2015 Warmest Year on Record

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Im not argueing with you on that, I have seen no evidence. I have stated numerous times in this thread and for the most part I am getting personal opinions and debatable sources. If you say there are zero accurate climate models how can you say there is no such thing as climate change? Shouldn't you be agnostic with me on the subject?

Not at all. Because the alarmists are primarily utilizing faulty models as the impetus to make huge financial sacrifices for zero or minuscule benefit.

I'll ask you what I asked @Northeast Stinger. How many hundreds of billions do you support spending to mitigate AGW? What affect will this have on our nation's economy? How much impact will these sacrifices make on global temperature?

If those questions can't be answered don't ask for any major spending, tax increases, reductions in energy production.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Not at all. Because the alarmists are primarily utilizing faulty models as the impetus to make huge financial sacrifices for zero or minuscule benefit.

I'll ask you what I asked @Northeast Stinger. How many hundreds of billions do you support spending to mitigate AGW? What affect will this have on our nation's economy? How much impact will these sacrifices make on global temperature?

If those questions can't be answered don't ask for any major spending, tax increases, reductions in energy production.

I am comfortable spending a portion of our tax dollars on studies and changes that leave this world a better place. how about 1/100th of what we spend on national defence. That should be plenty of money for the studies. But as I see it now I haven't seen much information from any credible source that shows everything we think is wrong.

I have no problem cutting tail and doing a 180 on the subject as soon as data shows thats the proper step to take.

Animal02

Banned
I am comfortable spending a portion of our tax dollars on studies and changes that leave this world a better place. how about 1/100th of what we spend on national defence. That should be plenty of money for the studies. But as I see it now I haven't seen much information from any credible source that shows everything we think is wrong.

I have no problem cutting tail and doing a 180 on the subject as soon as data shows thats the proper step to take.
There is no data that shows any of the speculation regarding "man made climate change" is correct. They are computer models that have not show the ability to reliably predict past events. They are constantly discovering new variables that impact the climate as well as localized weather. Furthermore, there are multiple random factors that can have significant impact on the climate.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Well as @Animal02 ststed their is zero evidence to back the alarmist position. Their models have always been and continues to be wrong. All the other data analysis on climate is theoretical only. I'm not willing to spend a dime on unproven theory that even alarmists admit would have a negligible impact at best on global temps.

And why does the left always chose the military to cut? Do you really perceive the DPRK, Iran, Russia, China, ISIS, and Al'Qaida to be less of a threat to America than AGW? If so I think you are deluded.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Well as @Animal02 ststed their is zero evidence to back the alarmist position. Their models have always been and continues to be wrong. All the other data analysis on climate is theoretical only. I'm not willing to spend a dime on unproven theory that even alarmists admit would have a negligible impact at best on global temps.

And why does the left always chose the military to cut? Do you really perceive the DPRK, Iran, Russia, China, ISIS, and Al'Qaida to be less of a threat to America than AGW? If so I think you are deluded.

I am not left and did not say to cut anything. But I do know we could do a far better job for far cheaper than what were doing when it comes to foreign relations. Threatening war over twitter is just stupid.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I am not left and did not say to cut anything. But I do know we could do a far better job for far cheaper than what were doing when it comes to foreign relations. Threatening war over twitter is just stupid.

Other forms of diplomacy have been completely ineffective so I don't give a :poop: about twittering or not.

Deleted member 2897

I mean, give the guy a break. When you have such small hands, its much easier to fire our a tweet than to grab a gun. :cigar:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Back to AGW.

Hurricane Harvey rescue and relief operations need to be halted immediately. Rescue and recovery efforts are utilizing vehicles equipped with internal combustion engines! These are polluting the planet and fueling AGW further. This will likely cause as many as 2 more Harvey type storms to strike Texas again in the next 10-15 years! Something that would be completely unprecedented in the history of the U.S. o_O

Stop the rescue and recovery until clean energy vehicles can be brought in and utilized instead. Otherwise we are dooming Texas to more of these incidents! ........:cigar:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Now that Al Gore's predictions are.....finally......manifesting, let's take a look at the news coverage of this dangerous storm. The below link provides an interesting comparison between the major competing cable news networks. I missed it all myself now that I have cut the cable cord.

So basically, if anyone tragically dies as a result of this storm it's because our stupid citizenry didn't heed the news' dire warnings to evacuate. Which is a result of the distrust the population has in the media. Which is all Trump's fault for saying "fake news."

It has nothing at all to do with prior storms and inflated pre-storm damage and risk assessments over the past 2 decades...no that plays no part. It's all Trump. Even a single storm death is because of Trump. This is another impeachable offense!!!!!:whistle:

Just thought I would interject somewhere in this thread which I have been missing for quite a while. Had to check on family in Houston. All is well with them, though not their city. Thanks to all who wished me well and added prayers.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Good luck to family. Having stayed through Isabel and no power for two weeks (we were lucky), the worst is afterwards. From the radar this morning, Houston is really getting flooded ...... the worst thing about tropical storms is when they are slow and dump extra rain.

Part of climate change is the increase in sea water temperature as well as atmospheric temperature. That makes these storms more powerful. This site has a good geeral discussion https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/ClimateStorms/page2.php
"
Specifically, researchers found that storms attain Category 3 wind speeds nearly nine hours faster than they did in the 1980s. Another satellite-based study found that global wind speeds had increased by an average of 5 percent over the past two decades.

There is also evidence that extra water vapor in the atmosphere is making storms wetter. During the past 25 years, satellites have measured a 4 percent rise in water vapor in the air column. In ground-based records, about 76 percent of weather stations in the United States have seen increases in extreme precipitation since 1948. One analysis found that extreme downpours are happening 30 percent more often. Another study found that the largest storms now produce 10 percent more precipitation."

It is as it is. We have made our bed and are going to be coping with stronger storms. (Of course that is just my opinion based on watching sea level and water temperature rise. One good thing where I live is that climate change has apparently shifted the jet stream which should keep more hurricanes from impacting the East Coast; but the Gulf will get more.)
Thank you.

Family members are all fine. Houston is not.

I am too lazy to look it up but I believe I read that Houston has had 5 "One Hundred Year Floods" in the last 20 years, had 2 "Five Hundred Year Floods" in back to back years, and has now had a "One Thousand Year Flood." I get it when people argue that we have not lived in human history long enough to know what a complete climate cycle would look like but to suggest that storms have not changed in our lifetime makes no sense to me.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thank you.

Family members are all fine. Houston is not.

I am too lazy to look it up but I believe I read that Houston has had 5 "One Hundred Year Floods" in the last 20 years, had 2 "Five Hundred Year Floods" in back to back years, and has now had a "One Thousand Year Flood." I get it when people argue that we have not lived in human history long enough to know what a complete climate cycle would look like but to suggest that storms have not changed in our lifetime makes no sense to me.

Good to hear. These hurricanes suck to live through and are a cost of living on the coasts.

I hope I'm right about the jet stream keeping Irma in the Atlantic. Time will tell....... but these bigger storms all around the world are due to the increased air and water temperature. These increased temperatures and higher sea level are indisputable facts; but with so much money tied up in the oil / carbon industry there will be confusing stuff put out. Just like cigarettes are good for you since they calm you down. That is also true but misses the bigger picture.

As to "500" or "1000" year floods, over-development by paving over way too much and building in low lying areas is also a big culprit. Here on the East Coast, most of the good property was built on years ago. People from prior years knew to build on high ground. Another example are the regular 100 year floods on the Mississippi since the flood plains upstream have been blocked off and channel more water down stream.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Good to hear. These hurricanes suck to live through and are a cost of living on the coasts.

I hope I'm right about the jet stream keeping Irma in the Atlantic. Time will tell....... but these bigger storms all around the world are due to the increased air and water temperature. These increased temperatures and higher sea level are indisputable facts; but with so much money tied up in the oil / carbon industry there will be confusing stuff put out. Just like cigarettes are good for you since they calm you down. That is also true but misses the bigger picture.

As to "500" or "1000" year floods, over-development by paving over way too much and building in low lying areas is also a big culprit. Here on the East Coast, most of the good property was built on years ago. People from prior years knew to build on high ground. Another example are the regular 100 year floods on the Mississippi since the flood plains upstream have been blocked off and channel more water down stream.
I think one of the things that continually mixes up the conversation for people is the difference between climate and weather. I think everyone on this site knows the difference but politicians continually use weather events to explain climate. You know the examples of this so I won't name them.

On the other hand we are seeing long term trends and these can be documented. This year's hurricane season will be interesting because the weather service predicted a more active than normal season with more named storms. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are not but their models seems to show that the longer we go without a big event the more likely we are to have several events in one year. This is not just averaging out but rather could indicate catching up to the long term models which are increasingly dire.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
You may want to relax.

The thread was started about a press release on 2015. We are now nearing the end of 2017. I think you can pretty much assume that people aren't still talking about 2015.

I am 4 beers in for the evening and very relaxed. The point being independent of when the thread started it is still a global warming thread. Or at least it has been. You can find a million threads on the interwebs talking about how stupid the left and right is. Why turn this into yet another stupid thread that will never amount to anything? Everyone is firm on their opinion and nothing will change.

But the Global warming discussions here have been very good and open minded.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Irma is probably going to be a real ***** in about a week. Looks like Atlantic landfall between Florida and NC somewhere and then bury herself inland. So much for the high pressure keeping her away. May still happen that she stays at sea but it's less likely and our run of good luck may run out on the East Coast. Damn. Started thinking about / doing preps already.

My two favorite sites for tracking are WeatherUnderground ...... check out the Ensemble Models chart ...... https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma

Of course the best site for 3-4 days out is the Navy site :p https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/.../www/atlantic/tropics/microvap/dmsp&TYPE=ssmi