2016 National Championship: ACC vs SEC

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
2 busted plays by Clemson's defense. 14 points
1 bad kickoff coverage by Clemson. 7 points
1 Onside kick that Clemson had bad coverage alignment. Led to 7 points on that drive.

28 points because of shoddy football by Clemson.

So, Clemsoning.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sad ending to the season. Neither Clemson, nor the ACC for that matter, will get any credit for hanging tough in the national championship game. Instead the myth of SEC invincibility just gets perpetuated.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Anytime Alabama wins a national championship it's a dark day for every college football team in the nation, recruiting-wise, especially here in the southeast. But the way Clemson competed strengthened their image tremendously too.! GT recruiting double-hurt here.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think Bama may have gotten away with an illegal onside kick. If I remember correctly, the ball must hit the ground before the kicking team can actually recover it. This is what Dabo was going on about after the recovery

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Bama may have gotten away with an illegal onside kick. If I remember correctly, the ball must hit the ground before the kicking team can actually recover it. This is what Dabo was going on about after the recovery

Iirc, the kicking team can't interfere with receiving team (typically block them) catching ball before it hits the ground, or something like that. So, kicking teams often kick the ball into the ground to get by that.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's all about preventing a fair catch. You can't interfere with the player catching the ball, so if you pop the ball up in the air, the receiving team can just fair catch the ball and you can't hit them. The kicking team can, however, catch the ball first if there is no player from the return team there.

Where Clemson screwed up on that play was leaving that entire area of the field uncovered. There wasn't anyone even close to where that ball was going to land, so Alabama just popped it right over there and caught it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Dabo...the guy is an incredible recruiter and his team loves him, no doubt. However, I'm not so sure he's a great coach. He's has some really good assistants, but I feel like he has a tendency to get out-coached in games.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Good game. Too bad Clemson lost. Now, on to he really important question of whether Tech can turn itself around, starting with a solid recruiting class this year...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Dabo...the guy is an incredible recruiter and his team loves him, no doubt. However, I'm not so sure he's a great coach. He's has some really good assistants, but I feel like he has a tendency to get out-coached in games.
That's not why they lost. A few very huge individual player errors cost them the game. The coaches don't suit up, at some point the players have to execute very basic football plays. Clemson failed 3 specific times that resulted in HUGE plays for bammer that became the difference in the game. Bammer had some gaffs, too, but their gaffs didn't cost them nearly as much as Clemson's.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

I disagree. I saw kids in the position to make the tackle for a loss...as an example...on that TE at the end of the game and he simply missed. When kids are in the right position to make a play and miss, the coach and scheme did their job. Especially if the kid is the right matchup....vs a DE on a WR lets say (just using the case of a bad matchup scheme); or a RB blocking a DE solo in space etc.

Clemson was not out coached. They dominated that game really, but gaffed errors of execution that killed them...onside kick. TD kick return...blocked FG. Thats essentially 17 points they spotted bama.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Dabo is more of a CEO to me then a coach , hires good assistant coaches and lets them coach.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The better team won. I was surprised how close the talent was matched in this game. Clemson just had too many busted coverages. Bama made them work for everything they got and Clemson gave Bama too many easy scores. Amazed at the score 45 to 40. Not very good defense by either team. If I am a Georgia fan, I am thinking Kirby Smart may not be the defensive genius I thought we were getting. It looked like Saban had to school him several times throughout the game regarding how his defense was not performing.

I know a lot of our fans will now say we can not compete with Clemson, but I think we have clearly demonstrated over time that we can. We better roll up our sleeves and get to work, a repeat of last year just might put us in a death spiral that would put us in for a decade or so of not being able to compete. We just need to get the crap out of our neck and recommit to being a great football program. At the end of the day, Clemson is still Clemson.

Go Jackets!