2/16 Roll Call vs FSU (Post Game Ice Cream Party?)

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Another game were we can't score regularly. At least Jose made a few shots today.

Even shooting 8/23 from 3ppit land, we ended up staying 27.1% for the game.

Got out rebounded 50 to 38.

... Sigh
Getting outrebounded against FSU doesn't bother me as much as our complete ineptness on offense. We can't make shots and we don't run any sort of offense to find easy shots

Deleted member 2897

Got blown out in basketball and baseball today. Sad.

Was only able to watch the YouTube highlights. Seemingly every FSU play was on Sjolunds man. Sad.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I could say a lot about the FSU game, but just 3 points:

1. It's troubling that Pastner hasn't settled on a starting lineup--and the season is almost over.
2. There seems to be no offensive strategy. Banks was 1-9. Gueye was 1-6 on 2 point shots. 13% FG in close for big men is sad. 30 points in the first 33 minutes. 6 FT made in the last 3:13 kept the points scored more respectable than the offense actually was.
3. If Pastner doesn't make staff improvements when the season is over, I don't expect him to dig out of this hole.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
This team plays scared. When the shot clock gets under 10 seconds, it's like watching a game of hot potato. None of them wants to be the guy that shoots and misses. I wish they all had the same apprehension about being the guy to pass the ball out of bounds as the shot clock expires.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
A note about McCamish: sell out crowd equals road game environment. I will never get used to getting run out of our own gym by the opposing team's fans.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
A note about McCamish: sell out crowd equals road game environment. I will never get used to getting run out of our own gym by the opposing team's fans.

Well when you suck for a decade and continue to make bone-headed decisions with the basketball program that's what you end up getting. Pity that a nice facility gets wasted year after year.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Well when you suck for a decade and continue to make bone-headed decisions with the basketball program that's what you end up getting. Pity that a nice facility gets wasted year after year.

Totally agree. It is a shame. We probably wouldn't have this problem if we played in podunk middle of nowhere, but in ATL, there is no shortage of visitor fans for pretty much every ACC or SEC team we play. Maybe when we remodeled, we should have reduced seating capacity to 4,000.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I could say a lot about the FSU game, but just 3 points:

1. It's troubling that Pastner hasn't settled on a starting lineup--and the season is almost over.
2. There seems to be no offensive strategy. Banks was 1-9. Gueye was 1-6 on 2 point shots. 13% FG in close for big men is sad. 30 points in the first 33 minutes. 6 FT made in the last 3:13 kept the points scored more respectable than the offense actually was.
3. If Pastner doesn't make staff improvements when the season is over, I don't expect him to dig out of this hole.

On point #1, when Moses starts, it is troubling. When he starts, but only plays 6 minutes in the game, you know Pastner is just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I could only listen but there wasn't much commentary about Haywood. 1 minute in the game. Was he another one with flu? No one included him in that. Or is he on the other side of the dog house now?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I could only listen but there wasn't much commentary about Haywood. 1 minute in the game. Was he another one with flu? No one included him in that. Or is he on the other side of the dog house now?

I was at the game, but I was wondering the same thing. I've been in favor of reducing his minutes, but 1 minute? That's curious.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So the silver linings.

Jose had a nice game which was very good to see.
Sjolund continues to cement himself as a 3 point threat which will be much needed and seems to be starting to understand the defensive side a bit more
Defense still held them to under 40% shooting and 30% from behind the arc. As frustrating as it is and as bleak as the outlook is for the future, as long as we have a good defense I see a chance of getting things going (not this year mind you).

The bad
Devoe did not have a good game. I'm not overly woried about it because freshmen will have ups and downs but was hoping he'd keep up his streak of good games.
AD and Banks were completely outmatched. I'm not surprised by this because of what FSU has, and thought it was the reason this is a bad matchup for us, but we need them to give us at least 20 combined points. They were 3-16 and just outmatched.
Alston playing 17 minutes. What really stood out to me was he had a break with Jose open on the other wing, and Alston puts his head down and banks the underside of the rim with the ball. Later Moore is in the exact same situation and drops it off to Jose for the layup. We have a lot of guys who make mistakes. But when Sjolund blows a defensive assignment at least he gives us a 3 point threat. When Moore is standing around too much at least he is gaining experience. When Wright bricks a 3, at least he brings length and athleticism to the other end. When Banks fumbles the ball away at least he is giving us a defensive presence. Same can be said for most of our team. But Alston gives us nothing and shouldn't be playing 7 minutes much less 17.

Going forward
For next year, defense should still be pretty good. Offensively I think we have the pieces to be solid if a year of experience can bring more consistency. Jose and Devoe have both shown at times of being able to be leading scorers. Banks and Sjolund should be able to give us nice complimentary scoring. If we could rely on those 4 to give us 50 or so then between Cole, Usher, Haywood, and Moore you would hope we could get 20 more on most days. However, even if experience brings consistency it's hard to really get by without someone who can go off for 25+ sometimes.