2018-19 Preseason Thread

slugboy

Staff member
Re: Alston
Maybe we play more 3 guard sets this year. Devoe is still recovering. Maybe we need to rest players more this year.
There could be reasons he plays more.
I don’t know how much he’s going to play. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a good number of minutes. I won’t know what to expect until we get a few games in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it to the exhibition game on Saturday evening against Florida Tech.

Anyone interested in a couple of tickets?

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Want to start off saying that we definitely have a sleeper team this year. I went to NC State's Exhibition Monday night and from what I saw I am feeling quite confident in our potential coming into the season. Here is my Lineup:

Jose/Devoe
Phillips/Alston
Haywood/Moore
Wright/Cole/Sjolund
Gueye/Wright

As the season progresses I am willing to bet money that Wright will replace Gueye at the 5 and Cole at the 4 before conference play.
We have the ability to play uptempo ball at all 5 spots without sacrificing length. From what I saw of the NC State exhibition, they were able to play uptempo but only with 4 guards and a big.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Who is this masked man that can play both the 5 and 4 spot at the same time. The legend of Moses continues :cool:

MiracleWhips believes in just a couple of things:

- Ron Bell's stories
-Moses as the next Elvin Hayes

Let's hope the second is closer to the truth than the first.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Want to start off saying that we definitely have a sleeper team this year. I went to NC State's Exhibition Monday night and from what I saw I am feeling quite confident in our potential coming into the season. Here is my Lineup:

Jose/Devoe
Phillips/Alston
Haywood/Moore
Wright/Cole/Sjolund
Gueye/Wright

As the season progresses I am willing to bet money that Wright will replace Gueye at the 5 and Cole at the 4 before conference play.
We have the ability to play uptempo ball at all 5 spots without sacrificing length. From what I saw of the NC State exhibition, they were able to play uptempo but only with 4 guards and a big.

Pretty good look, but I think any discussion of positions will be beside the point, not least because we definitely (imo) won't have the same guy playing the 5 on both O and D.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd be shocked to see Moses playing 5 much. He is by far the worst of our bigs in terms of the 5 spot. He has absolutely no post game at all and looks very uncomfortable there. I remember watching warm-ups of the bigs multiple times last season with Reveno and it was really obvious that Wright plays best as a face up player.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be shocked to see Moses playing 5 much. He is by far the worst of our bigs in terms of the 5 spot. He has absolutely no post game at all and looks very uncomfortable there. I remember watching warm-ups of the bigs multiple times last season with Reveno and it was really obvious that Wright plays best as a face up player.

Red, who do you see playing the 5 besides Gueye? I guess Cole. Or is Ogbonda finally ready to be used?

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
5 does not have to play back to the basket. I would even say its possible that we see 5 out this year

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
5 does not have to play back to the basket. I would even say its possible that we see 5 out this year

I actually agree with you - but would add that in the case of running 5 out you really don't have a 5 in the classic sense of 1-5. From what I am hearing I expect we run a lot of "open" offensive sets. The question will be defense and I expect if AD is not in the game we will run a lot of zone to try and hide either Moses or Cole on the defensive end. Neither of them could handle say a Jack Salt or a Bolden or Zion Williamson man to man.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually agree with you - but would add that in the case of running 5 out you really don't have a 5 in the classic sense of 1-5. From what I am hearing I expect we run a lot of "open" offensive sets. The question will be defense and I expect if AD is not in the game we will run a lot of zone to try and hide either Moses or Cole on the defensive end. Neither of them could handle say a Jack Salt or a Bolden or Zion Williamson man to man.
Moses held more than his own in both of those games. Against Jack Salt and Bolden/Wendell Carter. I guess what I was trying to say was that from a defensive perspective he is the best eligible 5 we have

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Red, who do you see playing the 5 besides Gueye? I guess Cole. Or is Ogbonda finally ready to be used?
In a couple of preseason interviews, CJP has mentioned Ves several times. Said that he definitely HAD to play this year and that his shooting was much improved. Now all this could have been a tease or a 'good intention' that CJP doesn't follow through on under live game conditions, but I think given AB's proclivities to pick up fouls methinks we'll see a lot more of Ves this season especially if he plays reasonably well in November/December in the non-conference games.