2017 Coaching Carousel

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I’m still not sold on Taggart as being any better the Helfrich. Losing Scott Frost obviously let the wheels come off for Helfrich but to fire him for 1 bad season after losing a big time coordinator seemed silly.
A lot of Tennessee fans think UT will be talking to Willie Taggart. I'm not sold on Willie and if I were the UT AD I would be talking to Mike Norvell,Dino Babers,Chad Morris,David Cutcliffe or Lane Kiffin.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Tennessee AD John Currie releases statement

John Currie Spark Notes:
“I did my job and went after all the top guys before they turned us down because we are a .500 team over the course of 4 coaches in the last 10 years so I went offered a guy who’s had great success before, is a great recruiter, and is known for playing tough SEC style defense but my idiot fan base didn’t want him because he was .500 in a dying Big East (which BTW was probably still better than today’s SEC East) despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of those losses were in his first few seasons of a program that generally ranked in the bottom 10 of all of college football.

I will now restart my coaching search for worse candidates despite the fact we are now a laughing stock with a delusional fan base that will probably scare off most any other hires. Good thing is money talks so we can throw enough money at a coach that probably shouldn’t be getting paid anywhere near the amount we will be offering and hope he pans out.” #whydiditakethisjob #pleasefireme #7thbestjobintheconference

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
John Currie Spark Notes:
“I did my job and went after all the top guys before they turned us down because we are a .500 team over the course of 4 coaches in the last 10 years so I went offered a guy who’s had great success before, is a great recruiter, and is known for playing tough SEC style defense but my idiot fan base didn’t want him because he was .500 in a dying Big East (which BTW was probably still better than today’s SEC East) despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of those losses were in his first few seasons of a program that generally ranked in the bottom 10 of all of college football.

I will now restart my coaching search for worse candidates despite the fact we are now a laughing stock with a delusional fan base that will probably scare off most any other hires. Good thing is money talks so we can throw enough money at a coach that probably shouldn’t be getting paid anywhere near the amount we will be offering and hope he pans out.” #whydiditakethisjob #pleasefireme #7thbestjobintheconference
John Currie from what I read told a recruit that if I don't find a head coach by Mid December i'll be fired

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Probably will. From what I've seen he's actually a pretty decent AD.
The real AD at Tennessee is Moneybags Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam and John Currie takes his orders from him. Jimmy had wanted to hire Greg Schiano to coach the Browns and was turned down. There is a war going on in the UT Athletic Department trying to end the influence of Jimmy Haslam

Last edited:

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if anyone takes a look at Mark Helfrich. He's kind of a guy that I totally forgot about. I frankly do not know much about him, but he worked under Chip Kelly for years and was the OC of Oregon during 2009-2012 (Offensive FEI of 11th, 11th, 5th, and 2nd in that time). He was also rather successful as HC outside of his final season (33-8 in first 3 seasons). The question is whether or not his team was carried by Chip's recruits/system and Scott Frost's playcalling. After Frost left, the program went downhill. I'm sure you could hire him for cheap.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if anyone takes a look at Mark Helfrich. He's kind of a guy that I totally forgot about. I frankly do not know much about him, but he worked under Chip Kelly for years and was the OC of Oregon during 2009-2012 (Offensive FEI of 11th, 11th, 5th, and 2nd in that time). He was also rather successful as HC outside of his final season (33-8 in first 3 seasons). The question is whether or not his team was carried by Chip's recruits/system and Scott Frost's playcalling. After Frost left, the program went downhill. I'm sure you could hire him for cheap.
He would be a good hire for Kansas if they fire their head coach or UTEP