2017 Regular Season Predictions

What will be GT's season record on November 30, 2017?

• 12-0

• 11-1

• 10-2

• 9-3

• 8-4

• 7-5

• 6-6

• 5-7

• 4-8

• 3-9

Results are only viewable after voting.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The game that scares me the most the first qtr of the season is @ UCF. That's the ultimate trap game. Reminds me of the trip to Tulane in '14. There place at night and we're a P5 team coming in. I can see them hanging with us until midway through the 3rd and we pull away( A lot like Tulane) Plus it's right before we open ACC play. If we drop the UT game and lose this one we are in a bad spot with league play starting. Especially with 3 straight teams (Pitt, Unc and Miami) who have beaten us 2,3 and 2 years in a row. No, I'm not saying we are going to lose this game but it's not going to be easy.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Poll is up. Time to go on record. What say you?

I am going to say 7-5. The defection of Marcus Marshall and the dismissal of Mills will prove to be a season long problem. I am not convinced we will play better defense. This has the potential to turn into a 2015 debacle if we don't find ways to move the ball. We have, perhaps, the most challenging schedule of the PJ era to boot.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Much more optimistic poll results than in the past. Most are 9-4 and 8-4.

In the past. It would be 7-5. Some 8-4. Some 6-6.

Glad to see the program is starting to raise expectations

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I got us at 8-4. We lose to either UT or UGA
OOC and Miami, Clemson and someone we shouldn't lose to in ACC play.

This. I was split between 7-5 and 6-6. We will probably win one that we "shouldn't" and lose one that we "shouldn't" to tcounteract i.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We were 8-4 last year.

Lost our best BB and only QB with experience.

Lost our FG kicker who was the all time GT scorer.

But we have more depth. The D should be better than 94th of 128.

So 8 wins should be reasonable but challenging till the game is played on the field. After the last few year's change in W/L from year to year, that's really 8 +2/-3 wins.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was between 9-3 and 10-2 so figure hey man am I a fan or a fanatic. Picked 10-2.

I actually think we can manage breaking in the new qb if our OLine stays healthy. I think we are going to be fine at Bb (but obviously wish Mills was still here).

I have a feeling our defense is going to take a big step this year. I think closing out last season like we did will be a shot in the arm and so think they'll come in feeling good. If we get by uTenn with a win we will have the momentum going for the first few games and I think that it can carry us.

That said, any significant injury and we are in mucho trouble. If we get the ball bouncing like we did in 2014 it could be a special season.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I honestly believe that PJ and the coaching staff are getting the program to the point that 8 wins will be considered a down year. I chose 9-3 but I really have a feeling it will be better. The only team on the schedule that I feel is demonstrably better than Tech is Clemson (yes, I will call them by name as defending NCs). Miami, VT and GA are always tough but certainly not SO much better I would pencil them in as automatic losses.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'll take the O-Line for 9-3, Alex. Losses to Miami, Clemson and some inexplicable loss to someone like Wake, Duke or UCF.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Alright going to be hard to live up to my predictions for last season (brag here that I only mixed up Miami and VT) but here we go.

9/4 Tenn - Loss
9/9 JSU - Win
9/16 at UCF - Win
9/23 Pitt - Win
9/30 UNC - Win
BYE
10/12 at Miami - Win
10/21 Wake - Win
10/28 at Clemson - Loss
11/4 at UVA - Win
11/11 VT - Loss
11/18 at Duke - Win
11/25 UGA - Loss

8-4 in regular season again this year 6-2 and 2nd place in coastal

9-3....the schedule is definitely tough but I really think we are starting to build quality depth. I want to believe the D will finally be respectable but Roof has to prove it.
Until we beat Georgia two in a row, and until we beat Georgia in Atlanta, I think you have to call that game almost unwinnable. Many moons since either one of those things have been done. Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Pittsburgh. To get to 9-3 means winning four (or more) of these seven. Pretty tough sledding, IMO.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm going with 7-5. We're going to likely have a brand new QB and for sure a brand new BB. Even if they turn out good there is going to be a period of adjustment. The timings will need to get together, ball security, decision making, and the like. I'd feel much more comfortable if we were playing another cupcake or lower midmajor team rather than UT. Looking at the first 6 games, the only for sure win, as much as there is one at least, is JSU. We should win @UCF but that is no gimme and the 3 ACC teams we play all beat us last year. 1-5 to start the year isn't out of the question and I think 2-4 is a real possibility. That being said, I think we'll probably get one of UT, Miami, UNC, and Pitt and start 3-3, and finish 4-2 once things start to gel.

I keep reading and people saying our schedule is tough. The only addition to it over last year is Tennessee, which one might argue is not any better than Vandy. We play UCF, a 6-6 team last year in CUSA, and an FCS team. As for Crossover, Clemson and Wake and I would argue Wake is less difficult than BC. As for the Coastal, Duke and UVA are about the same, UNC, Pitt, Va Tech are going to be less because they have to replace a lot of their offense. UNC all of it. Miami has to replace their quarterback. Georgia is the same team they have been for the last two years. And as for location, yes we have to go to Clemson, But Va Tech, Pitt and UNC are at home. Why is it more difficult?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vandy versus Tenn - Vandy beat Tenn right - Edge to Tenn due to 6 wins < 9 wins
Jax versus Mercer - Jax wins
UCF versus GSU - GSU on a down year = push
@Miami - Miami harder in Miami
@Clemson - Clemson harder at Clemson
UNC @ GT - Better for GT
WF-BC Push
VT @ GT - Better
Georgia @ GT Better

The @Maimi, @ Clemson, Jax v Mercer, and Tenn versus Vandy.. edge of difficulty to 2017.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I keep reading and people saying our schedule is tough. The only addition to it over last year is Tennessee, which one might argue is not any better than Vandy. We play UCF, a 6-6 team last year in CUSA, and an FCS team. As for Crossover, Clemson and Wake and I would argue Wake is less difficult than BC. As for the Coastal, Duke and UVA are about the same, UNC, Pitt, Va Tech are going to be less because they have to replace a lot of their offense. UNC all of it. Miami has to replace their quarterback. Georgia is the same team they have been for the last two years. And as for location, yes we have to go to Clemson, But Va Tech, Pitt and UNC are at home. Why is it more difficult?

The season strength of schedule is about the same ..... last year was .672 (including the bowl game), this year expected to be .664 (no bowl game). http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2017.htm