2015 NFL Draft Combine

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yesssss. Everyone is assuming that being invited to the combine is the equivalent of a laying on go hands.

I remember when the NFL started individual introductions of players back in the '70's. My favorite was always perennial all-Pro DT Otis Sistrunk of the Raiders. He would always say, "Otis Sistrunk, University of Mars." And everyone believed him.

Shaq will get drafted and some team somewhere will be giving Bella Lugoisi gloat laughs when they get him.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Shaq will get added now; this was just announced:

Two prospects declined their NFL Combine invites: #Wisconsin TE Sam Arneson and #TexasAM OG Garrett Gramling. Both have chosen to retire

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Shaq will get added now; this was just announced:

Two prospects declined their NFL Combine invites: #Wisconsin TE Sam Arneson and #TexasAM OG Garrett Gramling. Both have chosen to retire
Not sure that "retire" is the appropriate description at the age of 22 or so, but quit playing, certainly. Good for them, to walk away after good college careers with, as far as they know now, their health intact. A lot of personal discipline there.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just because you don't get invited to the combine doesn't mean you won't get drafted or get signed by an NFL team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/columns/story?id=4938074

Chill out people. You guys are missing the obvious here...GT has TWO WRs at the combine. WIDE RECEIVERS from a triple option offense!!! David Cutcliffe can suck it!

Thanks for the link. Had to read down a ways through all the anecdotes but over last 10 years 39.3 players on average of the 256 who have been drafted who didn't go to the combine. That's only 15%.

So the odds go way down since about 67% who go to the combine get drafted. (=(256 drafted-39.3 non-combine)/325 average at combine).

Sucks since Shaq should be there. I would guess free agency picks up more than the non-combine draft. I can see Days having to walk on.

It would be cool to have two more GT WRs in the NFL.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I have always heard/read that the NFL has a model for each position. Fit the model, you are OK. Do not fit the model, to bad. Using the model requires no risk taking and not much thinking.
Some clubs are risk takers, see Pats, and some are not, see current Falcons. It will be interesting to see where the new Falcon admin falls.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Agreed; he made every All-American team there was (from 1st Team to 3rd Team) and even Mike Mayock said he'd did well at the Senior Bowl, and he works for the NFL Network and rarely says ANYTHING nice about any player coming from our Offense. Total BS.

Mayock is one of the best in the business. If he rarely says anything nice about our offensive prospects I'd say it has more to do with them just flat out not being that talented rather than anything having to do with our offense. The persecution complex on here is getting a little tired.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I find it ironic that the NFL has in its Hall of Fame guys like John Hannah (6-2 265) and Dan Dierdorf (6-3 275) that wouldn't even get considered now due to "measureables". Hannah would have likely been excluded on height alone.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just because you don't get invited to the combine doesn't mean you won't get drafted or get signed by an NFL team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/columns/story?id=4938074

Chill out people. You guys are missing the obvious here...GT has TWO WRs at the combine. WIDE RECEIVERS from a triple option offense!!! David Cutcliffe can suck it!
Just to be explicitly clear... Duke had 1 WR invited. Last I checked 1 WR is less than 2 WR.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Some clubs are risk takers, see Pats, and some are not, see current Falcons. It will be interesting to see where the new Falcon admin falls.

The new falcons admin is the old admin. It hasn't changed. Only the coaching staff which apparently will have little more if any more say in the draft. If the falcons draft any of our guys I'll have a stroke due to shock.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Mayock is one of the best in the business. If he rarely says anything nice about our offensive prospects I'd say it has more to do with them just flat out not being that talented rather than anything having to do with our offense. The persecution complex on here is getting a little tired.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. He has historically had a problem with players coming out of our program, REGARDLESS of whether they're from the offensive, or the defensive, side of the Line of Scrimmage.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Synjyn "Davis" and Isaiah Johnson are also listed under "Other Snubs" for RB and Safety.

I can see both of those guys, but Shaquille has been good for years. Consistently good, and better as he gains experience. He's a great athlete in a big body, and if he had 3 more inches he would've been invited. He'll get drafted and have a ten year career.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Falcon's are moving to a zone blocking scheme which puts a premium on mobile OLs. Kyle Shanahan is now the OC, and Shaq Mason is the type of OL that scheme covets. Chip Kelly's offense also requires quick and fast OLs. He's still not the "ideal" height, but I would be SHOCKED if Mason isn't in someone's camp and doesn't make a roster. Too much talent, and he's a great run blocker. Shaq is an ideal guy to have on roster for depth the first season or so as he transitions to the demands of the next level. As he showed at the Senior Bowl, he's also a quick learner.