2016 Depth Chart.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
MM still gets no respect, I don't get it. If you can't see that he is special, then you just can't see talent. Pretty cut and dry.

Marshall will start and get the majority of the snaps until he leaves Tech. All the CPJ stuff in the papers is just to keep MM motivated and working hard.
What I really pay attention to with freshman RBs is the actual running with the ball part of the job, the blocking and all those other intangibles take more time to develop. Strictly as a runner, I thought Marshall was our best looking freshman since Dwyer in 2007. He should be a much better overall player next year and I'm excited to see how he looks. That said, I'm excited about Mills and Leggett too, and that competition should make everyone better.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
MM still gets no respect, I don't get it. If you can't see that he is special, then you just can't see talent. Pretty cut and dry.

Marshall will start and get the majority of the snaps until he leaves Tech. All the CPJ stuff in the papers is just to keep MM motivated and working hard.

I was watching the Pitt game and the Virginia game and agree MM is special. That man has more gears than a 16 wheeler with a burst that is, dare I say, Dwyer like. He is somewhat smaller than our B backs in the past but I am not sure that it matters that much. Don't know much about CJ. Others may differ but I am about decided that B back is a position that might best be served by having two guys sharing the load. They just get hit so much even when they don't have the ball. Back when Dwyer and Nesbitt were playing against North Carolina and they had those two linebackers Sturdivent and can't remember the name of the other one boy did they give out some hits. I swear I don't know how Dwyer made it through the game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
TBF Marcus Allen matches up pretty evenly with those guys, although he was recruited as an athlete

ESPN Grade Rivals Grade 247 Grade Scout
3* 78 3* 5.7 3* 0.8570 3*

True, but IIRC, he was being recruited primarily as a LB at that point.

And all this to say that I think we are well stocked at the BB position. CJL, MM, MA, QW, or DM are capable of great things. The competition is only going to make them better.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
True, but IIRC, he was being recruited primarily as a LB at that point.

And all this to say that I think we are well stocked at the BB position. CJL, MM, MA, QW, or DM are capable of great things. The competition is only going to make them better.

Marcus was recruited as a BBack. He was moved to linebacker.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If Marcus Allen can stay healthy, he'll have something serious to say about the depth chart order. When he was healthy, he was the top dog last year. The guy has a lot of the traits we need at Bback: good ball security, toughness, hard to tackle, hits the hole and gets north/south quickly, good vision, balance, speed is not bad, knows how to use his blockers, hard worker, knows the offense better than anybody else.

Again, if he's healthy, he's gonna be tough to beat and that's a good thing for all the rest of the guys in line.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When I watched the B-Backs last year, what I saw from MA that I didn't see from the others was once he got past the first like of defenders, he almost seemed to slow down and pick his way through the crowd, similarly to the way Tashard Choice did. He didn't really lose forward speed, but seemed to just find the right seams and burst through them. I think, as long as he is healthy, he'll get as many snaps and he can handle.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If Marcus Allen can stay healthy, he'll have something serious to say about the depth chart order. When he was healthy, he was the top dog last year. The guy has a lot of the traits we need at Bback: good ball security, toughness, hard to tackle, hits the hole and gets north/south quickly, good vision, balance, speed is not bad, knows how to use his blockers, hard worker, knows the offense better than anybody else.

Again, if he's healthy, he's gonna be tough to beat and that's a good thing for all the rest of the guys in line.

I think MA can definitely win a spot in that rotation. With all the talent we have back there, competition is going to be fierce.

When I watched the B-Backs last year, what I saw from MA that I didn't see from the others was once he got past the first like of defenders, he almost seemed to slow down and pick his way through the crowd, similarly to the way Tashard Choice did. He didn't really lose forward speed, but seemed to just find the right seams and burst through them. I think, as long as he is healthy, he'll get as many snaps and he can handle.

Interesting observation. He kind of reminds me of Tony Hollings.