2015 B-Back Inexperience

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I suddenly realized that our starting B-Back in 2015 will be a freshman. And so will his backup. This makes me nervous. When was the last time we were this inexperienced at B-Back going into a season?

2008 - 1st year of CPJ system. Jon Dwyer was a true sophomore who got some mop up playing time as a freshman in a different system.

2011 - David Sims was a redshirt sophomore who had just switched over from quarterback.

These are the only two years even comparable during the CPJ era. I don't think it is a coincidence that these are also the two seasons that the B-back had the lowest percentage of carries, and the QB the highest percentage of carries.

I'm not sure that 2008 would be a comparable season for 2015, as everything was new that year. I'm thinking that 2011 might be. Tevin Washington really carried a lot of the offense that season. I'm kinda expecting Justin Thomas to do the same next season.

If you were a defensive coordinator against Tech in 2015, would you try to take the ball out of the QB's hand and make the inexperienced B-back beat you?

PERCENTAGE OF RUSHING ATTEMPTS
Season B-Back QB A-Back Others Total

2014 44.18% 29.75% 24.81% 1.27% 100.00%

2013 39.97% 32.68% 25.25% 2.10% 100.00%

2012 36.51% 33.79% 28.47% 1.24% 100.00%

2011 31.20% 40.95% 25.49% 2.37% 100.00%

2010 37.98% 38.38% 22.71% 0.93% 100.00%

2009 34.60% 37.50% 24.75% 3.16% 100.00%

2008 33.59% 42.34% 21.56% 2.50% 100.00%

Avg 35.64% 37.61% 24.70% 2.05% 100.00%

GT_Johnnybodkin

Jolly Good Fellow
I think experience obviously matters- but pretty much every B-Back that has started for Tech has performed for us (C. Perkins withstanding due to injuries). Dwyer, Allen, Lyons, Sims, Laskey, Days. The position seems to be one that does well b/c of the system (Similar to Oregon and their ability to have good QB-play, the system helps). Not trying to take anything away from our Bbacks- but I'm not that worried.

What does worry me is A-back blocking due to lack of experience.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
The good part is that if executed correctly, we're supposed to have a numbers advantage on every play. We've got a qb that has shown an ability to consistently make the right read. Go look at Adrian peterson's mind-boggling numbers from his freshman year at Georgia southern when he was paired with an experienced offensive line and a good option quarterback.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … the backup BB might be Swilling. True, it would be his first year in that position, but he's had 2 years in the system. If that happens, then the inexperience factor is less.

And I think it very well might. I know that last spring he was in against the 2nd and 3rd string D, but he was electric. Great speed in the open and a real knack for seeing a gap. Given the conditions that night, I was very impressed.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Ball security and blocking are the two things to worry about. CJ has had a year in the system, so hopefully he will have those things down by the end of spring.
Yup, this is where the lack of experience will hurt. Go back and watch the Orange Bowl and keep an eye on the mesh. JT was pulling the ball out when Days/Laskey were almost a full yard past him. If those guys had clamped down on the ball too early some of those could have ended up fumbles. How long til CJ and JT can get on the same page like that? Similarly at AB we need the young guys to learn to keep a good pitch relationship and always be ready for the ball to come their way.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
The difference in my mind is the OL. If they are getting push, then we will be successful. Does everyone remember all the blown up dive plays we had in seasons before the 2014 one? I can recall many, especially against VT. For some reason, I can't remember any from 2014. Sure we had plenty of experience at BB, but the OL wasn't letting too many lineman in the backfield.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
While we won't know till the pads start popping I'm not overly worried. CJ got a ton of reps last year and his talent level is evident. Quaide will get his share in spring and hopefully MLD will hit the ground running (pun intended). As long as the O line does its work the backs will be fine. The A back rotation will take a little time but at there is a decent amount of experience(not to mention talent) there, the freshmen will need to get up to speed with pitch relation and the like and, as I've said, blocking is more want to than technique. Technique can be taught, not so much with want to.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yup, this is where the lack of experience will hurt. Go back and watch the Orange Bowl and keep an eye on the mesh. JT was pulling the ball out when Days/Laskey were almost a full yard past him. If those guys had clamped down on the ball too early some of those could have ended up fumbles. How long til CJ and JT can get on the same page like that? Similarly at AB we need the young guys to learn to keep a good pitch relationship and always be ready for the ball to come their way.

I have never understood how the quarterback and B back get this right 99 percent of the time. I don't see how the B back knows in a split second if he is really getting the ball and needs to grab it hard or if it will be pulled. But I'm just happy that with practice it never seems to be much of a problem.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Good eye. On one play, maybe on the third TD drive of the second half, he and Days almost had a rasslin' match with Days already past him. And a good point. Running and blocking, yes. In sync, just as important. Wonder if spring training will be like Johnson and Nesbitt's first spring camp game?
thanks for posting this. And tell me again: who started this nonsense about it being a "high school" offense? The piece gives me a greater appreciation for how well Thomas runs it, and an understanding of why he was not ready to step in fulltime as a freshman, and why we are lucky to have Byerly because it is going to be very hard for Jordan to reach his level this quickly.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Running back is one of the easier positions to be a freshman playing. There have been a lot of frosh impact RBs over the years. In our offense, it might be a little more delicate, but not crazily so. The running portion of the BB position will probably see very little drop off. It is all the other ancillary stuff that is the concern.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing that makes me a little comfortable about our BB position is that CJ Leggett was, from reports, VERY close to playing last season. Had Synjyn not played to All ACC levels (which he literally did), CJ's redshirt probably would have been burned.

Another thing that makes me comfortable about the BB position is that our OL is just a machine right now. I think they're playing at a level where our BB and QB is going to have great production.

Boomer makes good point, it's the ancillary things that BBs are responsible for that kinda makes you worried. Will they be able to pick up their blocks in pass pro? Are they going make the right key reads?

I think CJ will be fine because he's been in the system for a year, but our backups is where the nervousness comes in.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
How many years did Synjyn play at B-back? He knew the system and was athletic enough to play any skill position on the field, sure, but my point is still valid. He played well enough this year to at least talk to NFL scouts, a feat many of us would have laughed at this time last year...

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Agree ball security and blocking are key.

Also BB needs to make a presnap read on the meshpoint to be on same page as QB.

The yardage will be there. But drives are killed with missed blocks, fumbles, and not getting yds by missing the meshpoint read (also can cause fumble).

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
How many years did Synjyn play at B-back? He knew the system and was athletic enough to play any skill position on the field, sure, but my point is still valid. He played well enough this year to at least talk to NFL scouts, a feat many of us would have laughed at this time last year...

When he originally signed, he played running back as a senior in some high-school all-star game. I think won the MVP of the game. I honestly thought at that time that he was too thick and not quick enough to play A-back and not a good enough thrower to be a QB. I figured he'd wind up at B-back. Given his success the last part of his senior year at that position, it makes you wonder why we didn't try him there earlier. Oh well.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
When he originally signed, he played running back as a senior in some high-school all-star game. I think won the MVP of the game. I honestly thought at that time that he was too thick and not quick enough to play A-back and not a good enough thrower to be a QB. I figured he'd wind up at B-back. Given his success the last part of his senior year at that position, it makes you wonder why we didn't try him there earlier. Oh well.

Agree that earlier in the 2014 season would have been better than mid season (from depth concerns if nothing else), but earlier than that would have put him behind other BB trys with Perkins, Snoddy, Sims, and Laskey. 1800 yards at BB in 2014 is outstanding as it was, and an earlier Days at BB in 2014 probably would have been a moderate improvement, but speculative at that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Before Leggett got injured I suspect coach was looking at CJ as the #2 BB in 2014 and fortunately Days' versatility worked out very well for the team when Laskey got nicked and CJ was able to RS. Maybe Days took one for the team, but that is who Days is.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It is entirely possible and even probable that Days was not prepared to play there any earlier. Any number of things would factor in, and while we tend to look at FSU or MSU at the end of the season, projecting backward, as you note, is easy and hard to challenge. (A guy cracks the starting nine and hits 20 dingers in the last half of the season and the fan extrapolates it to 40 "if...") The uncomfortable fact is the player hadn't earned the position. The answer to the imponderable lies with the coaches who see it for 2-3 hours every single day, from August through December. He was No. 2 until Laskey got hurt because he could not dislodge him. Besides which if he was going on 240 as he hinted at before GT's pro days, I'm not sure he could have made the weight class for A back.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

He had to prove he that he could hold onto the ball