2/16 Roll Call vs FSU (Post Game Ice Cream Party?)

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
I could say a lot about the FSU game, but just 3 points:

1. It's troubling that Pastner hasn't settled on a starting lineup--and the season is almost over.
2. There seems to be no offensive strategy. Banks was 1-9. Gueye was 1-6 on 2 point shots. 13% FG in close for big men is sad. 30 points in the first 33 minutes. 6 FT made in the last 3:13 kept the points scored more respectable than the offense actually was.
3. If Pastner doesn't make staff improvements when the season is over, I don't expect him to dig out of this hole.
I agree. The fact that our big men cannot make shots inside the paint is troubling. We have an excellent big man coach. I think we have excellent defensive coaches. I am troubled,however; by our lack of ability to shoot effectively, even from the foul line. I think we are making progress, especially with the young guys. Making an assistant coach change might help the development of our young guys. I believe in Pastner but it can be frustrating.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
So the silver linings.

Jose had a nice game which was very good to see.
Sjolund continues to cement himself as a 3 point threat which will be much needed and seems to be starting to understand the defensive side a bit more
Defense still held them to under 40% shooting and 30% from behind the arc. As frustrating as it is and as bleak as the outlook is for the future, as long as we have a good defense I see a chance of getting things going (not this year mind you).

The bad
Devoe did not have a good game. I'm not overly woried about it because freshmen will have ups and downs but was hoping he'd keep up his streak of good games.
AD and Banks were completely outmatched. I'm not surprised by this because of what FSU has, and thought it was the reason this is a bad matchup for us, but we need them to give us at least 20 combined points. They were 3-16 and just outmatched.
Alston playing 17 minutes. What really stood out to me was he had a break with Jose open on the other wing, and Alston puts his head down and banks the underside of the rim with the ball. Later Moore is in the exact same situation and drops it off to Jose for the layup. We have a lot of guys who make mistakes. But when Sjolund blows a defensive assignment at least he gives us a 3 point threat. When Moore is standing around too much at least he is gaining experience. When Wright bricks a 3, at least he brings length and athleticism to the other end. When Banks fumbles the ball away at least he is giving us a defensive presence. Same can be said for most of our team. But Alston gives us nothing and shouldn't be playing 7 minutes much less 17.

Going forward
For next year, defense should still be pretty good. Offensively I think we have the pieces to be solid if a year of experience can bring more consistency. Jose and Devoe have both shown at times of being able to be leading scorers. Banks and Sjolund should be able to give us nice complimentary scoring. If we could rely on those 4 to give us 50 or so then between Cole, Usher, Haywood, and Moore you would hope we could get 20 more on most days. However, even if experience brings consistency it's hard to really get by without someone who can go off for 25+ sometimes.
I agree 100%. We appear to have the pieces in place to become a solid offensive team. Hoping Wright, Cole, and Sjolund get stronger before next year and they should. We knew going in it would be tough. I am not turning my back on this team or the coach!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It was 6000 at capacity when I was in school and with morrison as coach we were lucky to have 2000 at the games.

Were you at the game when we had, if memory serves, 714 there?

Talk about hell coming true.

And in the then GT system of elitism, when we had paid security guards to prevent you from going to the center section with seat backs if you did not have the appropriate ticket. Those guys were still working and being paid on those nights.

Burned in my memory from that game, I saw a guy with his arms full of drinks and hot dogs (or something) and the guard would not let him go to his seat without, again, showing his ticket. The guy had to put his food on the floor of AMC walkway to find his ticket and show the guard.

Good times.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Were you at the game when we had, if memory serves, 714 there?

Talk about hell coming true.

And in the then GT system of elitism, when we had paid security guards to prevent you from going to the center section with seat backs if you did not have the appropriate ticket. Those guys were still working and being paid on those nights.

Burned in my memory from that game, I saw a guy with his arms full of drinks and hot dogs (or something) and the guard would not let him go to his seat without, again, showing his ticket. The guy had to put his food on the floor of AMC walkway to find his ticket and show the guard.

Good times.
I was treated like a red headed step child as a student and not much better as a fan/supporter when I got out (sorry, I meant to say graduated). It has been in Tech's DNA. Hopefully it will change under Tstan, CGC, and CJP with our new BRAND that is coming.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Close to going from ---Irrelevant to Embarrassing.
I knew it would be tough this yr losing top 3 scorers .I thought we might win 3 but I hoped for better.I really hoped that we would get one young hi school top 50 stud this yr but JP's screw-up with that criminal, the player suspension which started off a crummy yr, losing coaches and bad luck injuries to JA and Lammers.The negatives just built up.

The only way to get out of this mess is recruit MORE good transfers..Its too late to develop hischool players.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
We have four wins over P5 competition this year. Arkansas, Syracuse, Weak Forest & Notre Dame. Pitt, Miami & BC are all games we should have a legit chance to win. UVA is an unlikely win. NC State will probably beat us, but we could pull off the upset if they score 24 again. So we probably finish somewhere between 4-14 and 6-12. Believe that's where most of us thought we would likely finish this year once JO declared.

I'm disappointed we haven't had better success recruiting this year, but see hope for improvement next year. Devoe, Jose, CGB, Usher & Moore give us good talent on the perimeter. Banks should improve strength and post moves. Big question from my POV is whether Evan, Moses & Sjolund improve enough to shore up the other big / stretch 4.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
is it 7 games in a row now? from 3-3 to 3-10? I agree that we could/should beat Pitt, miami and BC, but a seven game losing streak coupled with what looks like a lack of belief/confidence that we can win or even that we can make 2 pt fgs, points to Tech probably losing out in ACC, which would look very bad. 6 wins would be about what we expected, but the lack of confidence in shooting makeable shots leads me to think we may win only one more game. I think the team and coaches could use a good sports psychologist. If we lose 12 ACC games in a row, would they consider making a coaching change?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Did y'all end up having the ice cream party?

More interesting that the game for me (which I missed for the sake of my insanity).

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Couple of comments ... Bench scoring GT = 7 / FSU = 35 and how about we teach our big guys to maybe think about using the backboard when in the paint, they seem to think they need to hit the back of the rim to score (clunk) ??????

slugboy

Staff member
Eh, kg02 had a soccer tourney. They balled outta control. I know you were wondering.

Do we have women's soccer at GT? Why don't I know that?

We’ve looked into it before. Don’t think it’s in the budget, though.

Women’s and men’s soccer is club level now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Went to the game. Was surrounded mostly by FSU fans. As others mentioned, that is one of the drawbacks of being in Atlanta. Atlanta is one of the largest (if not the largest) alumni base for half of the ACC and SEC programs. When we are bad and the other team is good, the crowd is anywhere from 50/50 to worse.

Once the game got out of hand early, at least I had fun trash talking all of the FSU fans in a non-serious, ridiculous fashion.

Alvarado's performance was about the only bright spot to me. And he didn't even play well. But, at least finally at the end, he seemed to get a spark back. When FSU unloaded their bench, he seemed to get a chip on his shoulder that has been missing for the last 5 weeks. He has just seemed mentally broken. Hopefully he is getting his mind right and swagger back.

GT11

GT Athlete
Went to the game. Was surrounded mostly by FSU fans. As others mentioned, that is one of the drawbacks of being in Atlanta. Atlanta is one of the largest (if not the largest) alumni base for half of the ACC and SEC programs. When we are bad and the other team is good, the crowd is anywhere from 50/50 to worse.

Once the game got out of hand early, at least I had fun trash talking all of the FSU fans in a non-serious, ridiculous fashion.

Alvarado's performance was about the only bright spot to me. And he didn't even play well. But, at least finally at the end, he seemed to get a spark back. When FSU unloaded their bench, he seemed to get a chip on his shoulder that has been missing for the last 5 weeks. He has just seemed mentally broken. Hopefully he is getting his mind right and swagger back.
Injuries do that to people