2017 Spring Practice

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Being totally honest with ourselves. In the decade paul has been here when truly has the O been the single issue? I guess 2015. But you go back and look at those stats and its still not awful.

Flat out. The issue is D. We have players who play smart and are in the right areas just simply too slow. Or we have players that are fine athletically and in a disadvantaged scheme for their position. I hope the good lord blesses us with something worth a spit to help (either coaches wake up in certain aspects, or in others a player makes a big jump)
I agree the offense has not been the problem . But with Matthew at QB I see our TD drives being 10-12 long this year which will eat some time. This should help the defense this year. I can see our OL wearing down the defense and us getting 5 to 6 down marching down the field .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the idea that he can't throw comes entirely from the announcer in the VT game which is all most people know of his passing. He threw one bad pass, which for all we know was the reciever's fault and the announcer who I'm sure has never seen him play immediately started the narrative: "option QB, can't throw"

We don't really know much about MJ passing in games since he only has 18 attempts in 2 years. But his ~155 QPR is better than JT had some years...... :censored: http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/player/255/1063099/index.html

I think the potential is definitely there for MJ to be a better passer than JT. Just need a strong OL and BB and there will always be open receivers.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We don't really know much about MJ passing in games since he only has 18 attempts in 2 years. But his ~155 QPR is better than JT had some years...... :censored: http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/player/255/1063099/index.html

I think the potential is definitely there for MJ to be a better passer than JT. Just need a strong OL and BB and there will always be open receivers.

For grins I went back and looked at his recruiting thread comments. It's amazing how many posters were enamored with his throwing ability as a recruit. I think he'll be fine slinging the rock...

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
Nate Cottrell had a cryptic tweet. "I wish God could sit down right next to me and tell me why things happen the way that they do, and tell me what his plan is for me."

While I've wished the same thing at times please tell me this isn't injury related.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree the offense has not been the problem . But with Matthew at QB I see our TD drives being 10-12 long this year which will eat some time. This should help the defense this year. I can see our OL wearing down the defense and us getting 5 to 6 down marching down the field .

Ok. Well. We have dominated in TOP many times in the past 10 years. When has it helped the D? Go look at 2014. We dominated in top iirc and 3rd down conversion which means our O was on the field alot. D was one of the worst in tech history...almost dead last in efficiency.

I hear what you are saying. Our issues on D go beyond talent and TOP. but of course again I will be proven right this year and folks will say 5 years isnt enough to turn a D around ugh.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
GT has brought in a series of quick/athletic, nasty, badger type linemen in recent years. It's starting to remind me of the Nebraska lines of the mid 90's, where everybody was 285/290 and could MOVE and hit. Not a bunch of fatbodies playing grabass out there.

So that's what Bama's line is ?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Nate Cottrell had a cryptic tweet. "I wish God could sit down right next to me and tell me why things happen the way that they do, and tell me what his plan is for me."

While I've wished the same thing at times please tell me this isn't injury related.
Read his tweets. It's a girl, I'd bet money.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok. Well. We have dominated in TOP many times in the past 10 years. When has it helped the D? Go look at 2014. We dominated in top iirc and 3rd down conversion which means our O was on the field alot. D was one of the worst in tech history...almost dead last in efficiency.

I hear what you are saying. Our issues on D go beyond talent and TOP. but of course again I will be proven right this year and folks will say 5 years isnt enough to turn a D around ugh.
Same lame argument over and over. These schools allowed more points per game than GT last year:
FSU
Oklahoma
Penn State
USCw (tie)
Tennessee
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M
Pitt
North Carolina
Arkansas
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Boston College
Texas
Notre Dame
UCLA
OREGON
MIZZOU
DUKE
MICHIGAN State

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Same lame argument over and over. These schools allowed more points per game than GT last year:
FSU
Oklahoma
Penn State
USCw (tie)
Tennessee
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M
Pitt
North Carolina
Arkansas
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Boston College
Texas
Notre Dame
UCLA
OREGON
MIZZOU
DUKE
MICHIGAN State

You know points/game is a misleading stat. Smh

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree. PPP is much more telling. Points per possession.
There's a lot of misleading stats so I prefer to let my head coach hire a DC and keep him or fire him as he sees fit. CPJ has shown a definite propensity to do just that so why keep beating that horse. Trust CPJ. If he thinks someone else can do better with the personnel on D then I have every confidence he'll make a change. He always has. Until then give up that lame argument.