2015 NFL Draft Combine

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Isn't it partially his agent's job to get him an invitation? On paper he deserves an invite, but if someone isn't working behind the scenes you can't just assume he'll go...

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure if you all saw this in the rotoworld site. An analysis of Shaq in the Senior Bowl:

Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech - This is a big projection since Mason likely took more pass protection reps than he did during his entire GaTech career. The early returns were not great, including Mason struggling on to his block like a water skier hanging on to the handle despite falling down. Mason improved during practice, although it did not show in the game. He is already a mauling run blocker. Some teams could view Mason as a C.

Mauling run blocker that has a lot of work at pass protection. Hopefully he will show up on Senior Day and show even more progress. Rooting for this guy big time.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Combine results
GRADE
2552627.jpg

DeAndre Smelter (WO38)
HT: 6'2" WT: 226LBS.

POSITION: WR

SCHOOL: Georgia Tech

ARM LENGTH: 32 5/8"

HANDS: 11"

COMBINE RESULTS

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Big receiver with physicality to match. On hitch routes, showed shake to make first defender miss and also showed he can punish defenders with a stiff-arm. Talented after the catch. His football intelligence really stands out. Has understanding of leverage within his routes and will adjust his route to counter the defender's actions. Able to create separation underneath by pushing cornerbacks with good route speed. Consistently worked back to quarterback when plays got off schedule. Uses wide frame to box out cornerbacks on back-shoulder throws near the boundary. Wins when ball is in the air with physicality, body control, well-timed leaps and strong hands. Capable run blocker. Great competitor with mature background.

WEAKNESSES
Suffered an ACL tear late in season and timetable for 2015 return is uncertain. Average foot quickness for his size, which could lead to some slowness in release against press coverage. Takes an extra step to gear down into breaks. Played just two seasons of college football. Limited exposure to full route tree in Georgia Tech's triple-option offense. Overly reliant on size and body control for catches. Ability to separate from athletic cornerbacks is a concern for scouts and has been exacerbated thanks to ACL tear.

SOURCES TELL US
"I hate that he tore his ACL. We throw the phrase 'athlete' and 'competitor' around quite a bit in this business, but he embodies that. If he hadn't had a shoulder problem, I think we would be talking about him as a major leaguer right now." -- NFC Area scout

NFL COMPARISON
Eric Decker

BOTTOM LINE
Like Eric Decker, Smelter is a former baseball player with outstanding hand-eye coordination. Both will have entered the draft with questions lingering about a season-ending injury (Lisfranc for Decker). Smelter is an uber-athlete with a background of excellence in every sport he has played. He plays well beyond his experience level at wide receiver. His toughness, natural instincts and football intelligence should earn him a spot on a depth chart, provided there are no lasting effects from his ACL tear.

-Lance Zierlein

I don't see Eric Decker at all. Anquan Bolden or super sized Steve Smith maybe. Smelter has foam finger hands. I'm pretty sure this is the largest at the combine.

GRADE
2552408.jpg

Darren Waller (WO41)
HT: 6'6" WT: 238LBS.

POSITION: WR

SCHOOL: Georgia Tech

ARM LENGTH: 33 1/4"

HANDS: 9"

COMBINE RESULTS

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Yet another Georgia Tech receiver with great length. Plays to his height. Gathers himself and boxes out defenders on fades and jump balls. Uses long arms and gets on his ladder to sky over cornerbacks and high point throws. Effortless strider with untapped vertical speed to go yard. Plus body control. Usually gets two feet in bounds on sideline throws. Plucks the ball with extended hands. Doesn't fear hits from safeties. Almost impossible to guard on back-shoulder throws. Confident and competitive when the ball is in the air.

WEAKNESSES
Will lose speed when turning to locate ball. Shield blocker in run game, giving very modest effort by Georgia Tech standards. Raw route runner with limited exposure to complex routes. Rounds off in-breaking and out routes. Needs improved understanding of leverage and how to create separation with it. Allows smaller cornerbacks to crowd him. Forced just two pass-interference calls over the last two seasons. Limited production and targets over career.

NFL COMPARISON
Brian Quick

BOTTOM LINE
Late bloomer who is faster than quick and has coveted size-speed combination. Waller isn't just a tall receiver, he has legitimate hands and body control and can impose his size on mismatched cornerbacks. Waller has a low floor, but with a little more competitive fire and technique work, he could become a legitimate touchdown maker in the league.

Been posted before... Extremely small hands (he can't eat a whopper) pretty accurate assessment imo

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
"Forced just two pass-interference calls over the last two seasons. Limited production and targets over career."

Please tell me NFL people don't look at that stuff. First, we don't throw the ball much, and second he wasn't the primary target most of those games (which is a separate issue). But for God's sake, to steal baseball terminology, stop scouting a stat line, particularly one that is as subjective as pass interference. That's just lazy.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
"Forced just two pass-interference calls over the last two seasons. Limited production and targets over career."

Please tell me NFL people don't look at that stuff. First, we don't throw the ball much, and second he wasn't the primary target most of those games (which is a separate issue). But for God's sake, to steal baseball terminology, stop scouting a stat line, particularly one that is as subjective as pass interference. That's just lazy.

Don't read to much into it. Its just a stat.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

YES! and no. You're absolutely right that the raw stats of targets and penalties against have to be contextualized for our offense and the fact that he's been playing with Smelter as the #1 target. Still, I think there's some significance in these stats in that Waller didn't demand more targets.

Overall, I thought the assessment reflected a pretty good take on Waller's career, especially the weaknesses identified up to the point you began your quote. I probably would've said more here.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hate Shaq didn't make the list.
The views on Waller's blocking technique are on target. He really just go downfield and kind of push at somebody and at the NFL level that somebody will rip an arm off. But he at least has a chance because most of the analysis is good.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@Gil_Brandt: 2 WRs at #NFLCombine had final college years in which they had 0 catchable-ball drops:

--> Geremy Davis (44/44)
--> Darren Waller (26/26)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@BryanDFischer: WR DeAndre Smelter has some mitts: 11 inch hands best of an receiver. Amari Cooper and Todd Gurley both with 10 in. hands.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@ChadParsonsNFL: DeAndre Smelter broke the projection model scoring with those 11" bear claws today. Time to recalibrate.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Yeah I assume they mean his sz should've have him made more physically tough for DBs to handle 1on1

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This was something he did late in his career. I know he forced one at the Orange Bowl. When was the other?
I see some supposed NFL draft guru -- I thought they all worked for ESPN, or so the network thinks -- claims Waller is a better athlete than Smelter. No, he actually said that according to the AJC. Even addressing that is exploring the unexplorable.