2016-2017 GT Hoops Schedule

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Does it really matter what order the games come in? Maybe the first three will give us a convenient excuse of "it was too demoralizing to overcome" as we play out the rest. I'd rather it happen this year than when we have expectations.

IMHO it does. Kids get beaten down and it is hard - but not impossible - to get them back to being confident again. Same as if the FB team started with Alabama, Ohio State and Carolina Panthers. If we got a winnable game like Wake, BC or even a Clemson in there it helps.

Given our talent level and the level of play in the ACC, we ain't gonna win much. I am just looking for any angle we can get and instead got shat upon.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My issue is that this seems to be becoming a trend. Definitely 2 years in a row, maybe it's more than that.

I realize that it's reaching a point where every game will always be a tough one, but that's a rough opening stretch.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I mean, the conference clearly has teams it caters too hence our consistently unfavorable scheduling. I hope we force our way into that class because clearly they're not going to give us anything easy. FSU has kinda done it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I guess because I set an over/under of 1.5 ACC wins, regardless of game sequence, I don't see level of confidence being a significant factor in W/L outcomes.

Regardless I am on board with complaining about the Tobacco Street Mafia.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I wonder why Swofford and the Mafia would go out of their way to conspire to make things hard for one of the worst teams in the confernevce. Seems to me they would do this kind of thing to a team they thought could be a threat to the teams they are allegedly conspiring to benefit. Given that even GT fans believe we'll be lucky to win 2 games, a nefarious scheduler wouldn't give GT's schedule more than a second's thought

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Does it really matter what order the games come in? Maybe the first three will give us a convenient excuse of "it was too demoralizing to overcome" as we play out the rest. I'd rather it happen this year than when we have expectations.

exactly, backwards /forwards /reverse--doubtful it will make any difference--it will not be surprising if we lose every conf game--BC did it last yr with a somewhat decent team

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I really want to be outraged but .... I'll just say that I hope our guys use stuff like this as motivation.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My issue is that this seems to be becoming a trend. Definitely 2 years in a row, maybe it's more than that.

I realize that it's reaching a point where every game will always be a tough one, but that's a rough opening stretch.
When your team is going to be one of the bottom dwellers, that's just the way it is. As a bottom dweller your odds of winning are low. The entire schedule is tough.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Hard to come up with a logical reason why he will not be correct.

How about the fact that it has only happened six times? When BC did it last year, they were the first team to do it in 30 years. And it's only getting harder to do with more conference games every year.

Boston College (2015-16) 0-18
Maryland (1986-87) 0-14
Wake Forest (1985-86) 0-14
Georgia Tech (1980-81) 0-14
Clemson (1954-55) 0-14
Clemson (1953-54) 0-9

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It isn't fun typing posts like this... Are we better than last year's BC team? Is it possible we are worse?

I went with an o/u of 1.5 not because I think we will win any specific game but because odds are we will randomly put together a complete game. So for that reason, I agree with folks stating the glass is at least 1/18 full.

But wow, this debate is really "are we terrible" or "are we really really inexcusably bad"? I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Blame this nice man

image.jpeg

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
How about the fact that it has only happened six times? When BC did it last year, they were the first team to do it in 30 years. And it's only getting harder to do with more conference games every year.

Boston College (2015-16) 0-18
Maryland (1986-87) 0-14
Wake Forest (1985-86) 0-14
Georgia Tech (1980-81) 0-14
Clemson (1954-55) 0-14
Clemson (1953-54) 0-9
So you're stating that it is possible for us to go without a win, because it has happened more than once...
Of course I hope that's not the case. I hope we have at least 8 to 10 ACC wins this season. Unfortunately I do not see that in the realm of reality.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It isn't fun typing posts like this... Are we better than last year's BC team? Is it possible we are worse?

I went with an o/u of 1.5 not because I think we will win any specific game but because odds are we will randomly put together a complete game. So for that reason, I agree with folks stating the glass is at least 1/18 full.

But wow, this debate is really "are we terrible" or "are we really really inexcusably bad"? I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.

I really just want a reason to blast Rothstein on twitter in 6 months. He'd be really good if toned down the "sizzle", because I think there's some level of substance there. Quit trying to push a narrative.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait?! We scheduled TN Thompson?! Doesn't Pastner know we lost most of our scoring from last year?
UT isn't going to be very good this season they will probably hover around 15-15. UT has the smallest and probably least talented basketball team in the SEC.