2016 National Championship: ACC vs SEC

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't tell this to my Clemson friends, but they were out coached. I would bet the two busted coverages came because Bama picked up something Clemson was doing (or not doing) and exploited it. Same for the onside kick. I thought up to that point, Clemson was in control of the game, but that kick and subsequent score took the momentum from Clemson, and they didn't really get it back. Saban had that play ready if he needed it, and he did.

Other opinions, take them for what they're worth:

Clemson was more talented. It seemed to me the Bama player's body language said WTTE "Oh Hell, we can't just man handle them." The two TD's by the walk on wide receiver shook their world. I think the Clemson players figured this out early also.

How in hell did Henry gain 2000 yds this year? After watching him against MSU and Clemson , the SEC West rushing defenses must suck. Of course we knew that after the Orange Bowl last year.

Clemson missed their chance this year. They don't come along often. They caught us and FSU down, would have lost to ND on a dry field, could easily have lost to either Louisville, Syracuse, or UNC. I know, woulda, coulda, shoulda..... But for any team most years, the odds are against things aligning that well. We of all people well know that sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle. I think Clemson did this year. Would bet against it next year.

You want to know how quickly things can change? Fourteen months ago in November 2014 the week after losing to us in Atlanta, if Dabo had lost to Spurrier (making it 5 losses in a row to USC), he would have been fired immediately after the game according to my Clemson friends. Now he is the hottest coach in the country not named Saban or Meyer. I half jokingly told my Clemson friends that just like with Paul Hewitt taking us to a NC game, it will break the bank when you fire him three or four years down the road.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't tell this to my Clemson friends, but they were out coached. I would bet the two busted coverages came because Bama picked up something Clemson was doing (or not doing) and exploited it. Same for the onside kick. I thought up to that point, Clemson was in control of the game, but that kick and subsequent score took the momentum from Clemson, and they didn't really get it back. Saban had that play ready if he needed it, and he did. And immediately after the game? What, with a bowl game left? Just doesn't compute.

Other opinions, take them for what they're worth:

Clemson was more talented. It seemed to me the Bama player's body language said WTTE "Oh Hell, we can't just man handle them." The two TD's by the walk on wide receiver shook their world. I think the Clemson players figured this out early also.

How in hell did Henry gain 2000 yds this year? After watching him against MSU and Clemson , the SEC West rushing defenses must suck. Of course we knew that after the Orange Bowl last year.

Clemson missed their chance this year. They don't come along often. They caught us and FSU down, would have lost to ND on a dry field, could easily have lost to either Louisville, Syracuse, or UNC. I know, woulda, coulda, shoulda..... But for any team most years, the odds are against things aligning that well. We of all people well know that sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle. I think Clemson did this year. Would bet against it next year.

You want to know how quickly things can change? Fourteen months ago in November 2014 the week after losing to us in Atlanta, if Dabo had lost to Spurrier (making it 5 losses in a row to USC), he would have been fired immediately after the game according to my Clemson friends. Now he is the hottest coach in the country not named Saban or Meyer. I half jokingly told my Clemson friends that just like with Paul Hewitt taking us to a NC game, it will break the bank when you fire him three or four years down the road.
Not to argue so much, and all I know is what I get from someone close to Swinney and the program, but he was in no danger of getting fired last year. None. There might have been a minor uproar, but he was safe, and not just because, but partly because his QB was hurt though he played. How much they would have tolerated is uncertain, but four straight 10-win seasons at the time was a powerful argument for the quality of coaching.

The walkon receiver is a tipoff. Good grief, what program in the country can lose its two best WRs and have a walkon perform that well? Clemson is loaded for 2016. And yep, getting back is harder than getting there once, but they can go back.

I don't quibble with out-coached, but it would not surprise me if Clemson had a new ST coach in 2016. That was the game, and other than those instances, it was Clemson all the way. Too bad, because I would root ACC against anybody else and the NC, I think, would have helped the perception. I would note, though, that Clemson attacked Alabama at their weakest positions all night, and demonstrated that a strong OL could hold its on against some guys who unarguable were very big and fast and quick. All those guys are back in 2016. All his skill positions are back in 2016, and I think that any coaching thinking that Swinney is not a smart coach is going to get his rear end handed to him.

That being said, Tech can do well against them, if: we can run our offense and keep their offense on the sideline. But give that offense 30 minutes with the ball and you see the result: 500 yards or more, 40 points. That is hard to beat. So the question for us is whether Johnson can get to those guys who performed so poorly this season.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Seeing a lot of bashing Clemson's special teams as if they dropped the ball or "got out coached". Give Alabama some credit!

The blocked FG came from a great individual play & luck. Surprise onside kicks are often successful, in this case because Alabama coaches spotted a formation they could try it on. As for the kickoff return TD, it's easy to say now but I knew they would break one if given enough chances. Bama's kick returner has been an X-factor all season that nobody talks about. Big returns don't get noticed in blowouts. (Ha- I just had a flashback to Forrest Gump).

For the most part Clemson outplayed Alabama, shutting down Henry, and pressuring Coker on defense, as well as Watson picking them apart on offense. Difference was Alabama hit more breakdown plays like Henry's one big TD run and the TE finding daylight, and most importantly that one interception. Coupled with the onside kick Alabama was +2 in turnovers. The injury to their all-American CB probably opened up plays they would've normally stopped.

This is kinda the reverse of the Ole Miss game where the Rebels caught all the breaks but Alabama still had a chance to win in the end. Here Bama caught a lot of breaks but Clemson almost had a chance in the end. Based on that I think Clemson wins that game 4 out of 5 times.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Let the two teams play again and I know which one I think would win.

As for narrative, if Alabama had lost it would be a whole lot harder for people next season to talk about SEC being the strongest conference. To be sure they would only adjust the narrative slightly, suggesting that their AVERAGE strength is better even though they do not have the top teams in the nation.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Let the two teams play again and I know which one I think would win.

As for narrative, if Alabama had lost it would be a whole lot harder for people next season to talk about SEC being the strongest conference. To be sure they would only adjust the narrative slightly, suggesting that their AVERAGE strength is better even though they do not have the top teams in the nation.
It seemed to me, as much as anything, that is why Swinney was so disconsolate in the press conference afterward. He was really frustrated ... and pretty combative going forward, I must say. But I agree. Even that late TD that made the game closer than it might have appeared doesn't change my mind, and that was that sometimes in sports the best team loses. It's why they keep score I suppose.