starting outfielder Cameron Simmons (Royersford, Pa.) has a left shoulder injury that will require season-ending surgery.

A second team All-ACC selection as a sophomore, Simmons started all but three games for the Cavaliers in 2017. He was second on the team and fourth in the ACC with a .352 batting average. He compiled 14 doubles, nine home runs and drove in 57 runs for Virginia last season. In conference play, he hit .374, tops on the team and the third highest average in the league.