2018-19 Preseason Thread

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thought I’d create a new thread to shift focus toward the upcoming hoops season. I posted this on a different site and paste here to get the discussion going...

I think that we have potential to be a solid team IF everyone meets their potential. We should be a much better 3pt shooting team this year, and that will carry us a long way. I suspect that we will see Evan Cole take a big step forward, and Shembari will be a pleasant surprise for us as well.

That said, I feel like we may come out of the gates a little slower than we had hoped. This is just based on yesterday's media session, and the fact that we seemed to have been bitten by the injury bug.

Several key guys have missed time due to injuries - some more than others (Devoe) - but there was a long list of people on the mend. That can have affect on our identify and how we gel. Hopefully we can get everyone back healthy and playing together so that guys can begin to find their role before Northwestern on 11/28. Unfortunately, I suspect that we will get shellacked by Tennessee, but otherwise, the schedule is manageable until we reach NW

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I agree we could be pretty good if everyone meets their potential. The issue is we have little margin for error. Looking at the roster we have the following, with what I suspect might be the starting lineup.

pg - Jose / Shembari
sg - Devoe/ Alston
SF - Haywood / Moore/Sjolund
PF - Wright / Cole
C - Gueye/Ogbonda

While that looks like okay depth I think realistically Alston on plays when we try to steal minutes if things are going well. I think we'll always try to have two of Jose/Devoe/Phillips in. Similar with Ogbonda. I think we try to have two of Guye/Wright/Cole in at all time. I also doubt that both Moore and Sjolund will be significant contributors. I could see one or the other but I doubt both will. So I think we'll see primarily an 8 man rotation.

All in all I think offensively we will really rely on Jose/Devoe/Haywood to carry us with occasional games where Gueye has a nice match up we can exploit. I think Shembari is a decent addition from a ballhandling and defensive aspect but based on his time at Tenn I wouldn't expect much in the scoring department. He was an okay 3 point shooter %wise but on very low attempts per game. I think the big chance for a surprise is either Wright or Cole. IMO Wright is a little more likely because I think his defense and rebounding will be needed to help cover for the loss of Lammers, as much as it can at least. I also think that with more ball handlers we'll be a bit more uptempo which fits him a little bit more. Overall I think there is the buildings of a nice team but the suggested 8 man rotation features 2 freshmen and 4 sophs with only Gueye and Phillips providing experience. It really sucks to not have Okogie because I think we'd have a good shot at making the NCAAT with him.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Will be very interested to see how much we push the tempo and spread the floor. If we get into a half court slow tempo game, we're not playing to our strengths. We had to do it the last two years due to Ben (and Q). This year, I hope we push tempo and extend our D to 3/4 court most of the game. We may get blown out by the big boys, but it will be more entertaining than the Syracuse game last year and should help with attendance & recruiting

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While that looks like okay depth I think realistically Alston on plays when we try to steal minutes if things are going well. I think we'll always try to have two of Jose/Devoe/Phillips in.

Good stuff - I think that this is about the only item I disagree with you on. Personally, I think that Alston is going to be a big part of the rotation. He flashed a few times last year, and he’s an older guy that’s been there before. I’m not saying he’s instant offense, but he’s got the ability to score, and we’re going to need help in that area the most. I think the key is him doing a better job of picking his spots and not forcing the action!

Regarding Moore/Sjolund, I think that this is one of the areas I’m most excited to watch. I’m not expecting much from Sjolund, but I think Khalid could surprise some of us. These two (along with Moses) have the most upside. Get some unexpected offensive production from one of these three and some help on the boards, and we could surprise people.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff - I think that this is about the only item I disagree with you on. Personally, I think that Alston is going to be a big part of the rotation. He flashed a few times last year, and he’s an older guy that’s been there before. I’m not saying he’s instant offense, but he’s got the ability to score, and we’re going to need help in that area the most. I think the key is him doing a better job of picking his spots and not forcing the action!

Regarding Moore/Sjolund, I think that this is one of the areas I’m most excited to watch. I’m not expecting much from Sjolund, but I think Khalid could surprise some of us. These two (along with Moses) have the most upside. Get some unexpected offensive production from one of these three and some help on the boards, and we could surprise people.

I am with lv. I don't think Alston plays much. The other 3 guards will split the 2 slots and eat up all of the minutes.

Alston is over-matched in league play. He can't guard ACC guards. He may play some at the 3 if we go small, which I'd like to see us show.

I am expecting us to play a completely different style. The problem with that is we lost an elite defender and I'm not sure we have an average defender among the bigs. The coaches are going to earn their pay figuring out the defense this year.

bos

Helluva Engineer
I think Alvarado will absolutely turn it up this year and become one of the best PGs in the ACC. Evan Cole received more time down the stretch last year, but if Moses worked on his post game he'll be scary to watch. This is still a very young team and at least one year from competing at a higher level, but I like the direction and I'm excited for a few more wins this year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I don't really think it's accurate to say he has the ability to score as if we can rely even on a once in a blue moon him going off. Early on last year, in the first 3 games, he scored a good bit by getting to the line 23 times in the first 3 games. Unfortunately he only got back to the line 35 more times in the other 29 games. In those games he didn't really score particularly efficiently, as his FG% was pretty bad. I don't think you can really look at those games as a sign of what he can do to help. He did have a couple games of 12 and 13 points against Wake and BC, but those were bad teams, and if we are to try small ball I think it would have to be because Moore and/or Phillips made bigger impacts, not because Alston showed a scoring spark.

The bigger issue is that Alston doesn't really have a strength. Despite being 6-5 he was a very weak rebounder and not an overly strong ball-handler or defender. Not terrible but there is no real strength for him to play to at this level. I think he has a big role in being a mentor to the young guys but I think that is primarily during practice and off the court. But the issue is that where we could really use a steady hand senior is at the 4. Not where guys like Haywood and Devoe are options as well as having Moore and Sjolund on the wing as well.

Now I think in reality he'll play some because guys have issues but I don't see him playing much in ACC play if we do get lucky and things go our way. I think most of his playtime in ACC play, ideally, would be when we are nursing a lead and we have him in there for experience not making terrible plays, and the ability to knock down FTs.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m very optimistic. Have heard great things about Phillips and Devoe is the best shooter we’ve had in awhile. AD has put on some muscle and showed flashes last year. If Jose improves like most from year 1 to 2 we are in for a treat.
This will be first time we can play Pastners style on O which is up tempo and guys that can shoot. We have applied for waiver for Banks and if that gets approved we have a shot at tourney. I think last year was a fluke with injuries, Ron Bell, DLab and more. We should be much more like year 1 but with better athletes and way better shooters.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I’m very optimistic. Have heard great things about Phillips and Devoe is the best shooter we’ve had in awhile. AD has put on some muscle and showed flashes last year. If Jose improves like most from year 1 to 2 we are in for a treat.
This will be first time we can play Pastners style on O which is up tempo and guys that can shoot. We have applied for waiver for Banks and if that gets approved we have a shot at tourney. I think last year was a fluke with injuries, Ron Bell, DLab and more. We should be much more like year 1 but with better athletes and way better shooters.

I’ll give you better shooters but better athletes? Okogies motor is second to none and Jax was a freak. Moses is a good athlete has yet to show he is a good basketball player. I love the shooting but I dunno bout better athletically

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I really hope Devoe can be a reliable scorer. Right now, the only person I see who can get a bucket when we need one is Alvarado. If Devoe is a scorer and a couple of the young guys have seen a lot of growth year-to-year, a Pastner-defense and 70 points should win us a lot of games.

I worry about Devoe's ability to knock down 3 pointers on a Georgia Tech offense. He probably got lots of great looks at his national championship high school team, but now he's going to be facing faster competition and be working with a Georgia Tech offense that isn't known to drive and kick.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am with lv. I don't think Alston plays much. The other 3 guards will split the 2 slots and eat up all of the minutes.

Alston is over-matched in league play. He can't guard ACC guards. He may play some at the 3 if we go small, which I'd like to see us show.

I am expecting us to play a completely different style. The problem with that is we lost an elite defender and I'm not sure we have an average defender among the bigs. The coaches are going to earn their pay figuring out the defense this year.

I'm not gonna go to war for him or anything, but I think that he is a more valuable piece than you guys may be giving him credit for.

He averaged almost 24 mpg last year in 32 games and is one of the most experienced players on the team. I'll be surprised if he plays less this year.

Even with the addition of Devoe and Phillips and return of Curt. It won't surprise me to see him have an expanded role.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not gonna go to war for him or anything, but I think that he is a more valuable piece than you guys may be giving him credit for.

He averaged almost 24 mpg last year in 32 games and is one of the most experienced players on the team. I'll be surprised if he plays less this year.

Even with the addition of Devoe and Phillips and return of Curt. It won't surprise me to see him have an expanded role.

Just from a math perspective I don't see how his minutes stay the same much less go up. Especially when you layer in CJP doesn't really play more than 7 - maybe 8 double digit minutes. He even reiterated that last week. Prior to getting injured Alvarado was >30 min per game. Prior to getting injured Haywood was ~30 min per game. Assuming DeVoe is close to what we think/hope, then he is getting those kind of minutes too. We haven't slotted Phillips minutes yet and I expect they come before Alston.

Prior to Haywood getting hurt, Alston averaged ~16 min against NW/Grambling/TN with Haywood and Alvarado at full speed - and that was without Okogie. IMHO unless DeVoe isn't what we think he is or CJP changes the way he runs his bench with an uptempo system, I don't see how Alston replicates his MPG from last year.

If we look for him when we go small, he is now going to be competing with Moore for minutes and that will be interesting to see.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just from a math perspective I don't see how his minutes stay the same much less go up. Especially when you layer in CJP doesn't really play more than 7 - maybe 8 double digit minutes. He even reiterated that last week. Prior to getting injured Alvarado was >30 min per game. Prior to getting injured Haywood was ~30 min per game. Assuming DeVoe is close to what we think/hope, then he is getting those kind of minutes too. We haven't slotted Phillips minutes yet and I expect they come before Alston.

Prior to Haywood getting hurt, Alston averaged ~16 min against NW/Grambling/TN with Haywood and Alvarado at full speed - and that was without Okogie. IMHO unless DeVoe isn't what we think he is or CJP changes the way he runs his bench with an uptempo system, I don't see how Alston replicates his MPG from last year.

If we look for him when we go small, he is now going to be competing with Moore for minutes and that will be interesting to see.

Time will tell and honestly I don't really care either way as long as we are winning. If I had to place a wager on it, I'd say that it will probably be about the same, maybe slightly less.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I really hope Devoe can be a reliable scorer. Right now, the only person I see who can get a bucket when we need one is Alvarado.

Don’t count out CGB. Between injuries - and even with them at times - he showed flashes of real talent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I think you are overvaluing his experience and underselling how many options we have on the wing this year compared to last.

This year we have Jose, Devoe, Haywood, Phillips, Moore, and Sjolund for the wings and PG.
Last year we had Moore, Haywood, Jose, Okogie, and Tad. The first transferred, the last two missed a lot of time, the 4th missed 8 games to start the year, and the last missed the first 3 games.

Last year he played a lot more just out of necessity. But we basically added 5 other options in the backcourt from where we were at the end of last year losing only two. Of those I'd say 4 are obvious upgrades to him and the other two freshmen have higher upsides. Experience can only overcome so much.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you are overvaluing his experience and underselling how many options we have on the wing this year compared to last.

This year we have Jose, Devoe, Haywood, Phillips, Moore, and Sjolund for the wings and PG.
Last year we had Moore, Haywood, Jose, Okogie, and Tad. The first transferred, the last two missed a lot of time, the 4th missed 8 games to start the year, and the last missed the first 3 games.

Last year he played a lot more just out of necessity. But we basically added 5 other options in the backcourt from where we were at the end of last year losing only two. Of those I'd say 4 are obvious upgrades to him and the other two freshmen have higher upsides. Experience can only overcome so much.

I think that a lot of my feelings are centered around the fact that Moore and Sjolund aren't going to eat into the minutes like many seem to think. For one, Sjolund isn't much of a wing player, my guess is that he is going to complete more with EC and Moses for minutes than the guys mentioned above. Hopefully Khalid does see some minutes, but I'll be shocked if he gets more than 10-12 minutes per game. If so, it means we got a steal.

Also, I doubt that Coach wants Jose playing 40 minutes per game, he will be much better if we can keep him a little fresher. One of the reasons that he played so many minutes last year was out of necessity. We essentially had no back-up PG. With Devoe sliding over to the PG spot, there will be enough minutes available for BA to make an impact.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think that a lot of my feelings are centered around the fact that Moore and Sjolund aren't going to eat into the minutes like many seem to think. For one, Sjolund isn't much of a wing player, my guess is that he is going to complete more with EC and Moses for minutes than the guys mentioned above. Hopefully Khalid does see some minutes, but I'll be shocked if he gets more than 10-12 minutes per game. If so, it means we got a steal.

Also, I doubt that Coach wants Jose playing 40 minutes per game, he will be much better if we can keep him a little fresher. One of the reasons that he played so many minutes last year was out of necessity. We essentially had no back-up PG. With Devoe sliding over to the PG spot, there will be enough minutes available for BA to make an impact.

When Jose sits I think Phillips will be the one who comes in due to better ball handling and defense. In general I think that most of the minutes you are seeing Alston as getting are more likely to go to Phillips. Phillips had a reputation as a great defender and from what I have seen shows more ball skills than Alston. I think he will get almost all the minutes when Jose or Devoe are sitting.

That leaves Alston fighting it out for minutes at the 3 spot where I would think Haywood would pretty much have it locked down. Even if it's just Alston competing with the fr at the 3 spot for back up minutes I don't really see what advantage he brings. A big issue is that he's just a real weak rebounder, an average at best defender, and a too passive offensive player. Other role players would have things like "can come in as a lock down defender " or "can provide another reliable shooter" or "can really get after the boards". Alston doesn't have anything like that and I think the argument that he has "experience" is basically just "he's 23".

I think his skillset of being a guy who is less likely to make mistakes and can hit his FTs means he'll be used in end game situations. I'm sure he'll get some burn when things go wrong, like foul trouble/injuries/etc, but in general I just don't see him getting much time come ACC play once Sjolund and Moore have a chance to settle in and the staff can figure out the best way to take advantage of what they offer.