2015 MLB Draft - 8-10 June

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
There are many examples of guys that went into the Minors straight from high school and then ended up going back to college and playing football. Jake was coming to Tech on a football scholarship, not baseball.

When I read @GruffyMcGuiness post the first person that popped up in my head was Chris Weinke (FSU). Didn't have time to respond because of work.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When I read @GruffyMcGuiness post the first person that popped up in my head was Chris Weinke (FSU). Didn't have time to respond because of work.
There are a ton of kids that have done this. Weinke was the highest profile because he won the Heisman at 28 or 29 yrs. old. The QB from Oklahoma State, Quincy Carter, etc. I'm sure there are some that aren't quarterbacks, but those are the first to come to mind. I think Elway may have also played one summer.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't there an ACC QB who wanted to play during his minor league baesball offseason or something like that

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Russell Wilson.

Charlie was a basketball player, played with the NY Knicks. He's the only Heisman winner in the modern era to not be drafted by the NFL, and that's because he was going to the NBA.

Russell Wilson was my second guess. Charlie Ward did get drafted in MLB but that was after football (just looked it up). I was thinking he was the first before Wilson. Thanks @forensicbuzz for clearing that up(y)

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
From Perfect Game rankings for 2015 that were updated just before the draft:
Nat'l Rank Name Position (Georgia Rank)
6 Tyler Stephenson C (2)
39 Tristin English RHP (8)
51 Brandt Stallings OF (11)
120 Joey Bart C (15)
125 Keyton Gibson RHP (16)
142 Jonathan Hughes RHP (18)
270 Carter Hall SS/2B (34)
384 Bobby Gauvreau RHP (40)
500 Micah Carpenter RHP (86)
500 Burton Dulaney RHP (96)
500 Jake Lee RHP (102)
T-1000 Robert Winborne 2B (159)
High-Follow Kyle Jaworski LHP
High-Follow Will Galloway C
Unranked Brian Moore SS

*Italics means player has signed professional contract
**Red means player was drafted

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
6 Tyler Stephenson C (2)
120 Joey Bart C (15)
500 Jake Lee RHP (102)
Unranked Brian Moore SS

Thanks much for the data with rankings since I have the rankings for every year since 2008..... I'll use it to update my data from June 2014, hopefully sometime this weekend. I color code based on Perfect Game rankings so this helps.

One note, I see that Hughes has signed but apparently has not yet negotiated a signing bonus. Any hope he'll come to GT? http://beesball.com/draft2015.html I wouldn't think that signing is really consummated until the $ are done.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks much for the data with rankings since I have the rankings for every year since 2008..... I'll use it to update my data from June 2014, hopefully sometime this weekend. I color code based on Perfect Game rankings so this helps.

One note, I see that Hughes has signed but apparently has not yet negotiated a signing bonus. Any hope he'll come to GT? http://beesball.com/draft2015.html I wouldn't think that signing is really consummated until the $ are done.

Hughes is gone. I believe his bonus was in the 900k-1mil range per him. Bart and English could possibly still sign if the Rays or Indians are able to save an extra 800k-1.2mil to offer them after all their first 10 round picks are signed (highly unlikely).

Looking forward to the pitchers coming in. English/Gibson/Gauvreau all can throw in the 92-95 range while Lee/Carpenter/Dulaney are around 88-90. Jaworski adds a LH arm with some good potential. This group should add some quality depth as well as possibly one weekend starter and a mid-week starter.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hughes is gone. I believe his bonus was in the 900k-1mil range per him. Bart and English could possibly still sign if the Rays or Indians are able to save an extra 800k-1.2mil to offer them after all their first 10 round picks are signed (highly unlikely).

Looking forward to the pitchers coming in. English/Gibson/Gauvreau all can throw in the 92-95 range while Lee/Carpenter/Dulaney are around 88-90. Jaworski adds a LH arm with some good potential. This group should add some quality depth as well as possibly one weekend starter and a mid-week starter.

I'll be doing a separate post on 2016 GT pitching with all the players I know about.

Now I understand why English may have been drafted in 39th round...... to keep the option open. My friend whose son was drafted this year in the 19th round as a senior will get no signing bonus. The notional amount is $100K but the MLB recognizes that SRs have no choice and are their rights are owned by the drafting team.

Here's a real good Forbes article "Money Extremely Limited For College Seniors Seeking To Play Professional Baseball" from last year about how MLB manages it's signing bonus money ..... basically as HS or Jr you have some leverage, but otherwise you get to live the dream for $1500 a month*.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenh...eniors-seeking-to-play-professional-baseball/

I guess we have till the 18th of July to find out for sure whether English is coming ..... Beesball does have him coming but money talks .... http://beesball.com/draft2015.html.

PS - * thinking about this article, I have to say I may have been wrong about Heddinger's decision to leave the team early. His decision may have been a good one to take $100K as a Jr or nothing as a Sr. So it may have been a good financial decision to leave depending on his time commitment to play in the minors. I don't like this conclusion since it further weakens college baseball talent. Don't confuse me with someone who knows much about college baseball. I became interested a few years ago and learn new stuff all the time and feel free to correct me.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be doing a separate post on 2016 GT pitching with all the players I know about.

Now I understand why English may have been drafted in 39th round...... to keep the option open. My friend whose son was drafted this year in the 19th round as a senior will get no signing bonus. The notional amount is $100K but the MLB recognizes that SRs have no choice and are their rights are owned by the drafting team.

Here's a real good Forbes article "Money Extremely Limited For College Seniors Seeking To Play Professional Baseball" from last year about how MLB manages it's signing bonus money ..... basically as HS or Jr you have some leverage, but otherwise you get to live the dream for $1500 a month*.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenh...eniors-seeking-to-play-professional-baseball/

I guess we have till the 18th of July to find out for sure whether English is coming ..... Beesball does have him coming but money talks .... http://beesball.com/draft2015.html.

PS - * thinking about this article, I have to say I may have been wrong about Heddinger's decision to leave the team early. His decision may have been a good one to take $100K as a Jr or nothing as a Sr. So it may have been a good financial decision to leave depending on his time commitment to play in the minors. I don't like this conclusion since it further weakens college baseball talent. Don't confuse me with someone who knows much about college baseball. I became interested a few years ago and learn new stuff all the time and feel free to correct me.

Pretty spot on. My co-worker's son was drafted in the 28th round this year as a RS Jr and signed for 50K. Pretty much as a senior, to get any meaningful money, you would have to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. Since the draft rules have changed the past couple of years, you'll notice teams draft seniors more in the 9th-10th rounds because they know they will sign for any amount and not use full slot money. The extra slot money they don't sign for can then be used towards either other earlier oicks or any pick from round 11-40. Heddinger probably made the best decision for himself. Clay's decision was strange as he was just a Soph and had much more leverage. I guess he thought he wouldn't get more than the (around) 400k $ he got last year again.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
6 Tyler Stephenson C (2)
120 Joey Bart C (15)
500 Jake Lee RHP (102)
Unranked Brian Moore SS

Well, I need to make an update. As of today, Jonathan Hughes has not signed with the Orioles. There is still almost 3 weeks for him to sign, but there remains a possibility he may not sign with the Orioles and end up at GT next month. That would add another strong arm to the class.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hearing some rumblings that the negotiations between Hughes and the Orioles are not going so well. Could be good news for our Jackets.

Maybe .... here's what this link http://www.camdenchat.com/2015/6/8/...lts-2015-orioles-second-round-jonathan-hughes said
"The slot value for this pick is $907,000.

This is the second consecutive pick that was, on its face, a bit of a head-scratcher for reaching for players. Are they planning to go over-slot later on in the draft, or will one of their existing players prove to be an unexpected over-slot signing? We will find out."

So this makes it sound like the O's were never planning to give Hughes the full slot value of $907K. That could lead to longer negotiations ..... or am I reading this wrong? In any event we should know by 17 July. And we'll see how much at this MLB site ...... http://m.mlb.com/news/article/130246508/2015-draft-signing-and-bonus-tracker which is real interesting to see some teams give bonuses above and some below the slot value .... I know it's complex making the whole team's payroll work.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I checked the MLB signings to date ..... seems that about 11 out of the top 100, including Hughes, haven't signed. 12 days to go. Probably be a lot of signings on 17 July?

Also looking down the list at 300+, you can see those seniors who got $10,000 or less in a $100K slot. I still think that if the MLB teams aren't going to honor the slot amount, that the payers should be free to sell their services to other teams .......

Russell Wilson.

Charlie was a basketball player, played with the NY Knicks. He's the only Heisman winner in the modern era to not be drafted by the NFL, and that's because he was going to the NBA.
Charlie Ward beat Tech twice in one physical year in two sports. Fourth quarter come back in FB at Grant Field and last second shot going around Travis Best to win at
Alexander. I never got over that and have never liked him. He's one great college athlete.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Wow some of the kids looked to be getting hosed. Guess it was a risk they took or bloomed during that senior year.

Also, guess that they could not accept and "sit" a year and get drafted next year.