2015 MLB Draft - 8-10 June

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Stephenson is gone (odds are essentially 0% to come to GT from post #12). Looking at the past years, you aren't selected that high with the bonus unless you've given them the number it will take to get you to sign. @Squints in post #10 had it nailed.

But while getting him would have been great, it's the pitchers and only the pitchers I'm worried about.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First day and 75 picks done (2 rounds).

We also lost Jonathan Hughes in the second round (68th pick) to the Orioles program. Losing an elite prospect RHP really sucks. He can always go to college and with the benefits, why not wait? If it were my kid, I'd support him going to the minors as a high draft pick (top 4 rounds with $.5M+ bonus). Especially pitchers who can screw up their arms / shoulders. He probably won't play for years in the MLB for years, but he gets a good bonus.

The good news I guess is that Tristin English (RHP), Brandt Stallings (1B) and Joey Bart (C) weren't picked up. Yet.

Plus King, Ryan and Gonzalez haven't been drafted yet either. I don't think we'll see them go till tomorrow and then the money probably isn't worth it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bummer to lose a top pitching prospect. I can deal with losing a position player...our guys are not bad, so even a great position player is only a slight upgrade which wouldn't have changed our W-L record much. To change our W-L record, you have to stop getting run ruled, and that means pitching.

I will admit to still being very alarmed about the pitchers we have been recruiting to GT or the coaching they are getting. The frosh we saw last year (and few of them saw any playing time at all) did not impress. Meanwhile, teams like Louisiana-Lafayette had their entire starting weekend rotation as true freshmen, as well as their top reliever. And they competed, won their conference tournament, won their regional and competed very impressively against LSU in the Supers. The three starters were all local kids from the Lafayette, Louisiana, area. Is that luck? Is that good coaching? Is it the water in Cajun Country? Someone 'splain that to me!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I watched the end of the TCU / A&M game. The pitching depth on those teams is phenomenal. But as I posted earlier, it helps to come from a high population state (Ca, Texas, Fl) where the in-state tuition and limited full ride scholarships makes the cost of college a lot less.

I think this could be the end for Hall. It doesn't matter how good of coach he and the staff are, they need to get commits who will stick. Otherwise it's only eye candy. BTW, here's what we lost in Hughes http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/67565098/v132086883/draft-report-jonathan-hughes-hs-pitcher

But to argue the other side like we have discussed in the thread on GT Pitching ..... the coaching staff has developed and put a lot of players into the minors. What is the absolute killer is developing someone like Heddinger who comes on at the end of a season after doing little for the team and leaves early. Absolute worst situation for a team - hurts the team while he is developing and sucking up valuable playing time and then bolts for a lousy $100K.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Tristin English's Twitter sounds like he's foregoing the draft and coming to Tech. Good news. Kid pitched a 3 hit shutout and K'd 12 against a loaded Whitewater team in his last high school start.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tristin English's Twitter sounds like he's foregoing the draft and coming to Tech. Good news. Kid pitched a 3 hit shutout and K'd 12 against a loaded Whitewater team in his last high school start.

I'm sure that is it ... we are through 8+ rounds to 261 and have only lost Stephenson and Hughes by my perusal of the MLB listing and Perfect Game updates. The best example of a great player wanting to come to GT and telling the scouts so was Kel last year - if he had wanted to go, he would have gone high. These kids coming to GT rather than go to the minors make it easy to root for our team.

So looking good to keep everyone else right now ..... but that's only my opinion. It'll be real interesting to see where Jonathon King and Zac Attack go. I doubt they will leave but expect them to be drafted tomorrow.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's an article from yesterday:

Tech appearances in MLB draft may be few http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/06/08/tech-appearances-in-mlb-draft-may-be-few/

Good article, seems the facts match up what has been posted here largely ;) I like Sugiura's articles overall since they usually have a lot of meat.

This article was written Monday night and Ken speculated that Bart and English would be gone if they were drafted in the 100's. Since then we have gone through the 10th round and 315 picks and they weren't drafted. (y)(y) But I think that getting drafted high has everything to do with the players having communicated to the scouts that they want to go to to the minors more than college; yes the players have to have the talent but the teams won't "waste" a draft pick on a kid who won't come.

I have a friend who's son was drafted yesterday in the ninth round as a college senior. He had about 10 different teams calling and talking to him about what he wanted. There is a tremendous amount of communication in baseball and I think a large part of the reason that essentially all of the HS players drafted in the top 10 rounds go to the minors is that the deal is set to start with.

The stark reality though is that if you are drafted below the 10th round, the odds of ever playing in the MLB are very low. From post #1 & #2, it's pretty clear to me at least that if a player goes from HS to the minors, his odds of playing anytime soon are very low - only 3 (2%) of the 2012 HS draftees who went directly have even tasted the MLB and only 6 (4%) from 2011 draft. As my friend said, the minor leagues are a puppy mill. Unless you get that great signing bonus :greedy: or aren't going to college anyway, going to the minors from HS is actuarially a bad financial move.

The kids who have committed with us are obviously college material and didn't get selected high. So I'm optimistic going into the last day of the draft ....... but ....... I think the competitiveness of our team next year depends on getting English and not losing King or Ryan.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
MG refused some "potential offers", pretty sure that is a big reason he hasn't been picked yet, nor most likely will be.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great that it's done! Here's my summary (did I miss anyone?) it's from http://www.perfectgame.org/all_americans/2015/allamerica.aspx and http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2015/drafttracker.jsp#ft=school&fv=g :

Current players
:
AJ 14th round, #410; Spignola 31st, #923.
Good news is that King, Ryan and Gonzo are with us next year. They probably told the scouts to **** themselves. (y)

HS "commits":
Stephenson 1st round #11. gone. gone. gone.
Jonathon Hughes - 2nd round 68th. 95% gone.
Joey Bart (c) - 27th round to Rays. 90% to GT.
Carter Hall (SS) - 34th round. 99% to GT.
Tristin English - 39th round. Is this an insult or what? The Indians could have always waited to the 40th round. 99.9% to GT.

We came out pretty good IMHO. The first day really sucked but we are going to have some good pitching next year with Gold, King, Ryan +? The ones who can come on include Parr, Ben S, English, Craport. Then who knows about Phillips, Gorst, Gooden and others including Carpenter, Dulaney, Gauvreaux, Gibson, Jaworski, Lee...... I say throw them all in the deep end and see who can swim. Hall needs to do a much better job of developing pitchers early in the season (like UVa did this year) so that we can compete at the end of the season when it matters.