2015 Warmest Year on Record

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Don Lemon really cracks me up, but I have to be in the right mood to tolerate his madness. He claims Trump is unhinged but he is only projecting his own insanity.

Trump is bombastic, Trump is thin skinned, Trump is pompous. I think all of these descriptors are true of him.

But these claims that Trump is "deranged" or "unhinged" is utter madness and it's impossible for me to take these folks seriously when they try to make this case.

Once you believe that the 1930's were colder now than they were ten years ago and that Benghazi was about a video, you'll believe anything.

Deleted member 2897

Probably a 75% chance that Harvey becomes a Category 3 hurricane before it comes on shore. That will break the current 12 year streak of no Category 3 hurricanes or larger coming onto the mainland. And its 50% longer than the 2nd place record, which dates back to the mid 1800s.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Probably a 75% chance that Harvey becomes a Category 3 hurricane before it comes on shore. That will break the current 12 year streak of no Category 3 hurricanes or larger coming onto the mainland. And its 50% longer than the 2nd place record, which dates back to the mid 1800s.

I'm so glad Al Gore warned us of these catastrophic AGW caused weather disasters....oh wait.....nevermind.:rolleyes:

Deleted member 2897

On a side Global Warming note, Harvey has had all day but can't get past 110 mph. Its getting really close to the coast now, so there is now a pretty good chance it doesn't pass 110mph when it comes ashore, thus continuing the incredibly long 12 year streak of no Category 3 storms or larger hitting the mainland.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
On a side Global Warming note, Harvey has had all day but can't get past 110 mph. Its getting really close to the coast now, so there is now a pretty good chance it doesn't pass 110mph when it comes ashore, thus continuing the incredibly long 12 year streak of no Category 3 storms or larger hitting the mainland.

I'm sure a climate scientist out there can find a wind meter in need of adjustment....not to manipulate the data of course...simply to make the readings more accurate :cigar:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In all seriousness though looks like it hit as a cat 4, expected to drop 35" of rain. Hope folks left the area b4 landfall. Prayers for all in its path.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Now that Al Gore's predictions are.....finally......manifesting, let's take a look at the news coverage of this dangerous storm. The below link provides an interesting comparison between the major competing cable news networks. I missed it all myself now that I have cut the cable cord.

So basically, if anyone tragically dies as a result of this storm it's because our stupid citizenry didn't heed the news' dire warnings to evacuate. Which is a result of the distrust the population has in the media. Which is all Trump's fault for saying "fake news."

It has nothing at all to do with prior storms and inflated pre-storm damage and risk assessments over the past 2 decades...no that plays no part. It's all Trump. Even a single storm death is because of Trump. This is another impeachable offense!!!!!:whistle:

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Hey Guys, Please stop the Clinton/Trump crap! Make another thread or take it to PM.

When I saw the two *** clowns that the dems and the republicans settled on, I really did vote for cthulhu.

I have enjoyed this thread from a discussion of science compared to global warming with a hint of related politics. Please lets go back to that

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haven't heard from family yet, but thanks for everyone's concern. I am taking the "no news is good news" approach. I am also reminded that the worst may come days or weeks for now, if the storm becomes a cut off low pressure system the way the one did in south Georgia years ago that cut Albany and Macon in half with flooding.

Good luck to family. Having stayed through Isabel and no power for two weeks (we were lucky), the worst is afterwards. From the radar this morning, Houston is really getting flooded ...... the worst thing about tropical storms is when they are slow and dump extra rain.

Part of climate change is the increase in sea water temperature as well as atmospheric temperature. That makes these storms more powerful. This site has a good geeral discussion https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/ClimateStorms/page2.php
"
Specifically, researchers found that storms attain Category 3 wind speeds nearly nine hours faster than they did in the 1980s. Another satellite-based study found that global wind speeds had increased by an average of 5 percent over the past two decades.

There is also evidence that extra water vapor in the atmosphere is making storms wetter. During the past 25 years, satellites have measured a 4 percent rise in water vapor in the air column. In ground-based records, about 76 percent of weather stations in the United States have seen increases in extreme precipitation since 1948. One analysis found that extreme downpours are happening 30 percent more often. Another study found that the largest storms now produce 10 percent more precipitation."

It is as it is. We have made our bed and are going to be coping with stronger storms. (Of course that is just my opinion based on watching sea level and water temperature rise. One good thing where I live is that climate change has apparently shifted the jet stream which should keep more hurricanes from impacting the East Coast; but the Gulf will get more.)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@GTNavyNuke

If your above premise has merit it sure is a miracle we went so long without a major storm making landfall. Even the ones that steered away from land weren't monsters. Where did all those monster storms predicted go? Same place as the melted glaciers predicted and flooded state of Florida.

Even if there is more moisture in the air, warmer sea levels, etc (shockingly I'm skeptical after all the alarmist lies and data manipulation) where is the proof it comes from AGW alone? There is none. The vaunted scientists you bow down to in reverence still can't factor the impact the sun has on our climate. Their models don't account for the primary provider of energy to our environment. Garbage in = garbage out = faulty models. Not surprised none of the models have ever, ever, accurately predicted jack :poop:.​

It is what it is.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTNavyNuke

If your above premise has merit it sure is a miracle we went so long without a major storm making landfall. Even the ones that steered away from land weren't monsters. Where did all those monster storms predicted go? Same place as the melted glaciers predicted and flooded state of Florida.

Even if there is more moisture in the air, warmer sea levels, etc (shockingly I'm skeptical after all the alarmist lies and data manipulation) where is the proof it comes from AGW alone? There is none. The vaunted scientists you bow down to in reverence still can't factor the impact the sun has on our climate. Their models don't account for the primary provider of energy to our environment. Garbage in = garbage out = faulty models. Not surprised none of the models have ever, ever, accurately predicted jack :poop:.​

It is what it is.

Please look at the chart of total number of Atlantic tropical storms by year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_hurricane_season The lack of landfalls in the US is I believe as I noted due to a shifting jet stream - I didn't say the jet stream was further south and east but that is what I believe it generally is for the East Coast.

I don't defend all of the models; of course earlier ones will be improved over time. I simply go by the increase in sea level and sea water temperature (they are slightly related). I bow down in reverence to what I see as provable facts. We've gone round this barn before and we disagree; here's what I posted before 2015 Warmest Year on Record

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Please look at the chart of total number of Atlantic tropical storms by year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_hurricane_season The lack of landfalls in the US is I believe as I noted due to a shifting jet stream - I didn't say the jet stream was further south and east but that is what I believe it generally is for the East Coast.

I don't defend all of the models; of course earlier ones will be improved over time. I simply go by the increase in sea level and sea water temperature (they are slightly related). I bow down in reverence to what I see as provable facts. We've gone round this barn before and we disagree; here's what I posted before 2015 Warmest Year on Record

All very interesting. None of it compelling, at all, to devote significant money toward or raise alarm over. We aren't about to melt, our coastlines aren't chasing us inland, and the closest you can come to a runaway greenhouse effect in the next several thousand eons is on a planet in our solar system not named earth.

The storm winds increase / atmospheric moisture increase / rainfall increase you sight only looks at the tiniest snapshot in time. To extrapolate this to a significant change or reason for alarm is shortsighted at best. To allow any related alarm to affect our economy is....well I think you get the idea. We have gone round and round on this.

What level of economic impact would you propose to fix the problem you believe to be occurring? How much change in global weather change do you think such proposals would make?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What level of economic impact would you propose to fix the problem you believe to be occurring? How much change in global weather change do you think such proposals would make?

The economic impact is debatable over a long time period as the dislocation of people and hardening of waterfront cities . I have little problem with carbon tax of several $100B a year in the US. The proceeds of which would go to tax credits for energy efficiency. But that assumes Government would be efficient or rational. So my more realistic hope follows.

I *hope* Tesla and technology forces a massive shift to electric cars/trucks/self driving vehicles. And battery technology in cars allows for many vehicles to store energy for peak demand periods. I saw an article where in Europe some electric company was paying up to like $1800 a year for people who charged their cars during non-peak and then discharged back to the grid during peak. If I were starting off again I would work on thermo-electric conversion of geothermal heat to electricity. In my opinion, we desperately need to break the carbon cycle for global warming as well as get away from use of coal for what it puts into the atmosphere.

I think there would be little change for the better decades as the CO2 we have put into the atmosphere isn't going away fast. Again, https://gtswarm.com/threads/2015-warmest-year-on-record.9039/page-10#post-305120 has a lot more (including the bolded in answer to your post that has to be expanded to be seen).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The economic impact is debatable over a long time period as the dislocation of people and hardening of waterfront cities . I have little problem with carbon tax of several $100B a year in the US. The proceeds of which would go to tax credits for energy efficiency. But that assumes Government would be efficient or rational. So my more realistic hope follows.

I *hope* Tesla and technology forces a massive shift to electric cars/trucks/self driving vehicles. And battery technology in cars allows for many vehicles to store energy for peak demand periods. I saw an article where in Europe some electric company was paying up to like $1800 a year for people who charged their cars during non-peak and then discharged back to the grid during peak. If I were starting off again I would work on thermo-electric conversion of geothermal heat to electricity. In my opinion, we desperately need to break the carbon cycle for global warming as well as get away from use of coal for what it puts into the atmosphere.

I think there would be little change for the better decades as the CO2 we have put into the atmosphere isn't going away fast. Again, https://gtswarm.com/threads/2015-warmest-year-on-record.9039/page-10#post-305120 has a lot more (including the bolded in answer to your post that has to be expanded to be seen).

How many hundred billion a year in taxes for this exactly? How much affect would this endeavor have lowering temp? How many degrees will the global temp be reduced by? And what do you predict the economic impact would be from that?

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
As a person who is admittedly out of my element in this discussion I do have one question. What is the problem with shifting to cleaner forms of energy? I see no drawback with the minor financial impact to switching to electric cars and solar and wind and geo thermal energy. What could it hurt? I understand that some may not think it would have any impact on climate change but for sure you could agree it wouldn't hurt.

Animal02

Banned
As a person who is admittedly out of my element in this discussion I do have one question. What is the problem with shifting to cleaner forms of energy? I see no drawback with the minor financial impact to switching to electric cars and solar and wind and geo thermal energy. What could it hurt? I understand that some may not think it would have any impact on climate change but for sure you could agree it wouldn't hurt.
If normal economics dictates it, sure.....not if it is government pushed by a pseudo science.
All the alternative sources require massive subsidies to make it worth while.
There is no impact on climate change. The computer models cannot replicate past Climate, let alone the future. Not to mention the falsification of data. I have a cousin who is a professor at Princeton, heavily invested in "climate change" She dropped me on FB, every was emotion based......she could not refute opposing data......so she ran away.