2015 Warmest Year on Record

Deleted member 2897

One of the better summations I've seen. I assume he is a Nobel laureate but that doesn't matter as he is apparently part of the irrational 3% climate scientist deniers. Hold that, he's a scientist but may not specialize in "climate science" so is likely not "qualified" to comment on this topic.

Interesting also that he spoke of his concerns just prior to Paris....and thus just prior to Climategate 2.0. I think Dr. Judith Curry was getting lambasted by lib U.S. senators at about this same time for her "irrational denial of AGW."

I haven't followed Dr. Curry all that closely, but she isn't a "Climate Change Denier" is she? I thought she was (going from memory) one of the more rational people who said (paraphrasing) humans are polluting the earth, they are affecting the climate...but she just refused to be apoplectic or hysterical about it and said those who take highly emotional positions and make wildly inaccurate end-of-the-world predictions do nothing but hurt (hee hee butt hurt) the cause. In other words, she was following the science and not the emotion.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I haven't followed Dr. Curry all that closely, but she isn't a "Climate Change Denier" is she? I thought she was (going from memory) one of the more rational people who said (paraphrasing) humans are polluting the earth, they are affecting the climate...but she just refused to be apoplectic or hysterical about it and said those who take highly emotional positions and make wildly inaccurate end-of-the-world predictions do nothing but hurt (hee hee butt hurt) the cause. In other words, she was following the science and not the emotion.

You are right about her position. However, to put a finer point on it, she has said the data doesn't support the "mainstream" (my word) concern, so she has been labeled a denier. She ended up resigning from GT.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Curry was actually much more of a climate alarmist several years ago. Was on board with the "consensus" of AGW as a sound scientific theory.

Climategate 1.0 apparently led her to re-examine the science and she subsequently changed her position toward a more skeptical, less alarmist position. So she is now castigated as a "denier."

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I knew she resigned but never heard any details why. It saddens me that GT seems to have spiraled down the liberal think "slide" like most other universities. Certainly doesn't seem like Tech is the same institute my dad graduated from. Nor the same that my friends graduated from either, back in the mid to late 90s, for that matter. Not if minority views and skeptical inquiries lead to a hostile work environment between colleagues. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised considering the current president and his leadership. He should be ashamed but I'll bet ya he's damn glad to be rid of this maverick looking for evidence and proof.....smdh.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I knew she resigned but never heard any details why. It saddens me that GT seems to have spiraled down the liberal think "slide" like most other universities. Certainly doesn't seem like Tech is the same institute my dad graduated from. Nor the same that my friends graduated from either, back in the mid to late 90s, for that matter. Not if minority views and skeptical inquiries lead to a hostile work environment between colleagues. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised considering the current president and his leadership. He should be ashamed but I'll bet ya he's damn glad to be rid of this maverick looking for evidence and proof.....smdh.

Fwiw, Dr Curry articulated in that video the position which I've taken: the data does not support coming down domestically on one side or the other.

I took that position based on data and arguments from data not on the basis of her authority. I held it before her.

The sad thing is that some will dismiss her even though they don't understand the data.

Deleted member 2897

There is such a massive amount of money on that side of the fence, it makes it hard to stay objective. But yea, not surprised. When Tech announced their latest Freshman class breakdown, they couldn't even disclose the male to female ratio. They had to use the "identifies as" nomenclature. I wonder how many people see this and go somewhere else. It's a terrible sign when a supposed leader in science and technology starts shunning science.

Deleted member 2897

Have only had a chance to watch the first few minutes but some more good stuff from Dr. Curry.

For any folks that don't have time to watch the video, I haven't gotten through it all either. But here is one important take home point - our own governments who are pushing so hard for dramatic changes to energy estimate we'll only affect global temperatures by a tiny fraction of 1 degree...even if we hit these lofty emission reduction goals (which honestly I don't think we have a shot in hell of reaching). Note her conclusion on the bottom right - an exercise in futility. I think our best shot to actually reduce temperatures is to start sending up stuff into the atmosphere that reflects more of the sunlight away from the atmosphere.

sOSB0nH.jpg

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If the government funneled the majority of environmental funding to say...cleaning up oceanic "garbage patches", at least we could get some positive environmental impact in return. Oh btw....there is a lot of misinformation about those also...go figure. And cleaning up micro plastics from the oceans is probably a lot more difficult, and costly, than I'd care to contemplate. At least it's not an unproven theory sucking my tax dollars into a useless black hole.

Deleted member 2897

If the government funneled the majority of environmental funding to say...cleaning up oceanic "garbage patches", at least we could get some positive environmental impact in return. Oh btw....there is a lot of misinformation about those also...go figure. And cleaning up micro plastics from the oceans is probably a lot more difficult, and costly, than I'd care to contemplate. At least it's not an unproven theory sucking my tax dollars into a useless black hole.

I just read an article last week that those wicking fabrics from athletic clothes and yoga pants (microfibers) are an incredible disaster beyond all previous comprehension. Its showing up in fish now and so on. They said really the only way to stop it is to improve washing machine technology to keep it contained.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling it's going to be an extremely warm-hot April and May with no Blackberry Winter snap like their usually is in April. This weather reminds me of the weather going into the drought of 2005-2007.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I just read an article last week that those wicking fabrics from athletic clothes and yoga pants (microfibers) are an incredible disaster beyond all previous comprehension. Its showing up in fish now and so on. They said really the only way to stop it is to improve washing machine technology to keep it contained.

Yep, they are blaming washing machine manufacturers for not filtering out the microfibers. Do they really expect people to then clean those filters? (most would rinse to clean which would defeat the purpose) Or do they want disposable filters to clog up landfills?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Used to be that Easter was the beginning of Spring or at least the promise thereof.

The earth will survive but very inconvenient (tic) for the people displaced by different weather. Just back from Peru where the flooding was the worst in memory. Some glaciers are gone. But we continue to pump CO2 into the atmosphere while some ignore the factual link to accelerated global warming. Stupid but true. Then again, myth is much stronger than fact and always will be.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-13/humankind-the-post-truth-species

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Used to be that Easter was the beginning of Spring or at least the promise thereof.

The earth will survive but very inconvenient (tic) for the people displaced by different weather. Just back from Peru where the flooding was the worst in memory. Some glaciers are gone. But we continue to pump CO2 into the atmosphere while some ignore the factual link to accelerated global warming. Stupid but true. Then again, myth is much stronger than fact and always will be.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-13/humankind-the-post-truth-species

Thanks. This link certainly explains why people believe in the dangers of anthropogenic climate change and ironically reject the miracle of Easter.

Deleted member 2897

Thanks. This link certainly explains why people believe in the dangers of anthropogenic climate change and ironically reject the miracle of Easter.

I also find it funny that even our beloved IPCC over with the UN states that if we reduce carbon emissions by 25% that the global temperature will only drop 0.03 degrees. So at some point no matter how strongly you believe in the science, you have to acknowledge that the data shows humans are a much smaller contributor than the media and politicians claim.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Flooding and draughts have occurred throughout human history and will continue to. Some glaciers are gone, if not Detroit might be under two miles of ice still. Other glaciers are growing, even today. This flux has also occurred prior to "human activity."

I fail to see the link between the article's hypothesis that the ignorance of man, believing in false faiths, has allowed mankind to succeed where chimps fail...that's a lol. There are much larger differences between man and chimp than belief in religion.

Myth can be stronger than facts to some though, that I concede. The notion that man caused catastrophic climate change is upon us is a great example of that IMO.

I'd love to hear some of your factual data of accelerated global warming if you, or someone else, hasn't posted it already. Or feel free to jump in on prior points of debate as well.