2015 MLB Draft - 8-10 June

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
2 days to go and no report of signing Hughes ........

Android-KitKat-fingers-crossed.jpg

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Adds another strong arm to the team. I feel like almost all of the freshmen pitchers could come in and contribute this season. One will likely be a midweek starter with the possibility of another one being a weekend starter. Then the others could definitely help out of the bullpen this coming year. I think I read somewhere that Lee only walked 2 or 3 guys all season long this past year and Hughes only walked 4. I think English is up there with them as far as control goes and he has some nasty stuff. Gibson played basketball in HS, so he may have the most upside once he fully concentrates on baseball. Delaney and Carpenter are also very talented pitchers who led their HS teams to the State Championship series'. Add all these new arms to several key returning guys, and I am cautiously, but extremely optimistic for next spring.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Definitely some good news. If we can avoid the injury bug for once and a lot of regression we should have a pretty deep and talented pitching staff next year.

Makes you wonder if this and Gooden's departure aren't related. Gotta find that scholarship somewhere.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Adds another strong arm to the team. I feel like almost all of the freshmen pitchers could come in and contribute this season. One will likely be a midweek starter with the possibility of another one being a weekend starter. Then the others could definitely help out of the bullpen this coming year. I think I read somewhere that Lee only walked 2 or 3 guys all season long this past year and Hughes only walked 4. I think English is up there with them as far as control goes and he has some nasty stuff. Gibson played basketball in HS, so he may have the most upside once he fully concentrates on baseball. Delaney and Carpenter are also very talented pitchers who led their HS teams to the State Championship series'. Add all these new arms to several key returning guys, and I am cautiously, but extremely optimistic for next spring.

Frickin fabulous. When I'm not on Kindle I'll say more. But there is vodka to drink at the pool first:)

It's a lot like a bet, you only know the odds are good but have to wait to see!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Later on the pitchers post, I'll put down stats about our pitchers this year. By far our best year for pitchers in I don't know how long. Will they work out? Odds are good that some will...... the next three years look much better.

But I had to confirm this for myself and found this post: http://www.masnsports.com/steve-mel...t-sign-second-round-pick-jonathan-hughes.html

What really pisses me off is that a MLB team gets compensated when they can't sign a player. So even if they don't offer anywhere close to the slot value, the MLB can bankroll players to the next year. Not only does the MLB team "own" the player for a year and prevent him from going to another team, they get compensated next year. So much for the players having much bargaining power or control. Oh well, he who has the money rules. "Hughes was the No. 68 overall selection in the draft. The Orioles will receive the 69th overall pick in the 2016 draft as compensation, per MLBpipeline.com, which first reported the news."