2018-19 Preseason Thread

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I think the rotation to open the season looks something like this.
Jose/Devoe
Shembari/ Devoe
CGB/Alston
Cole/Wright
Gueye/Cole

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that starting lineup seems pretty likely to start the year. Once Devoe gets back up to 100% I expect him to start and either CGB or Shembari move to come off the bench,

There have been reports that Moore has been a pleasant surprise in practices so it will be interesting to see if he can get onto the court as a backup.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I've seen, Ves' issue has been much more on the defensive end. He doesn't have very quick feet and has trouble defending the post. If he can't play D and run the floor, he's not going to get many minutes.

I'd love to be surprised by Reveno's work with another post project, but I'm not expecting a ton from Ves this year.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
There have been reports that Moore has been a pleasant surprise in practices so it will be interesting to see if he can get onto the court as a backup.

At the 6 minute mark of the impromptu press conference, CJP talks about waiting until Saturday to decide if he's going to redshirt any of the freshmen. Devoe isn't getting redshirted and it sounds like Moore isn't getting redshirted. That leaves Sjolund on the bubble, doesn't it?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You can redshirt anyone with eligibility remaining.
Sjolund would be the most obvious candidate IF anyone is to be redshirted.
But that assumes a lot and who knows where Cole, Wright, Moore, etc. are in their development.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm getting the vibe Sjolund will be a contributor this year. I didn't anticipate that at all.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
He has really good form on his shot. I question whether he is strong enough yet for the rigors of the ACC season. Do we redshirt him or let him play as a situational 3 pt shooter? I see that as the question.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He has really good form on his shot. I question whether he is strong enough yet for the rigors of the ACC season. Do we redshirt him or let him play as a situational 3 pt shooter? I see that as the question.

I liked a lot of what I saw. I was less enthused by the fact I thought he was gonna fall flat on his *** on defense at any given moment.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I tend to think the team will have a role for not only players who have the ability to shoot, but payers who have a scorer's mentality. Gt has been plagued in recent years by a collective offensive reluctance.

Three guys who are being mentioned as important shooters for GT: Phillips, Haywood and Alston took a combined total of 17 field goal attempts in 64 minutes played in the scrimmage. Sjolund took 11 shots in 17 minutes.

He may be a defensive liability at the moment, but I can foresee end of game and end of half situations where situational substitutions might dictate that Sjolund be on the floor. That is based on very limited data, to say the least, but I tend to think the team will need players who want the rock.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
As a conceptual comment, zone defenses are made to hide defensive liabilities. Can't hide all 5 but one or even two is possible.

I didn't see him or the game, but one option would be the top of our 1-3-1 zone.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I tend to think the team will have a role for not only players who have the ability to shoot, but payers who have a scorer's mentality. Gt has been plagued in recent years by a collective offensive reluctance.

Three guys who are being mentioned as important shooters for GT: Phillips, Haywood and Alston took a combined total of 17 field goal attempts in 64 minutes played in the scrimmage. Sjolund took 11 shots in 17 minutes.

He may be a defensive liability at the moment, but I can foresee end of game and end of half situations where situational substitutions might dictate that Sjolund be on the floor. That is based on very limited data, to say the least, but I tend to think the team will need players who want the rock.
Good to see your handle here, Wasp. I’ve missed your commentary on bb.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I just saw the stats.Looks like some decent defense.Shooting is a problem and our hoped for "shooters"--Haywood and Phillips didn't show up much it seems.otoh--the true FR added a bunch to the party.
Maybe we'll come in waves.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Look no further than the end of the first half last night.

They ran a set play for him and he got a wide open, beautiful look at a three.

Good to see someone confident in their shot again!