2017 Offseason Thread

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Since this is the off then I guess anything is appropriate. Another mutt was arrested last night.
http://www.11alive.com/sports/footb...est-to-occur-under-ugas-kirby-smart/435594018
With Elijah Holyfield's arrest overnight, the Bulldogs are up to 11 arrests since head coach Kirby Smart took over the program last season.

They need to be praised for their consistency! Seven in 2016 and 3 through 4 months of 2017 means they are right on schedule. Clay, Ledbetter and Rivers have been arrested twice so only 8 different players have been arrested.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
WR in my opinion, we need a playmaker to come forward. Not just a reliable player, but an actual playmaker.

When PJ has a playmaking WR the offense is a different animal. Re: Bebe & Smelter
I see your point, but I don't see wr as a question. We have a real good idea what we have at that position.

SlawDog

Banned
WR in my opinion, we need a playmaker to come forward. Not just a reliable player, but an actual playmaker.

When PJ has a playmaking WR the offense is a different animal. Re: Bebe & Smelter
Wrong answer!
With this offense we need a WR that will block the right person well and catch the ball when it is thrown to them. Period

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I kind of agree. What we need is a receiver who can exploit single coverage and force a double team. Jeune pretty much does this already.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think this year's WR group will be the best overall during the CPJ era thus far. Not worried barring injuries.

I think we get a little too cuaght up in the, this O needs player x type to really be outstanding. Sometimes Dwyer is cited as the needed type, sometimes DT or Smelter, less frequently Shaq Mason etc. Truth is we need what all other Os need, multiple elite guys to have a stellar O. Dwyer had DT (! And vice versa!), not to mention Anthony Allen, RG, JfN, and Uzzi paving the way. Can't just have a single elite guy with experience. Just ask JT circa 2015.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sometimes I think we lose track of our perspective. We are all yuge fans of Tech sports and our vision can cloud up at times.

78, 312 fans filled the Nebraska stadium for their Red-White game this spring. That may be more people than exited the downtown connector during our spring game. Maybe there's nothing else to do in Lincoln.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes I think we lose track of our perspective. We are all yuge fans of Tech sports and our vision can cloud up at times.

78, 312 fans filled the Nebraska stadium for their Red-White game this spring. That may be more people than exited the downtown connector during our spring game. Maybe there's nothing else to do in Lincoln.
random citizen of Nebraska: "Whacha gonna do Sat afternoon Sam, watch the cows graze, watch the corn grow or watch Nebraska play football?"

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Since this is the off then I guess anything is appropriate. Another mutt was arrested last night.
http://www.11alive.com/sports/footb...est-to-occur-under-ugas-kirby-smart/435594018
With Elijah Holyfield's arrest overnight, the Bulldogs are up to 11 arrests since head coach Kirby Smart took over the program last season.

As much as I relish any chance to piss on a Dwag, I can't really cheer someone getting arrested with a little weed and a pipe on them. Legalization is coming folks, probably sooner than you expect. Pure profit (and tax revenue) is what's going to drive it.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Drive it? Like the son of a ***** that was high on weed that drove 50 mph through a stop sign killing my aunt? For that reason alone, I will never support legalization. I am open to lessening penalties to say a couple hundred for possession but that's about it. This country has more pot heads that it can support as it is not to mention the fools that go from marijuana to harder drugs. I saw the effects of drug use in my public school classroom at least once a semester and the experience did nothing to lessen my contempt and scorn for those who would advocate legalization.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Drive it? Like the son of a ***** that was high on weed that drove 50 mph through a stop sign killing my aunt? For that reason alone, I will never support legalization. I am open to lessening penalties to say a couple hundred for possession but that's about it. This country has more pot heads that it can support as it is not to mention the fools that go from marijuana to harder drugs. I saw the effects of drug use in my public school classroom at least once a semester and the experience did nothing to lessen my contempt and scorn for those who would advocate legalization.

He wasn't driving, he was just blazing in his dorm room. Why that's a crime is beyond me. I agree about driving though, treat it the same as DUI with alcohol.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There's a million legal things that can be abused in an illegal way. Alcohol comes right to mind, but it isn't the only thing by far. S

That said, I'm terribly sorry for your loss, brother.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

My apologies for letting my emotions get the better of me. After 30 years of teaching high school, I should know better than anyone that young people are "going to do what they are going to do" It is just that I have seen several lives disrupted, sometimes catastrophically by the pernicious effects of not only marijuana but alcohol and to a lesser extent cocaine and prescription drugs. My own nephew is 28 years old and his life is effectively over due to the combined effects of alcohol and marijuana. He cannot either get a job nor hold a job for any length of time due to drug tests. His brother, my other nephew, committed suicide this past year due to the effects of prescription drugs. My brother in law is either stoned in the morning or drunk in the afternoon. My sister works 6o plus hours a week to effectively support the three of them with her herculean efforts largely negated by ongoing drug issues. It is a sad state of affairs and I am sorry to have brought it on this forum where it does not belong. I just needed to vent my frustrations with the whole business.